Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Q7- New battery Keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Q7- New battery Keeps dying

Greetings everyone. I'm an original owner with an complex issue and I hope someone here could give me some direction.

Our battery died in our car so we paid to have it replaced. They originally forgot to code it so it died right away. We had it towed into my certified shop (not the ones who replaced the battery) and that fixed that issue.

However, it died again three days later. Towed it back to the certified shop and they realized my alternator was going, so we replaced that.

Picked up the car and it died again. Sent it back and they did tests to see if the battery was drawing power from somewhere but it wasn't. They waited a few days and it started up for them so they released the car back to us... where it died a few days later.

We sent the car back again, and they read about older Q7's having issues with the AMP drawing power. They unplugged that and released the car to me. It lasted longer but still died after 4-5 days.

The shop calls my car possessed, and I'm ready to agree at this point. Retaliation for wanting to sell it perhaps?

Has anyone encountered or heard of this? I'm desperate as my new car will be delivered in a month or two.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

odd. something has to be using current. any recent work done to the car that could have altered the electronics?

Is there a Garmin of TomTom plugged in to the 12V? On the Q7 when the car is turned off the 12V is still on, so power will continue to flow. Good luck
Old 06-04-2016, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the suggestions. We do you have Audi installed headrests screens and Audi installed old iPod doc. They were original to when we ordered the car and no adjustments have been made. They are not on. No other GPS devices. You would think that those items would draw continuously and not sporadic, and so far, that hasn't shown to happen.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is happening when you removed your key your ECU is not shutting down after 1 min which turns off all your modules.

Question is do you have any keyless door handles? or any keyless key start button?
This can drained your battery, causes it not to shut off, it has a short.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by smith2010Q7
What is happening when you removed your key your ECU is not shutting down after 1 min which turns off all your modules.

Question is do you have any keyless door handles? or any keyless key start button?
This can drained your battery, causes it not to shut off, it has a short.

I do have Keyless entry. The battery in the key has been dead for almost a year, but I doubt that would matter right? This is VERY helpful. I'm going to pass on the idea to my shop and see what they think. I hope this is my answer because this has been an on going issue for months.

Any idea how expensive (ball park) if that it's that?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it will be not the battery on your FOB, your door handles can drain the battery by a short in the handle or a bad ANT.
Your keyless start can also drain by a bad ANT in your center console.
A scan will tell your when ANT or handle is bad.

handles run about 300-400 a piece. Ant unknown.

Like I said do not replace anything until your VAG scan will show your short some where.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bthomas48
Greetings everyone. I'm an original owner with an complex issue and I hope someone here could give me some direction.

Our battery died in our car so we paid to have it replaced. They originally forgot to code it so it died right away. We had it towed into my certified shop (not the ones who replaced the battery) and that fixed that issue.

However, it died again three days later. Towed it back to the certified shop and they realized my alternator was going, so we replaced that.

Picked up the car and it died again. Sent it back and they did tests to see if the battery was drawing power from somewhere but it wasn't. They waited a few days and it started up for them so they released the car back to us... where it died a few days later.

We sent the car back again, and they read about older Q7's having issues with the AMP drawing power. They unplugged that and released the car to me. It lasted longer but still died after 4-5 days.

The shop calls my car possessed, and I'm ready to agree at this point. Retaliation for wanting to sell it perhaps?

Has anyone encountered or heard of this? I'm desperate as my new car will be delivered in a month or two.
Did the shop stress test your new battery? It might be new but there might be a defective plate inside the battery that does not allow it to hold any charge. If the shop already measured the current drain in the car and said it was on spec, I suspect that the battery is not up to snuff.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds more like a defective replacement battery. Not coding in VAG wouldn't kill a new battery that fast...but what do I know? Battery should be under warranty, so make the original shop test it.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

had the same issue ended up being two modules the battery controller($500) and the main MMI brain ($2700!)
there was a slight draw overbite when the system would "rewake" and drain the system

This Q7 will be someone else problem since it was traded in on a 2015 Q7

long and short fix one item on the can bus and the next problem down the line will appear
Old 04-16-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2nd that

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Sounds more like a defective replacement battery. Not coding in VAG wouldn't kill a new battery that fast...but what do I know? Battery should be under warranty, so make the original shop test it.
Also is it an Audi battery or an after market battery, Audi's are finicky. Also I have gotten batteries, brand new (not for my audi however) that had a dead cell IOW one of the cells in the battery itself would only hold a surface charge as opposed to a deep cell charge and when that surface charge got to low the battery would simply die. It was discovered by removing the battery, putting a charge on it for 24 hours, then letting it sit for several days.