Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DIY - Replacing Climate Control Buttons on 2007 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY - Replacing Climate Control Buttons on 2007 Q7

This DIY is to replace the worn buttons on your Q7 climate control unit. Please perform at your own risk. This is just what I did to fix my issue and it worked for me. Perform at your own risk!

I purchased a used unit (part# 4L0820043L) on ebay. The buttons looked nice and after I replaced my unit with the used ebay unit, I quickly realized that Audi has a component protection on these units that does not allow you to use parts off other cars without having the dealer re-code. Not wanting to spend $100 plus at the dealer re-coding, I decided that the easiest fix was to replace the face plate. Later I figured out that you can replace individuals buttons if you'd like, but the face plate replacement is the quickest option. See below for my first DIY write up. I did the work first and later went back to take pictures to do a write up as I did not see anyone online posting just the face plate change out.

Tools Needed:
Radio removal key/tool set for Audi ($10 at Amazon)
Torx T6 screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver

Ugly, worn button that needs to go!

Used unit from ebay. Notice driver's side fan button looks new. There are only 6 screws holding on the face plate. Screws are T6 and easy to remove. We will get back to this part later.

Also notice that you can just remove individual buttons if you'd like, but that takes a little more work than just replacing the face plate. That will be highlighted at the end as well.

With the parking brake on, I put the car in drive with the engine off to allow extra space to remove the cd changer and climate control unit. Take your radio removal keys and insert into these slots. Keys should go in this orientation. Make sure to put a towel down to help prevent scratching your car when you start removing the cd changer and climate control unit.

Push in until you hear a click and then gently start pulling out. You can move the unit left and right while you pull to help make it easier to remove.

Once cd changer unit is out, push this tab hard enough to release the key, and then pull on the key. Repeat on the other side. Pull cd changer out and set down. I did not disconnect the cd changer as I did not know if it would cause an issue or put a lock out on it.

Notice the cd changer is pulled forward to allow access to the tabs holding the climate control unit in place. Take a flathead screwdriver and push down tab locking unit into place and gently pull this side forward. See next picture for what the tab looks like.

Here is what the tab looks like. This part was confusing for me and I ended up breaking the tab as I pushed forward, instead of pushing down. See next picture for where the tab locks in.

The silver tab locks in here.

Repeat on this side. Having an extra hand is helpful as you might have to push down on the tabs at the same time, to release the unit, and then pull towards you.

Now with the climate control unit out, disconnect plug connections.

Squeeze tabs toward wires and pull up.

Use flathead screwdriver to push small tab towards the connector and then pull up. Repeat on remaining connectiors.

Now with the climate control unit disconnected, remove T6 screw.

Flip over and remove the other 3 T6 screws. Slowly separate the faceplate from the unit. Make sure you keep the electrical board with the unit. Avoid static electricity here to avoid potentially damaging the circuit board.

Repeat removing the faceplate off your donor unit and swap onto the unit that came off your car. If you don't, you will need to recode your vehicle to accept the control unit that did not come off your car. Once you swap faceplates, you are good to reinstall unit and cd changer. Before clicking in the climate control unit into your car, make sure you install the connections properly and test that everything works. Once you verify you are good, click it in.

Now, if your donor climate control unit's face plate is not as good as the one in your car, you can just replace the worn buttons.

You will have to look at the back of the face plate and disconnect the tabs holding the buttons in, while gently pulling up. Be careful not to lose the small springs that will come out.

Here is the back plate of the button removed. To release the buttons, you have to locate the tabs holding them in and slowly push out. Once you replace the buttons, reassemble

These buttons come off easy by lifting at the edges.

Here is the finished picture. Now I need to replace my other worn buttons...