Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 Q7 Front Brake Replacement Cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The 350mm are the front rotors and the 330mm are the rears. be aware though as audi also optioned the q7 with 350mm rear rotors, but the brake calipers are different and quite easy to notice.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:57 AM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Up-it
The 350mm are the front rotors and the 330mm are the rears. be aware though as audi also optioned the q7 with 350mm rear rotors, but the brake calipers are different and quite easy to notice.
Thanks for the heads up. I don’t need to do the rear on mine quite yet, probably more towards the end of summer I’ll replace those. I did verify that the front end rotors are the 350mm rotor but the issue I had is that I was sent two entirely different sized rotors. I’m not sure that the second rotor I received was 330mm, it looks to be even smaller than that but it’s absolutely wrong. It was my mistake entirely by not doing my research before I ordered the parts. The one that I did verify was correct is the Brembo 350mm 09.C882.11. Thickness is 34mm, diameter 350mm.
The pads for the front end are Brembo Part # P85065N. I verified that I did receive the correct pad, with sensors included.

Not sure how how many people have stuck with using the OEM Brembo brakes or if other brands have yielded better results but for this round of brakes I decided to stick with OEM.

Im owning up to my mistake with the parts lol. I should have the correct second rotor here soon.

Last edited by Willgatlin25; 05-21-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All good. The best thing is the fronts are not directional which can add to another confusion when installing. My last brake pad set were brembo pads. They stopped quite well and minimal dust produced but they squealed on light braking, like going through a drive through etc. no matter what i did to the pads/ hardware etc the squeal could not be stopped. Recently I changed to bendix euro pads and had my rotors skimmed as I brought drilled and slotted Australian made rotors last time round and they just needed a fresh up. All in all just remember these q7’s are about 3000kg and wont stop as quick as a car that half its weight.
Also just be aware that the brake vacuum lines on the 4.2 are also quite prone to splitting/ cracking etc and may need to be monitored with your cars age mate.

Last edited by Up-it; 05-21-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Up-it
All good. The best thing is the fronts are not directional which can add to another confusion when installing. My last brake pad set were brembo pads. They stopped quite well and minimal dust produced but they squealed on light braking, like going through a drive through etc. no matter what i did to the pads/ hardware etc the squeal could not be stopped. Recently I changed to bendix euro pads and had my rotors skimmed as I brought drilled and slotted Australian made rotors last time round and they just needed a fresh up. All in all just remember these q7’s are about 3000kg and wont stop as quick as a car that half its weight.
Also just be aware that the brake vacuum lines on the 4.2 are also quite prone to splitting/ cracking etc and may need to be monitored with your cars age mate.
The rotors I bought are not drilled or slotted. I considered that because I absolutely hate it when you get that subtle rotor warp and everything shakes when you slow down. The old brakes that are on there now don’t shake at all. I’m not sure what pads and rotors are on it now but the pads make a horrible mess. If I drive for an hour the front rims end up completely coated in brake dust. Makes me wonder if someone put ceramic pads back on it or if they went with a cheap semi metallic. I suppose I’ll find out when I pull it apart.

Good info on the brake vacuum line issue. I actually have a ton of cracking on the old plastic vacuum lines. I replaced the one main tube that runs right next to the air box but I’ve noticed that every other line that T’s off from there is split at every connection point. The brakes feel fine but in the ECU I am getting an intermittent code for Brake Vacuum Circuit Open. I’m guessing there is still a vacuum leak somewhere but I’m gonna have to trace back where the brake vacuum lines go and properly replace each one. I did drive with the vacuum completely disconnected once for a very short trip back from the auto parts store and man that was hard. You’re not kidding the Q7 is heavy. Trying to stop that thing with no brake vacuum on the booster is an adventure. Better have a strong foot!
Old 05-21-2019, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you personally changed the brakes on your Q7 before?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by lentiman
Have you personally changed the brakes on your Q7 before?
Nope!
Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
Never heard of the Pagid brand. Heard a lot about Zimmerman rotors but I got a great deal on brembo rotors and pads for the front end.
The rears will need to be done soon but I have a little longer. Right now I’m 3mm on the front pads and 5mm on the rear... Fronts are toast. I have no idea why I’m not getting a dash warning for the brake pad being low because it’s visually toast. Also my drivers side rotor has a huge gouge in it and I have no idea what’s going on there. Almost looks like a chunk of something like a rock got caught between the pad and the rotor and just dug right into it. Due to that I’m scrapping the rotors completely and just installing new ones. I’ve turned rotors many times but the current ones look nasty and I doubt that can be turned out... not even going to try. When I do the brakes I’ll take pictures as I go and report back on this thread so you all can take a look.
I really do want to take the calipers off, super clean them, and give them a sexy coat of high gloss Brembo red. Powder coating would be the best way to go but the caliper would have to be gutted and rebuilt and I see no need to replace or reman the caliper at this point. I’ll know for sure when I pull it but nothing feels wrong in the braking system indicative of a failing caliper. As for now I think I’ll just clean them with a heavy dose of brake clean and a wire brush, spray them with some caliper paint and reinstall.

Thanks for the heads up on the M16 for the rear. The bit set I ordered goes up to M18 so I should be good there. It looks like there is one single M13 screw that has to come out to remove the front rotors, calipers appear to be held on by just 2 standard bolts. Looks like the M13 is more of a set screw.

Pagid is another OEM brand used by Audi/VW. If you shop at FCPeuro.com a lifetime guarantee is offered on all purchases. For all OEM rear sensors, rotors and pads the final bill came in at a little over $120 bucks which was the cost of return shipping (NorCal to CT). The lifetime warranty is on all parts (except fluids) but you have to have the original invoice. If you buy on-line then an invoice is generated in your account. The initial cost of OEM brake parts were $475 and that was two brake jobs ago and every subsequence brake job is about $120. A far cry from the stealership of $2000
Hope that helps.

Last edited by firemanj92; 05-21-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagid/Hella is the OEM brand
You must replace wear indicators/sensors with new pads
Front rotors are 350mm and 34mm thick
Rear rotors are either 330mm, or 358mm and 28mm thick

Front caliper bolts can be hard to remove, depending on when they were replaced last. I suggest replacing these bolts together with rotors/pads.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mackoau
Pagid/Hella is the OEM brand
You must replace wear indicators/sensors with new pads
Front rotors are 350mm and 34mm thick
Rear rotors are either 330mm, or 358mm and 28mm thick

Front caliper bolts can be hard to remove, depending on when they were replaced last. I suggest replacing these bolts together with rotors/pads.
From what I’ve found and speaking with Audi, my Q7 came stock with Brembo brand brakes, front and rear.
I plan on soaking down the caliper bolts with some PB Blast or similar before I try to back them out. I’ve snapped slide pins on calipers before trying to break them loose and I really don’t want that to happen.
I got the new correct rotor on order as of today. Should be here next week ish and then I’ll get started.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
From what I’ve found and speaking with Audi, my Q7 came stock with Brembo brand brakes, front and rear.
I plan on soaking down the caliper bolts with some PB Blast or similar before I try to back them out. I’ve snapped slide pins on calipers before trying to break them loose and I really don’t want that to happen.
I got the new correct rotor on order as of today. Should be here next week ish and then I’ll get started.
Sorry my bad, brembo pads are on the front and Hella/Pagid on the rear. Rotors are all Brembo, I believe.
Caliper bolts I was referring to are the ones that hold caliper to wheel bearing housing.

Quick Reply: 2008 Q7 Front Brake Replacement Cost