Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Adaptive Air Suspension Ride vs Standard Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Air Suspension Ride vs Standard Suspension

I am getting ready to order a Q7 or possibly pull the trigger on a pre-owned unit. Finding one with adaptive air to test drive is particular difficult.

So my question is how the air suspension compares with the standard suspension in ride quality. Is comfort setting similar to the standard suspension or is it softer? I like the standard suspension but would appreciate a softer ride on occasion. I Dynamic more aggressive than the standard suspension?

Thanks in advance.

Ryles
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We ordered our Q7 with the air suspesion on 2-15. How can I find out about operation of system, a switch to change modes and what happens after?
Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We ordered our Q7 with the air suspension on 2-15. How can I find out about operation of system, a switch to change modes and what happens after?
Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

I can comment on Air suspension. I ride in dynamic mode 99.9% of the time and am pleased with the ride around town and on long trips.

I may go into comfort mode once in a while just to see the difference...

I LOVE the loading feature and use it at least once a week, really helps having the cargo area lowered to help loading/unloading.

i drove a loaner once with std. susp. and noticed more of a body roll in corners...expected in an suv.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

After owning a Q7 without, our next one will have it. Will be a deal-breaker for me. Not only does it ride better, but it looks better, has nice features like the loading, plus you can do some nice tricks with VAG-COM.

I would keep hunting if you think you might want it.

Jimbo
Old 03-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Even on dynamic the ride feels better than the standard suspension. It is def. a deal breaker for me. However, my wife does not notice the difference.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adaptive air was the only option my wife wanted on a q7. We test drove all different cars and we were suprised how badly the q7 drove without the air suspension. We leave ours on dynamic, but on long trips comfort. I am deciding if i should lower it more with the vagcom.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ryles
I am getting ready to order a Q7 or possibly pull the trigger on a pre-owned unit. Finding one with adaptive air to test drive is particular difficult.

So my question is how the air suspension compares with the standard suspension in ride quality. Is comfort setting similar to the standard suspension or is it softer? I like the standard suspension but would appreciate a softer ride on occasion. I Dynamic more aggressive than the standard suspension?

Thanks in advance.

Ryles
I made the mistake of buying one without testing the air ride. I was curious to find one once I read everyone was raving about it so once I did I had to have it. Don't pull the trigger just yet and be patient in finding one with the option. It will be worth it. However, its my first air ride and my main concern is long term reliability....last 100k miles?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phidailo
I made the mistake of buying one without testing the air ride. I was curious to find one once I read everyone was raving about it so once I did I had to have it. Don't pull the trigger just yet and be patient in finding one with the option. It will be worth it. However, its my first air ride and my main concern is long term reliability....last 100k miles?
I'm also concerned about long term reliability since I purchase cars to own long term. The A6 All Road Avants were notoriously problematic and unreliable due to air suspension issues/failures.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you intend to tow, air suspension is almost a must have (my opinion). It compensates for load and weight to keep the vehicle level, which makes towing a breeze (especially with the TDI....). No problems at all with the system and I tow a lot.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Air Suspension Ride vs Standard Suspension