Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 Q7 MMI issues, replaced the amp and the mmi control unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Q7 MMI issues, replaced the amp and the mmi control unit

I had the normal water on the amplifier issue so I replaced the amplifier. The unit was then in CP component protection. Audi had the vehicle anyway for a recall so we had them program the radio. Well then they called and said that the mmi control unit was going bad and was turning on and off. They said the part was $3000. We'll I looked it up and found a video on YouTube and the guy replaced it in 20 min and the part was $60. We'll I ordered the part and replaced it today and the radio is still having issues while on am/fm its staticky and cuts out a lot. On CD it sounds normal but will randomly quit but not the screen. The screen will come up with
Device Error
Missing answer for notification
0x413

I am completely stumped I took the car to a friend with vagcom tonight and he ran a test and everything was fine. He did a fiber optic loop test and it passed besides the voice one but no codes. I don't believe I have voice control.

Im wondering could it be a bad ground that got corroded back by the amp? Am I missing something someone else knows? I love the car but this is driving me crazy. I'm the 2nd owner and it only has 67k I bought it at the end of 2015 with 43k it was a 1 owner family members car that was stored inside. I figured it would be a great car.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ben

Ever solve your problem?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my MMI failed, the LCD screen just went black. I did a fibre optic loop test on the Bluetooth module under the passenger seat (hard to get to), the BOSE amp (in right rear area), and finally the Sirius Satellite Radio module (also in right rear). It turned out the Sirius module was bad. Since I didn't have a Sirius subscription, I'm not going to miss it. I just left the fibre optic loop in place and reassembled the panel trim. The MMI works like a charm now! One day I may replace it with an XM module, I like XM better anyway. My vehicle was a 2007 Q7. So, check the Sirius Module then the harder to get to Bluetooth module!
Old 11-20-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi I was wondering exactly how you wired the loop into the satellite radio module? I have the loop and tried it on everything starting with the amp due to the water issue. THe only thing that makes a difference is using it on the Nav. When the loop is on the NAV the MMI will try to turn on and in 3 seconds shuts off. Otherwise, with everything normally pluegged in, I cannot even get the MMI to turn on for 3 seconds- just blank.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by otimmyboy
Hi I was wondering exactly how you wired the loop into the satellite radio module? I have the loop and tried it on everything starting with the amp due to the water issue. THe only thing that makes a difference is using it on the Nav. When the loop is on the NAV the MMI will try to turn on and in 3 seconds shuts off. Otherwise, with everything normally pluegged in, I cannot even get the MMI to turn on for 3 seconds- just blank.
Just unplug the Sirius Module and put the fibre optic loop tester on the car's wiring harness that was unplugged from the Sirius Module...........
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fixed (almost)

I found the problems. Turns out it was two modules including both the DVD navigation and amplifier. Was hard to find because I only bought one loop so I had to diy another loop. Now I'm off to a repair shop and see if they can fix either one.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Southendryder
I had the normal water on the amplifier issue so I replaced the amplifier. The unit was then in CP component protection. Audi had the vehicle anyway for a recall so we had them program the radio. Well then they called and said that the mmi control unit was going bad and was turning on and off. They said the part was $3000. We'll I looked it up and found a video on YouTube and the guy replaced it in 20 min and the part was $60. We'll I ordered the part and replaced it today and the radio is still having issues while on am/fm its staticky and cuts out a lot. On CD it sounds normal but will randomly quit but not the screen. The screen will come up with
Device Error
Missing answer for notification
0x413

I am completely stumped I took the car to a friend with vagcom tonight and he ran a test and everything was fine. He did a fiber optic loop test and it passed besides the voice one but no codes. I don't believe I have voice control.

Im wondering could it be a bad ground that got corroded back by the amp? Am I missing something someone else knows? I love the car but this is driving me crazy. I'm the 2nd owner and it only has 67k I bought it at the end of 2015 with 43k it was a 1 owner family members car that was stored inside. I figured it would be a great car.
hi southerndryder
What PART did you change to get the fibre optic system going ,i have exactly the same issue as yours and the Fiber optic system is off..
do you have the Youtube link by any chance.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjojo2004
When my MMI failed, the LCD screen just went black. I did a fibre optic loop test on the Bluetooth module under the passenger seat (hard to get to), the BOSE amp (in right rear area), and finally the Sirius Satellite Radio module (also in right rear). It turned out the Sirius module was bad. Since I didn't have a Sirius subscription, I'm not going to miss it. I just left the fibre optic loop in place and reassembled the panel trim. The MMI works like a charm now! One day I may replace it with an XM module, I like XM better anyway. My vehicle was a 2007 Q7. So, check the Sirius Module then the harder to get to Bluetooth module!
Did you ever resolve this issue? Im having similar issues with my SAT receiver. On my MMI screen the sat option is greyed out and says satellite radio is not installed. I ordered a spare But when I went to install it in the back trunk I saw a SAT receiver already there with some corrosion around the plug openings and it had everything plugged in minus the fiber optic cable that was on the loop. I swapped the receiver and plugged the fiber optic cable back into the new receiver and now my MMI radio went black and doesn’t power on. I took the fiber optic back off the SAT receiver and put it back on a loop and the radio started working again. What can be the issue ?
Old 09-19-2022, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bad SAT Module Probably

Originally Posted by shahzeb719
Did you ever resolve this issue? Im having similar issues with my SAT receiver. On my MMI screen the sat option is greyed out and says satellite radio is not installed. I ordered a spare But when I went to install it in the back trunk I saw a SAT receiver already there with some corrosion around the plug openings and it had everything plugged in minus the fiber optic cable that was on the loop. I swapped the receiver and plugged the fiber optic cable back into the new receiver and now my MMI radio went black and doesn’t power on. I took the fiber optic back off the SAT receiver and put it back on a loop and the radio started working again. What can be the issue ?
I would say your new SAT Module is also faulty.
The following users liked this post:
bg_2007Q7 (09-19-2022)