Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Big Luxury SUV comparison test in Car and Driver October issue....Q7 finishes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Luxury SUV comparison test in Car and Driver October issue....Q7 finishes...

............2nd.

Sorry, it's not online yet or I'd have posted a link to the article.

Competitors were (in finishing order):

MB GL450
Q7
Infiniti QX56
Cadillac Escalade (403hp!)
Lincoln Navigator

The Q7 had by far the best numbers for handling, was mid-pack in acceleration (7.5 sec. 0-60 for the 4.2), the best fit and finish, BY FAR the best interior. They said it is "A showcase of gorgeous visuals"

Minuses were tire noise, inadequate shading on the sunroof, and that it sits too low to give a commanding view of the road.

In the final tally, the MB ended up with 225 points, the Q7 with 203, and the 3rd place QX56 186.

Best line: "The Q7 is a concept car masquerading (unconvincingly) as an SUV"

BTW - I personally wouldn't even consider the MB because it's ugly, IMO, while the Q7 is the only SUV I've seriously contemplated owning.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with you on the looks of the MB GL...

What did they like about it that put it in first place?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Big Luxury SUV comparison test in Car and Driver October issue....Q7 finishes...

My favorite line in the article relates to the Escalade - "In terms of sophistication, think of a high-school grad who is doing well in sales and likes to hang out in sports bars."

Cracked me up. :-)

The Q7's base price was the lowest and was in the middle as far as the "price as tested" category goes. It looks like the test Q7 was a V8 Premium with about everything except the advanced cruise.

It's also interesting to look at Car & Driver's mileage results. The results during the 900 mile test shows:

Mercedes - 18
Q7 and Lincoln - 16
Infiniti and Caddy - 15

Wish I knew how many of the 900 miles were spent off roading.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Basically that it's a big, powerful SUV that does that gig well. The Q7 isnt...

...nearly as big or fast, nor can it tow as much, but to my mind it will do most of what most people would need it to do on a daily basis.

Quotes:

"Highs: Designer-quality interior details, musical sound of the strong V-8, excellent driving position, princely ride.

Lows: Brake feels like stepping on a rotten peach, radio tuning is too complicated, windshield blocks radar from our detectors.

The Verdict: Enough M-B music and muscle to give a good name even to an SUV."

It did 0-60 in 6.6 and the 1.4 mile in 15.1 - pretty quick indeed for a 5441 lb. SUV. Seven-speed gearbox undoubtedly helps here.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Default MPG is what impresses me.

I don't see that the accleration is as important as the braking ability.

What I am totally impressed about is the extra miles per gallon it gets.

I agree that the seven speed transmission is a big deal. Probably one of the reasons for the mileage.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Big Luxury SUV comparison test

MB GL is not only ugly it drives like a truck, it dives into turns, when looking in the rearview mirror it's like you are in a tunnel, has an inferior interior, uncomfortable seats. I will say that it does sit you up higher, not something I wanted anymore which is why I gave up my Yukon XL Denali. I'll take handling, fit/finish, gorgeous interior and be happy with masquerading in second...second to none that is!

By the way, do you all have excessive tire noise? My all season 20's purr.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

GL450 has less power and is heavier than Q7, but is faster and gets better mileage... how?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:12 PM

Default Re: GL450 has less power and is heavier than Q7, but is faster and gets better mileage... how?

Seven speed transmission probably has something to do with it.

Also, and this may just be an Audi myth, but has anyone else heard that the "shifting pattern/dynamics" adjusts to a driver's behavior over time. In other words, when first delivered it is untuned. Like I said this may be myth.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The GL is growing on me....a little. I hate the profile, as it looks like a Toyota Highlander.

But I'm starting to like the front end a little more.

Honestly, it took seeing the Q7 in person for me to like it. I still think it can look a little strange in photos, depending on the angle.

A friend had two E-Class Mercedes, both 8-cylinders. His new one has the 7 speed, his old one had a 5 speed. It is night and day. Even though it's shifting more, it actually feels a little more smooth. And the acceleration is incredible. I don't think there was much, if any, change in horsepower. I don't know if his MPG is better (probably not the way he drives it).

What brand tires are on your Q7 (Contis, Bridgestones, Goodyear)?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd love to hear if that adaptive/smart/learning transmission myth is true too. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: Big Luxury SUV comparison test in Car and Driver October issue....Q7 finishes...