Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Audi Q7 Water leak driver and passenger footwell

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi Q7 Water leak driver and passenger footwell

Just purchased a used 2015 Q7 about two months ago. It has 35,000 miles on it. Last week I took a sweeping off ramp to the right at fair speed and cool water came pouring on my right (by the accelerator) foot. I reached down and it was definitely water. When I stopped I looked to see where the water came from and I didn't find any obvious spot.

I kept driving the car in the ensuing days without anymore water. About seven days later I was about an hour into driving and again water leaked onto my right foot. This time it was noticeably hot. I reached down again and felt the carpet towards the top of the tunnel, right of accelerator and to my surprise it was very, very hot.

A couple of days later again the water was leaking on the driver and passenger side footwells.

I'm thinking it has to do something with the air conditioning and the water that accumulates because of it. I don't know how to fix or locate the tube that would normally drain this water.

This is my first Audi I've ever owned. The vehicle is still under warranty for a little bit. I've contacted my local Audi dealer (I didn't buy the used Audi from them) They are not sure this will be covered by warranty.

I have not taken any vehicle in for service for over 15 years. I'm pretty handy and take on any problem that comes my way. My last vehicle that the Q7 replaced was a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer that I bought new and it never saw the inside of the dealership. I still have it and it doesn't leak water on my feet.

I hope Audi and or this water leaking problem doesn't turn out to be a nightmare. I really want to love this Q7 but we are off to a rocky start. I can't believe a vehicle of this price and alleged quality have this kind of problem.

I'm new to this forum and pardon my long post, I'm just looking for any insight more experienced Audi owners might have on my situation.

Oh by the way I see all kinds of information on the known problems of Audi's leaking at the sunroof drain tubes but it all seems to be older information. I don't find anything about a 2015 having this problem and the time it was very warm to hot water has me perplexed.

Thank you,
Marshall
Old 07-12-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Marshall, I would start by removing the two rubber drain nipples inside each wheel well, just remove the liner. They tend to collect leaves and debris then clog over time. After that is done, go inside, look under the glove box and you will see a tube going to the firewall. Thats the ac drain, disconnect it and clear it. That should take care of your problem.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

B490MTL,
Thank you for the reply, especially for the location of the A/C drain. I haven't had time to look yet and my local Audi dealer has yet to email me back on scheduling a service appointment. I'm finding out not much has changed in the last 15 years in terms of customer service at car dealerships by me.

When I get the time to look myself I will post my findings.

Again, Thank you for the reply!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Get a roll of Weed Eater String, open sunroof and shove it down into the tubes to clear out any debris.. If you dont park it in a Garage every night, you should do this yearly IMHO.. If you park it under trees all the time mebe more frequently.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Get a roll of Weed Eater String, open sunroof and shove it down into the tubes to clear out any debris.. If you dont park it in a Garage every night, you should do this yearly IMHO.. If you park it under trees all the time mebe more frequently.
This ^^^ The last time I had water in BOTH front footwells it was the dreaded failure of the front sunroof drain tubes. When I located the part numbers and ordered new drain tubes, I noticed they were no different than the old ones--so there were NO design improvements. I just removed both A pillar trim pieces, lowered the headliner in the front area, disconnected the drain tube from the sunroof frame, cut off the connector, and shoved the bare rubber tube back over the drain nipple. I reinforced the connection with a zip tie. NO LEAKS ever since.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting that the OP states "I kept driving the car in the ensuing days without anymore water. About seven days later I was about an hour into driving and again water leaked onto my right foot. This time it was noticeably hot. I reached down again and felt the carpet towards the top of the tunnel, right of accelerator and to my surprise it was very, very hot."

This leads me to think it may be a pinhole in the radiator core. Short drives may not get the pressure up enough to make a significant water spot yet after an "hour into driving" water leaked into the accelerator area.

To the OP, do you live in a rainy area and have you found the water during or shortly after the downpours? If not then I suggest you get the heater area checked for a pinholed heater core or heater hoses.

Grey
Old 07-19-2017, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You would have expected the coolant level would have dropped by now and the OP would have noticed the distinctive smell of antifreeze.

My guess is it is the air plenum chamber filled with debris and water.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 water leak resolved?

@mschjone
Did you resolve the footwell water leaks? And do you think it was the AC or the blocked drains?
Im having the same problems with hot and cold foot baths on both driver and front passenger foot wells. Have a 2014 Q7. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
TeriMc (06-28-2022)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Never a definitive fix. Took it to Audi dealership. They said they used garden hose to simulate rain for 20 minutes. They checked all roof drain tubes none of them were plugged and could not get water in the footwell area like I described.

I live in Wisconsin so we just came out of winter and it hasn't leaked since last summer. I'm still worried though that it will happen again. Time will tell.

As for one one of the responses above, it definitely was'nt antifreeze.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
My guess is it is the air plenum chamber filled with debris and water.
Mine too. There is a gap at each end of the plenum screened cover ( plastic under the wipers) It allows leaves to get into the plenum which can plug the drains. On our 2011 I covered these openings with black duct tape. ( I need to do this to the 2015). Suggest you open that plenum cover and inspect for debris. Vacuum out and blow out with compressed air as necessary.

Quick Reply: 2015 Audi Q7 Water leak driver and passenger footwell