Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anticipated cost to replace rotors and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pdisme:

We are glad to have another DIY/wrencher in our midst! It's a tough job but satisfying when done. I ended up cleaning and painting my calipers red while I was at it.

Everything you need to know is in this thread including the YouTube video:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...dbits-2865503/

My Hawk PC pads have been awesome - no dust and no squeal, smooth stopping. I realize JP above and several others here do not like ceramic pads, but I will never go back to metallic on the Q7 land yacht. Let us know how the LTS work out. If you run into problems during the job - post and we will chime in.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

FCP is good to go. I've ordered OEM wiper blades from them for my S6 and when on sale, they had the best price I could find. Shipped quickly as well.

Originally Posted by sashir
Also, does anyone have any experience with ordering parts from FCPEuro.com?
Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI, I was able to order Audi tool ID T10198 from the service dept of a local dealer for $29, will be here on or before Friday. So that will get me a Snap-On OEM 1/2" drive 16mm XZN bit instead of worrying about the Amazon crap bit snapping off into my face this weekend. :-)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
FCP is good to go. I've ordered OEM wiper blades from them for my S6 and when on sale, they had the best price I could find. Shipped quickly as well.
Yes, I ended up ordering from them, and was happy with the product, price and quick service I received. I recommend them as well.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey question. I am replacing my rear brakes on my 2015 Q5 3.0T, purchased online from brake performance: Premium Cross Drilled & Slotted w. Metallic Premium Pads ($211.82 for rotors/pads and hardware kit). Local mechanic quoted $200 for labor which seems reasonable.

Are the wear sensors only on one of the front brakes? I did not get a notification that the rear need replacement but below 3mm which Audi suggets replace. Can you keep the old sensors or would that be dumb?
Old 08-12-2021, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes, there are sensors back there. You can reuse them if they haven't been tripped (which means they have been worn down). $200 isn't bad if you don't want to do them yourself. A jack, impact wrench and set of triple squares makes short work of the job, like less time than driving to the shop, getting picked up and driving back and paying. If you are handy I would spend the $200 on the tools to do it of you didn't have them as it is simple job and a quick YouTube video will show you the steps if you never have done a brake job before. Basically take the wheel off, spread the pads with screwdriver, pull pads, pop lose the sensor, remove the two caliper bolts, remove rotor, bolt on new rotor, bolt on caliper and insert pads, put wheel back on and pump the brake pedal before you take it out of park. The only thing that sucks is when you have caliper bolt that doesn't want to come out, but that's what the impact is for or a breaker bar.
The following 2 users liked this post by frqflyer:
DUTCH VanAtlanta (08-12-2021), pluspjo (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Also, there is no need for drilled and slotted rotors on a Q7, especially on the rear. My thought is they are just going to have faster wear with no benefit, and at worst actually have a reduction in braking due to reduced surface area. Usually sports cars that run them OEM have brakes sized to account for reduced contact area. Between the oversized brakes and the drilled they can track them without generating as high of temps, which you need to prevent fade while still having great braking force. Unless you race your Q7 skip them unless you are doing it for visual appearance as opposed to performance.

Last edited by frqflyer; 08-12-2021 at 12:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by frqflyer:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (08-15-2021), DUTCH VanAtlanta (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, great info. I live in a condo but once I have my own garage I definitely plan on trying. There are a few mechanics just across street from my complex, so not too much trouble. Are there any drawbacks to just utilizing the old sensors? Also any difference between the front and rear or are they all the same? Looks like there is one sensor per wheel. Found online for like 20-30 bucks, but if I can save $60 why not? Audi dealership in CA quoted $950 for just rear brake job which seems insane.
Old 08-12-2021, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by pluspjo
Thanks, great info. I live in a condo but once I have my own garage I definitely plan on trying. There are a few mechanics just across street from my complex, so not too much trouble. Are there any drawbacks to just utilizing the old sensors? Also any difference between the front and rear or are they all the same? Looks like there is one sensor per wheel. Found online for like 20-30 bucks, but if I can save $60 why not? Audi dealership in CA quoted $950 for just rear brake job which seems insane.
Nah, it can easily be reused. No need to change if the rear ones have been tripped yet as stated below.
The following users liked this post:
pluspjo (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full kit installed front and rear on our 2008 last year:
Amazon Amazon

Have previously used only OE rotors w/ Hawk Ceramic.....no dust but mushy. These particular Power Stop very little dust and very close to OE power.

Plated rotor hats look better than OE crusty. Holes and slots the way PS engineered them and they work. I am not any believer in whatever hype, but these work.

Just ordered another kit for the new Sport because OE wants to throw me through the windshield and dirty the red calipers. A big problem with these damn Q7's.

Many things yes but I do not do brakes at the Dealer. My Indy's invoice for the whole kit last year:

Quick Reply: Anticipated cost to replace rotors and pads?