Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2011 Q7 trailer hitch install

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Its pre-wired for a brake controller, I documented the install: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...stall-2923836/

No special coding is necessary for brake controller.
The following users liked this post:
Corrado Alley (07-25-2022)
Old 10-02-2017, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, i'll definitely take a look at that brake controller addition. Now what if i were to tow a trailer without trailer brakes? Would it have any affect (since i'll be using the 4 pin connector?

Also, do you know why my ACC (adaptive cruise control on my prestige) is not available now that I have the hitch installed? I'm scratching my head on this one.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Brake Controller wont do anything if trailer dont have brakes; sounds like you messed up recoding the ACC when you installed the tow module.. The behavior changes when towing to give you more stopping room.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think the coding messed up. But I didn't even hook up the VCDS to it yet. I just plugged in the electronic module that came with the OEM hitch. I wonder if anyone can chime in on this... like what the settings should be like. I'm going to see if I can burrow a VCDS to use.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Trailer Hitch Retrofitting (4F) - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 05-19-2020, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Well after reading this thread and others I went ahead and started the swap. I figured it'd take me from 3-8 hours and I had it done in just over two hours. The hardest part was finding the red tab. They had mine hidden pretty good. I now need to get the coding done and it's all good. One thing I did notice is no one seems to have mentioned the hitch bolts are longer than non hitch bolts. I am glad I picked up new ones before starting. VW in Canada sells them for 2.50 a piece. Gotta love dremel....

Old 08-27-2020, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edzzed,

I was wondering about if the hitch bolts are longer than non hitch bolts. Did you pick up the longer ones from the dealer or somewhere else? I have everything off a wrecked car except the bolts.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bozack
Edzzed,

I was wondering about if the hitch bolts are longer than non hitch bolts. Did you pick up the longer ones from the dealer or somewhere else? I have everything off a wrecked car except the bolts.
They are longer. I ordered these when I did my 2011 Q7 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/n91029202/
bozack (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPlus
They are longer. I ordered these when I did my 2011 Q7 https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ach/n91029202/
I bought new bolts from a VW dealer. Cheaper parts. Same bolts as Audi. I would have bought new in any case as they may be torque to yield bolts. They are also longer if I recall. I did not know that info when I removed the bumper cover and was happy I had bought new bolts. VW bolts were about https://parts.cowellvw.com/p/Volkswa...L0092737A.html and that is in Canadian dollars

Last edited by Edzzed; 08-27-2020 at 11:30 AM.
bozack (08-27-2020)
Old 12-29-2021, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 727 Likes on 602 Posts
Default ACTUAL 4L TOW MODULE PROGRAMMING; REPOSTED

BUMP: Just installed tow-hitch package from Audi on a '15, and had to search all over for this info...this should be a sticky post! This is specific to the Audi Tow Kit, which is integrated with multiple car systems. At the top of this thread is the full hitch installation documented step by step.

VCDS is the 'original' long-coding tool, but other diagnostic scantools can also perform the long coding required on your car for towing setup, so long as you know what codes to change, and to what. You generally need to enter a workshop code (read the VCDS links to the Wiki; it provides the outline, but not the specific codes required, and it provides you an example for shop code entry. Failure to enter a shop code usually ends in disappointment) Granted, your car may have more features, so you may need to do a bit more research, or just buy the VCDS setup.

Originally Posted by pcoliver
As Promised, here are my settings based on my 2011 Q7 features. Your changes may vary based on additional features you may have like Lane Assist and Level Control.

My specific changes are in Bold underline.
Trailer Hitch Retrofitting (4L)
From Ross-Tech Wiki Configuration
The following Activations are necessary to ensure that the newly fitted parts are properly recognized and are ready to use.

1-Update the Installation List in the Gateway (J533 / #19). Register the newly added 69 - Trailer Control Module via the Installation List Function. (I just checked the “Trailer” check box)
2-Update the Trailer Control Module (J345 / #69) Coding.(I set mine to “2”)-Not all Retrofitting Kits contain Diagnostic capable Trailer Control Modules, some Aftermarket Modules may even be pre-coded. This Step can be ignored for Modules which are not Diagnostic capable. Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be used by the Long Coding Assistant once you access the Function using VCDS. If an Aftermarket Module is installed, check the Retrofitting Kit for further Instructions.

3-Update the Engine Control Module (J623 / #01) Coding. (not applicable to my Q7)
 Make sure that the Engine is NOT running, otherwise the new Coding will be rejected. Models equipped with Start/Stop System do have a Shutoff Switch/Button which will deactivate the Start/Stop Function.
 For Engines with a 2nd Engine Control Module (J624 / #11) this needs to be coded as well.
 As a Rule of Thumb, If the Engine uses conventional Short Coding (Coding is 7-digits like 0011312) the Long Codding Assistant does NOT apply. Modules using Short Coding typically do NOT support or require Trailer Configuration Coding. If the Engine Control Module uses a Long Coding the Activation is done in (Long) Coding itself through via Coding Assist. Please also note that there are different Coding Variants for Long Coding.
 Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be used by the Long Coding Assistant once you access the Function using VCDS.

4-Update the Brake Electronics (J104 / #03) Configuration. (Did not change anything here)
 To enable the Trailer Stabilization Subtract 0000016 from the existing Coding (e.g. 0033937 - 0000016 = 0033921).
 Additional Information may be shown once you access the Coding Function using VCDS.

5-Update the Level Control (J197 / #34) Coding, if installed. (Not applicable to my Q7)
 Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be shown once you access the Function using VCDS.

6-Update the Parking Aid (J446 / #76) Coding, if installed. ( initial setting was 0221266 and changed it to 0231266)
 Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be shown once you access the Function using VCDS.

7-Update the Rear View Camera (J772 / #6C) Coding, if installed. (initial setting was 1021101 and changed it to 1031101)
 Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be displayed once you access the Coding Function using VCDS.

8-Update the Lane Change Assist (J769 / #3C) Coding, if installed. (not applicable to my Q7)
 Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be displayed once you access the Coding Function using VCDS.

9-Update the Distance Regulation (J428 / #13) Coding, if installed. (not applicable to my Q7; this is for the 'Advanced Cruise Control' or ACC)
Edzzed (12-29-2021)

Quick Reply: 2011 Q7 trailer hitch install