Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Another towing thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by not2fast
How does the air suspension hold up under towing? My MDX had it and I was not happy with how it towed a pair of wave runners. You could really feel them back there. The Xterra rear factory springs are a weak point. I had no problem with wave runners, but with the boat I decided to add the Timbren upgrade and spring helpers. I don't see many options for upgrading suspension on rear of Q7. Is the stock that good or do not a lot of people tow with them?
My 2015 has the air suspension, and it tows like a dream. In fact, I would not want to tow without it. The self leveling with varying weight is the best part.

I've towed my 4400 lb Kimberley Karavan across the US and to Alaska and back from Atlanta. For me, air suspension is mandatory for good towing.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corrected. MDX was magentic suspension.

​​​​​​
Old 06-23-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Factory Air Suspension is the bees knees, nothing needs upgraded.. Love my bags, and really love em when towing..

Old 06-23-2018, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Very nice. I put up a WTB ad on craigslist to see if I can find a V8 locally with Tow and Air suspension from someone that has taken care of it.

On another note, I ran into a boat ramp today that put the Xterra to good use. It was sand washed with about 2 to 3 inches of sand over the ramp. Before putting in I watched a guy in his Ford F-150 pulling out an aluminum fishing boat struggle to get his boat out of the water. I was a little concerned how I would far with a much bigger boat on that ramp.

When I had to get the boat out I had to back all 4 wheels into the water to get the boat on the trailer I didn't mess around. I backed in and put it in 4Low. Turned on the locking rear def and pulled the boat out without the spin of a tire. I am thinking I am going to have to talk my wife into letting us keep that for her son. I like having something rugged around from time to time.

Last edited by not2fast; 06-24-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am still missing my old A3.

VWVortex.com - Wanted a Golf R with a DSG so I bought an A3 2.0T Quattro
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Comment from Yamaha Boater FB page. He tows the 242 Limited which is a pretty big boat.

Q7 TDI tows like a dream. My prior vehicle was 2015 RAM 1500 with 5.7 hemi and 4.10 gears. This is light years better. Even though the engine is smaller, it puts out more torque, gets 2x better mileage and has much stronger brakes. We tow boat from Atlanta to south Flordia twice per year.

Last edited by not2fast; 06-27-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 06-27-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Factory Air Suspension is the bees knees, nothing needs upgraded.. Love my bags, and really love em when towing..

Dam I love that look!
I will be getting 18's when I need to replace, or maybe just for winter months? Decisions decisions!
Old 06-27-2018, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I wear em all year long.. dont really see the point of swapping em on a vehicle like this.. in the winter I want the three peak mountain and snowflake symbol, and in the summer I want the sidewall and traction for towing and off-roading.. now if this was a performance vehicle that demands summer tires for maximum fun factor, and I had to commute in it all year long, perhaps I'd be more keen on having two sets of wheels.. I'll never be taking this Q to the track or do anything in it that requires high speed/performance tires.

Last weekend went to the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, there's no established camping sites as its literally the only day of the year they let yeh camp.. had a very rutted out and washed away loop we camped on that even the sheriff on his ATV decided was too risky to try.. Q7 and my trailer made it through just fine, wheels were spun and dirt went flying.. any lesser of a tire and I'd of been stuck.. Think we ended up snagging one of the better camping sites simply because everyone else was too afraid to take a trailer down that path.. guy whom camped next to us in an easier to reach spot took over a dozen tries to get his smaller trailer into it... he commented "it must of been hell getting that trailer into your spot".. I just kinda nodded as I didnt want to offend the poor bastard, but in reality I used 2-way radio's and my wife backed me right on in on the first try..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 06-27-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by not2fast
How does the air suspension hold up under towing? My MDX had it and I was not happy with how it towed a pair of wave runners. You could really feel them back there. The Xterra rear factory springs are a weak point. I had no problem with wave runners, but with the boat I decided to add the Timbren upgrade and spring helpers. I don't see many options for upgrading suspension on rear of Q7. Is the stock that good or do not a lot of people tow with them?
The Q7 on air tows fantastically. The leveling, anti-sway programming, brakes, etc of the whole package is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Another towing thread