Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q6 To Rival BMW X6

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Audi Q6 To Rival BMW X6

Audi has kicked off development of a new performance-orientated crossover model to directly counter the BMW X6.

Set to be called the Q6 when it reaches North American showrooms, the five-seat crossover is rumored to be based around the same all-wheel-drive underpinnings as the second-generation Volkswagen Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne, both of which use a short-wheelbase version of the Volkswagen Group's so-called Colorado platform that in long-wheelbase guise is also used in the Audi Q7.

Nothing has been made official, but in an interview with the German media at the Geneva motor show, Audi boss Rupert Stadler alluded to the crossover, saying, “We can imagine a model between the Q5 and the Q7 . . . a coupelike, four-wheel-driven model.”

Audi's decision to add the Q6 to its lineup comes after lobbying calls from its North American and Chinese subsidiaries for a standard-size SUV to counter the BMW X6, global sales of which more than doubled original predictions in 2010.

As with its key rival, the Q6 is likely to arrive on the U.S. market with a range of gasoline and diesel engines, plus a hybrid option similar to what's used on the Touareg and Cayenne hybrids.

The decision to provide the new model with what Stadler describes as “coupelike” styling and standard “four-wheel drive” also paves the way for an outwardly sporting variant from Audi quattro, the same division responsible for the company's diverse range of RS models. While still early, Audi is thought to be considering an RS Q6 model powered by the new turbocharged, 4.0-liter V8 engine earmarked to appear in the RS6 at September's Frankfurt motor show.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110319913
Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Just in time for BMW to discontinue the x6
Old 03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First time I saw the X6 I thought INCREDIBLE. Saw the X6 a few days ago and thought AWFUL.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i thought they had an agreement with Infiniti that they would not use the Q designations on any more models other than the Q5 and Q7.... hmmm.......
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

X6 looks goofy imho. Let's hope that Audi takes a pass on something to compete with the MB Hearse, uh, R-class........
Old 03-19-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what pisses me off about audi. They will make a q6 which isnt necessary ; meanwhile they won't bring the s4 or rs6 avant to the US because they say it won't sell. I would think it's cheaper to certify the avants then it would be to build a whole new car that probably won't sell
Old 03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

agree- i would buy an RS6 avant in a hearbeat........
Old 03-19-2011, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PARealtor
This is what pisses me off about audi. They will make a q6 which isnt necessary ; meanwhile they won't bring the s4 or rs6 avant to the US because they say it won't sell. I would think it's cheaper to certify the avants then it would be to build a whole new car that probably won't sell
Unfortunately it's SUVs that really sell well in the US, much more so than any estate ever would, so while I share your opinion I am also a realist.

Now that is out of the way let's discuss this unlikely addition to Audi's line up. A Q6 would need to do things that the X6 never did, which is feel different to the car it's based on. Also important is five seats and not the stupid idea that this is a coupe and only needs the four.

As for an RS version, didn't Audi always say they would never build an RS version of an SUV? Sounds like back pedaling to me if true though I welcome the very idea of such a machine.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Autoweek is off on the platform.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

i thought the X6 was only a limited run while they used up the remaining Pontiac Aztec shells ...

Quick Reply: Audi Q6 To Rival BMW X6