Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

Hi folks,

Quick question re the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC):

Does this system work in stop-start traffic (stop-and-go driving, etc.)?

The Audi Q7 brochure describes the ACC working at "speeds between 0-120mph". I assume then it can be used it heavy traffic/congestion?

Although, I assume the ACC's inability to see around corners could make this useless in town traffic (if indeed it does work this way)? The brochure does further go on to say that ACC comes with Audi Braking Guard...some clarity on how this works in conjunction with ACC would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any responses.

R
Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

according to what i saw on the Audi site.....the ACC has some use in 'Stop and Go' traffic but a couple of things makes it not very useful for heavy barely moving traffic, despite the speed range

its designed to detect forward moving vehicles so the driver must stay alert for something in the road that isnt moving (like a carcass). The ACC will allow for traffic that is making you slow down to almost a stop and starting again and it will even bring the car to a complete stop since the Q7 will do 0-120 as you said.....but keep in mind that the ACC has an auto-deactivate feature that is triggered by several things...one of which is if it brings the car to a stop for more than 2 seconds

its not a big problem since you can simply reactivate by pushing the little stock thingy to get moving again, but if you are stopping quite a bit i assume it would get annoying fast and probably best to go with manual pilot until things open up a little

as for the ABG system when you come up on a car that is slowing down the car first sounds a chime to alert you and if you ignore that the car will jerk with the brakes a couple times to get you to notice...Audi suggest that you not rely on the ABG to avoid obstacles
Old 03-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
according to what i saw on the Audi site.....the ACC has some use in 'Stop and Go' traffic but a couple of things makes it not very useful for heavy barely moving traffic, despite the speed range

its designed to detect forward moving vehicles so the driver must stay alert for something in the road that isnt moving (like a carcass). The ACC will allow for traffic that is making you slow down to almost a stop and starting again and it will even bring the car to a complete stop since the Q7 will do 0-120 as you said.....but keep in mind that the ACC has an auto-deactivate feature that is triggered by several things...one of which is if it brings the car to a stop for more than 2 seconds

its not a big problem since you can simply reactivate by pushing the little stock thingy to get moving again, but if you are stopping quite a bit i assume it would get annoying fast and probably best to go with manual pilot until things open up a little

as for the ABG system when you come up on a car that is slowing down the car first sounds a chime to alert you and if you ignore that the car will jerk with the brakes a couple times to get you to notice...Audi suggest that you not rely on the ABG to avoid obstacles
Thanks for that clear explanation.

I didn't realise the 2 second stop deactivation rule. Living in London is frequently like being in a car park. Thought it maybe a boon for congestion and slow moving traffic.

I guess ACC is much better utilised on open stretches, nonetheless I think I'll keep this option ticked. ABG is part of the ACC package so I guess that is an added bonus in safety terms.

Thanks again, I have seen the technical video but your explanation has given much more clarity.

Have you personally had the chance to use this? If so, have you found it a useful option?

Cheers
Old 03-18-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RS3_Hopeful
Thanks for that clear explanation.

I didn't realise the 2 second stop deactivation rule. Living in London is frequently like being in a car park. Thought it maybe a boon for congestion and slow moving traffic.

I guess ACC is much better utilised on open stretches, nonetheless I think I'll keep this option ticked. ABG is part of the ACC package so I guess that is an added bonus in safety terms.

Thanks again, I have seen the technical video but your explanation has given much more clarity.

Have you personally had the chance to use this? If so, have you found it a useful option?

Cheers
glad to help...my Q7 hasnt arrived yet but im sure somebody on here can tell you how good it can be from experience

good luck!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The system works in stop and go.. but if you stop it will only hold for a few seconds.. beeps at you and then releases the brakes. Not sure what you mean by "look around corners".. it actually does a good job of working on curvey roads or highways... but obviously line of sight. The system is really quite amazing... i absolutly love it!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have it on my Q7 and it works brilliant. I would even go so far as to say that stop/start traffic is where ACC is at its best – almost as if that is what it has actually been designed for. Pulling away after coming to a standstill by pulling on the ACC stalk, is sometimes a bit slow, even with the system set to “Dynamic” (i.e. most aggressive mode). In such instance, one can always help with the accelerator to get it moving more rapidly, but I would have liked the system to do its thing on its own. I suppose that was to be expected though - It would have been dangerous if pulling on the stalk resulted in the car pulling away aggressively. It is almost as if the system was designed to give the driver the opportunity to step on the brakes before the vehicle starts accelerating, in case the stalk was accidentally pulled. (The slow response to pull away after coming to a standstill, is not an issue if the traffic starts moving before the ACC cancels itself – then it reacts immediately. Oh, be wide awake at four way (stop) crossings. Obviously the vehicle stops itself if there is one in front of you. The fun starts if there are other vehicles (crossing your path) which had arrived before you did but after the vehicle in front of you and have right of way as far as your vehicle is concerned. If the vehicle in front of you pulls away (within the 2 sec stopping period), the Q pulls away as well, because there is nothing in front telling it to stop – this can become embarrassing, since the vehicle crossing your vehicle’s direction, which had arrived after the vehicle in front of you, but before you, at the crossing, has right of way. So remember to put your foot on the brake pedal at four way stops)
I short, the ACC works great in traffic, although I would have liked it to be somewhat more aggressive, especially since one is able to select 3 (if I remember correctly) different modes of “aggressiveness” (that is apart from the following distance, which also has 3 different options). Even the most aggressive mode, is sometimes still very “sleepy” and slow to react.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

it wasn't something i had planned to order but the Q I eventually got had it as part of the package. Have only played with it briefly (like any guy I haven't read the instructions!)but I must admit to liking what i have seen. You can basically switch it on and then it slows down going through speed zones etc as you keep pace with the traffic..

Last edited by scotskier; 03-19-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you guys, detailed descriptions much appreciated.

BFN949 - cheers bud, exactly the information specifics I was after.

Will keep this option ticked - cheers.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Guys - could I please ask a question. If I buy a used say 2014 or 2015 Q7 with adaptive cruise control (a really rare thing as it turns out - people spend thousands on leather and stuff but not on ACC), does ACC also come with ABG. I have had a couple of incidents where I went into the back of people on the motorway and I am terrified of it - so may be this system will give me a bit more comfort.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes it is bundled together as it uses the same sensor to measure the distance.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control