Go Back  AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 / Q8 > Audi Q7 > Q7 Discussion
Reload this Page >

2015 Q7 Requiring Oil Top Ups. Is that normal?

Q7 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015 Q7 Requiring Oil Top Ups. Is that normal?

 
Old 12-25-2018, 07:02 PM
  #1  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 47
Default 2015 Q7 Requiring Oil Top Ups. Is that normal?

My 2015 gas model with 70,000 miles has had the oil light come on twice recently just before the scheduled oil change interval. It has required less than a quart of oil.
Is this normal around this age/miles for a Q7? Dealer said it is normal.
Should I be concerned?

I have Audi extended warranty untl 100k and was wondering if there is anything I should be asking the dealer to look at.
Audi Vader is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: 2007 Q7 3.6
Posts: 310
Default

apparently its normal for an engine with 0 miles on it these days. which engine do you have?
I know its normal for my 07 3.6l with 158k on it. but apparently newer VW engines its normal or they claim its normal.
bspurloc is offline  
Old 12-26-2018, 04:21 PM
  #3  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by bspurloc View Post
apparently its normal for an engine with 0 miles on it these days. which engine do you have?
I know its normal for my 07 3.6l with 158k on it. but apparently newer VW engines its normal or they claim its normal.
I have a supercharged 3.0-liter V-6 gas engine (the Premium Plus 280 hp version). It didnít burn any oil since new until now. I have owned many brands and I canít remeber having to top them up with oil. I recall Audi 4 cylinder turbos burning oil but I havenít heard anything about this V6.
Audi Vader is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 03:24 PM
  #4  
AudiWorld Member
 
flynavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: calif.
Posts: 550
Default my 2012

Q7 S line prestige (333 hp) seems to like a 1/2 quart every 5000 miles or so depending on my driving. It has done this to varying degree ever since i got it and at 120,000k it still stays the same oil is cheap and it has never leaked a drop so I have to assume it is going out the tail pipe.
flynavy is offline  
Old 12-28-2018, 05:47 PM
  #5  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by flynavy View Post
Q7 S line prestige (333 hp) seems to like a 1/2 quart every 5000 miles or so depending on my driving. It has done this to varying degree ever since i got it and at 120,000k it still stays the same oil is cheap and it has never leaked a drop so I have to assume it is going out the tail pipe.
Thanks for sharing. I assume my oil is going out of the exhaust pipe as well. I checked for leaks and everything looks dry on the engine.
Audi Vader is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 AM
  #6  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 10
Default

Originally Posted by Audi Vader View Post
My 2015 gas model with 70,000 miles has had the oil light come on twice recently just before the scheduled oil change interval. It has required less than a quart of oil. Is this normal around this age/miles for a Q7? Dealer said it is normal. Should I be concerned?
Vader, assuming you have SC 3.0T, high oil consumption is extensively discussed on A6 C6 and A4 B7 threads.
It appears the main culprit is PCV malfunction and no real solution to the problem. However, I haven't noticed anyone
reporting about engine damage or emission problems. Dealers offer PCV replacement and software remapping but the problem
returns. I was convinced that that issue was confined to early years of 3.0t production but it appears that MY2015 is not immune
to it too, as someone reported on this thread.
That concerns me very much as my 2009 A6 consistently takes one qt/600mil but 2014 Q7 is not consuming anything measurable yet.
Butrym is offline  
Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 AM
  #7  
AudiWorld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 47
Default

Originally Posted by Butrym View Post


Vader, assuming you have SC 3.0T, high oil consumption is extensively discussed on A6 C6 and A4 B7 threads.
It appears the main culprit is PCV malfunction and no real solution to the problem. However, I haven't noticed anyone
reporting about engine damage or emission problems. Dealers offer PCV replacement and software remapping but the problem
returns. I was convinced that that issue was confined to early years of 3.0t production but it appears that MY2015 is not immune
to it too, as someone reported on this thread.
That concerns me very much as my 2009 A6 consistently takes one qt/600mil but 2014 Q7 is not consuming anything measurable yet.

Butrym, thank you. Yes, I have SC 3.0T engine. Since I started this thread, one of my friends who bought a 2015 Q7 S-line SC 3.0T just got his first oil level warning at 40,000 miles. It is good to know this does not cause any damage.

The part that kind of bugs me, over the years I would notice when Audi’s on the highway would accelerate quickly (being punched) and there would be a puff of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. I would say to myself, what a s*** box. That was years ago and I assumed the oil burning problem would have been solved by now.


Last edited by Audi Vader; 01-27-2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Sentence edit
Audi Vader is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 06:05 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 5
Default Did oil consumption cause my engine to die?

My 2012 Q7 3.0L always needs (needed?!) oil too - and this week the engine just stopped while driving! They tell me that it has a "seized cylinder 1 rod bearing" and is beginning to develop rod knock. At every service I ask about the oil and they say its normal, no worries. Now I need a new engine @ $30K+.
lalunia is offline  
Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 PM
  #9  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 512
Default

Normal
bmwrt is offline  
Old 05-05-2019, 01:55 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: 2007 Q7 3.6
Posts: 310
Default

1/2 quart at 5000 miles is normal for most cars. that is not what these others are seeing. the oil light doesnt come on at 1/2 quart low... its usually triggered at 2 quarts low which shouldnt happen at 5000 miles or 10,000 miles but apparently audi thinks so?
bspurloc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Q7 Requiring Oil Top Ups. Is that normal?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: