Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Q7 TDI Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q7 TDI Remote Start?

Would really love to get a remote start for my 2015 Q7 TDI but my audiovox remote start that I had on my A3 TDI won't work. Any remote start that will work on my TDI? Also have a 2016 A6 gas engine that needs a remote start too.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

why? remote starting it wont warm it up at all, diesels dont generate enough heat at idle, gotta drive em.. most diesel owners put a 120v frostheater or an Eberspacher diesel heater in em for quick warmth.
The following users liked this post:
Levysean20 (12-11-2020)
Old 03-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tired of having to go outside to a freezing car and start the engine walk walk back inside to wait for it to warm up the interior and defrost the windows and get the seat warmers up to temp before I get in and drive, yes it does heat up when its idling as I have done it too many times before but I need a remote starter and audiovox that I had on my 2012 A3 TDI doesn't have a software update that will work with the 2015 Q7 TDI because of the separate start and stop buttons on the 2015 Q7 TDI
Old 03-07-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oof, if your idling it for 20mins to get heat your putting a ton of wear and tear on the engine.. ok you can idle it long enough it will warm up, but thats because of the EGR and other emissions crap.. Its terrible on your engine to do this, your fouling out your engine oil and valve train and overall just doing a bunch of abuse by idling your engine for 15mins+ well outside of nominal operating temp.. also its terrible for the environment and totally illegal in most of europe.

Just because you can dont mean you should, you bought a Diesel and not a gasser, they generate so very little heat that if it wasent breathing its own exhaust it'd never reach operating temp just idling... pucker up butter cup and get your self a nice coat, gonna be cold in the mornings.. Look at the frost heater, plug it into a timer to come on a few hours before you leave in the morning and then you can start it up, turn the heat on and drive away in warmth.

but hey, its your car.. if you wanna take a dump in the engine then go for it.. but I doubt you'll find anyone here whom put a remote start on one and can help you out.
Levysean20 (12-11-2020)
Old 03-07-2019, 07:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Really this is what is called a forum and you get ridiculed for asking a question...fine
Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dreadlocks is a solid contributor here. If I was going to do something to my car/boat/house and got input from someone with experience that it would likely cause damage I'd appreciate the input. Doesn't mean I'd like the input.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On my mk4 tdi, I had the frost heater installed and did what dreadlocks recommended here. You get instant heat through your vents as you drive off and the car started much smoother in ridiculously cold temperatures.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by lentiman
dreadlocks is a solid contributor here. If I was going to do something to my car/boat/house and got input from someone with experience that it would likely cause damage I'd appreciate the input. Doesn't mean I'd like the input.
plus 1
Old 03-07-2019, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is what the EGR does to the intake manifold and valve train on a Direct Injection Diesel engine:

Recirculating unburnt diesel fuel back into the intake leads to a bunch of carbon buildup that eventually chokes out the engine, without fuel injectors spraying fuel into the intake to clean this stuff up the tops of the valves have to be walnut blasted to clear this crap off.. nothing you add to your fuel tank can fix this.

But wait there is more, all this carbon is also clogging up the diesel particulate filter, emissions sensors and catalysts.. The fuel is mixing with the oil because its not at operating temp and your getting alot of blow by and unburnt fuel.. the turbo and engine valvetrain are being lubricated with cold oil for extended times while the engine coolant steals heat from the engine oil via oil cooler.

Its not just Diesels, but is rather worse because diesel fuel leaves so much more particulate matter behind, every VW/Audi diesel motor made this century starts exhibiting carbon fouling issues when put on short, quick duty cycles that dont let it reach operating temp (like only ever driving it a few miles max).. This is entirely due to heavy usage of the EGR which should be rarely used since its deactivated at operating temp.. The 2.0T Gas Direct Injection engines VW/Audi uses are plagued by the same issues, this forum is full of posts about it, a whole cottage industry has cropped up to provide intake cleaning and walnut blasting, its far from limited to only VW/Audi but since they really pioneered Direct Injection passenger vehicles they kinda ended up learning all these lessons the hard way for everyone else.

but hey, whadda I know? I'm just some ******* on the internet providing opinions when asked..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.
alangelier (10-07-2020)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2015 Q7 Vorsprung TDI with a 2 way Viper 7756v remote start installed by the Audi dealer, 4 years with no issues so far.

Quick Reply: 2015 Q7 TDI Remote Start?