Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

First off roading in the 'Q

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First off roading in the 'Q

So we were up in the high sierra around Lake Tahoe (Gold Lake and the Rubicon Trail) - thought I would try out the Q.

BONE STOCK. (minus 8 lbs of air in each tire).

It was fantastic, it handled tire slip much faster than the last gen Q7 and the hill decent was cool, even on loose gravel.

Skid plate hit once, no damage, and on the rubicon I used a spotter - my wife. We even got our Xmas tree while we were up there.

Only complaint - ground clearance (duh) and the run-flats are horrible, super rough ride.

Brought the whole family a great time was had by all!

Mills Point Fire Lookout
The following users liked this post:
Lmike6453 (12-27-2019)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a great time. I would love to make it out there
Old 12-12-2018, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was vacationing at the Outer Banks in North Carolina back in August. There's a point where you can only access the beach using a 4-wheel drive vehicle. My son-in-law had a 4-wheeler SUV so we went out on the beach for a cruise with the kids. Just as we got onto the sand along comes a Q7 driving the other way. It never would have occurred to me to drive my Q7 out there, but the guy was just cruising along as well as any of the bigger 4-wheelers. It just put a big smile on my face when I saw that.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by captain_video
I was vacationing at the Outer Banks in North Carolina back in August. There's a point where you can only access the beach using a 4-wheel drive vehicle. My son-in-law had a 4-wheeler SUV so we went out on the beach for a cruise with the kids. Just as we got onto the sand along comes a Q7 driving the other way. It never would have occurred to me to drive my Q7 out there, but the guy was just cruising along as well as any of the bigger 4-wheelers. It just put a big smile on my face when I saw that.
Funny Stuff! We were just out there the end of July.
Thought about taking ours out there but my wife said NO! So we took the hummer horse tour, which was absolutely amazing!
There were trucks of all sizes buried everywhere, so, kind of glad I didn't!
We took the first ferry from the south, drove across and island to the next ferry. Got into the last island after dark with no vacancy hotels anywhere. Slept in the Q, after being thrown off the hotel beach by Police. Slept in the front seats, as the car was fully loaded.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by captain_video
i love Hatteras, i know that spot - great story. Only place i love more than the Sierras.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
i love Hatteras, i know that spot - great story. Only place i love more than the Sierras.
We've been staying in Corolla every summer for a week over the past several years. The beach just north of us is only accessible via 4-wheel drive vehicles. There are some huge homes out in the middle of nowhere along the beach. My son's best friend had a destination wedding there a few years back and the house slept something like 30 people. There are wild horses that run up and down the beach.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outstanding!! I've got a white 2017 Q7 and have places in VA where I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing those great pics!!

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-16-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by charliehereforyou
Outstanding!! I've got a white 2017 Q7 and have places in VA where I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing those great pics!!

Regards,

Charlie
Do it!

My favorite part is when the real offroad rigs drive-by and stare at me like I'm lost. I can feel the judgement. Not a lot of Audis on these trails. Reverse snobbery, it's fun.

JUST WATCH YOUR GROUND CLEARANCE - sometimes it seems you have plenty and then you get cocky - scraaaaatttch. Have a spotter and you can get through almost anything.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is VA? A jeep group I'm in has guided some touaregs and cayennes up flagpole IIRC, there was no trail damage, but it took a while
Old 12-17-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VA= Virginia

Quick Reply: First off roading in the 'Q