Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

$9k quote for lower timing cover seal repair '11 Q7 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $9k quote for lower timing cover seal repair '11 Q7 TDI

Hey guys,
I just took our '11 Q7 90k miles in to diagnose an oil leak. The SA called and told me the tech found the leak to be the lower timing cover seal and estimated the repair for the leak and "associated parts" to be $9k-$11k. I've asked multiple times for a breakdown of costs and they have still not sent me anything; all I have is an email stating the lower timing cover leak repair and a dollar amount. Has anyone else had this repair done recently? I'm trying to get an idea of (1) How likely this is the true issue and (2) A realistic repair cost. Thanks for any help
Old 06-08-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

find an independent mechanic, go over to tdiclub and look at trusted mechanics list, find someone nearby call em up and give em dealer diagnostic and ask for a quote.

I think I got the same leak but its so slow im not yanking engine out to fix it.
The following users liked this post:
Bugzy (01-19-2021)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
find an independent mechanic, go over to tdiclub and look at trusted mechanics list, find someone nearby call em up and give em dealer diagnostic and ask for a quote.

I think I got the same leak but its so slow im not yanking engine out to fix it.
Thanks Dreadlocks, I've found a local Indy shop that's been recommended on the forums. I agree with you, the leak is currently a few drops on the ground so I'm hesitant to dropping the engine to repair also depending on the Indy's quote. I'll check out tdiclub also, thanks for that suggestion.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

if its the timing chain cover its just a gravity leak for most part, so monitor consumption.. my oil level hardly drops between services.. If your going through all that trouble to fix the leak you should consider new tensioners on timing chain at the least since your already in there.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

if its the timing chain cover its just a gravity leak for most part, so monitor consumption.. my oil level hardly drops between services.. If your going through all that trouble to fix the leak you should consider new tensioners on timing chain at the least since your already in there.
Good to know, I keep an eye on consumption. I agree, if we're going through all that labor, I want to knock out some other maintenance concerns to make sure the car lasts...thanks again
Old 10-20-2021, 07:01 AM
PFM Manager

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vig03
Good to know, I keep an eye on consumption. I agree, if we're going through all that labor, I want to knock out some other maintenance concerns to make sure the car lasts...thanks again
Hi Vig03 and dreadlocks,

What did you end up doing? Has it finally gotten bad enough to fix or is it still manageable? Thank you, guys!
Old 10-25-2021, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The rear main seal was leaking oil and they fixed this when they fixed that issue which was covered by Extended Emissions Warranty via Dieselgate
Old 10-25-2021, 12:41 PM
PFM Manager

The rear main seal was leaking oil and they fixed this when they fixed that issue which was covered by Extended Emissions Warranty via Dieselgate
Thank you, dreadlocks. I don't think I'm so lucky. I'll try to get AoA to help but, I'm not so positive about them anymore.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 708 Likes on 588 Posts
Default TDI Extended Warranty in North America

It's not about luck; it's about going to the Audi/VW TDI Settlement site, entering your VIN#, reading every word of it (it's pretty short), and then printing out multiple copies of this singularly important document for easy reference. Download the file to send to your SA when calling for a warranty apptmnt. Don't be afraid to find a different dealer if your local one is crap.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 10-26-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:40 AM
PFM Manager

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
It's not about luck; it's about going to the Audi/VW TDI Settlement site, entering your VIN#, reading every word of it (it's pretty short), and then printing out multiple copies of this singularly important document for easy reference. Download the file to send to your SA when calling for a warranty apptmnt. Don't be afraid to find a different dealer if your local one is crap.
Hi '10Q7TDI_Prestige',

I do realize it's not about luck, as this isn't my first issue with a dealership trying not to honor a warranty issue. I have already counted out one dealership, as they wholly blew me off and said there was just some oil around the filler cap (which there wasn't). The second one took care of another warranty issue (reductant pump) but, said this wouldn't be covered. I've appealed to AoA, and am waiting on a response. I know this should be covered by the warranty and have told the SA and two AoA representatives that this does fall under the long block warranty. My hindrance seems to be the dealership's warranty administrator.

Quick Reply: $9k quote for lower timing cover seal repair '11 Q7 TDI