Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Freaking rear wiper arm keeps getting broken off in the car wash

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Morgali
Limo/executive SUV driver, thanks. I make a bit more than an Uber driver.

This is the only one of my vehicles that has issues. I'd think someone as smart as you would know that!
2 Cents
2 things:
1. Knocking on wood, I have had zero issues with car wash. If I did, I would use a different wash perhaps. I wash mine quite a few times a month (on a membership) because it rains constantly here too and I do not have the time to spend 2 hours cleaning it.
2. I would simply delete the rear wiper anyway! Just cap it off nicely and disable in VCDS. It is not necessary, does me absolutely no good. If it was missing, it wouldn't be by me.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Tape it down beforehand and ask if they can hit the "wrap stall" switch when the wrap gets to the rear of the car. My terminology may be a little off, as it's been 30 years since I worked in a car wash, but they should understand what you're talking about.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Perhaps a Touchless carwash? Uses pressure washers, essentially to wash the car with no actual spinning 'swirl' makers. This seems like the first post I've seen with the rear wiper breaking off, let alone 3 times! Is it all the same place? Something doesn't seem right for it to keep happening. Where is it shearing off? Do you have a picture?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 inch wide blue painter tape.
Tape it to the glass, no need to tape the whole thing, just the rubber part is all it needs. works like a charm and you can store in the door pocket.
My local car wash actually does this for all customers with a rear wiper before going into the tunnel.

Last edited by yuyueyuyue; 04-16-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use my local car wash primarily because of my Q7 Thule crossbars I use for the Thule Hyper XL Roof Box. There are enough warnings from Thule NOT use use an automatic car wash.

Hand washing is more work (especially in the Winters here) but more satisfying like I have done for my S6. Seriously, it does not take that much time to wash/hand dry and you avoid all the micro fine scratches on the paintwork from the auto car wash. What's funny is while I was drying the rear windshield of my wife's Q7 just a couple of days ago, my towel caught the tip of the rear wiper blade and ripped the wiper blade (rubber blade piece) off off the wiper arm. It broke the connector to the wiper arm. Just spent $20 to get replaced. There are great suggestions from folks here if you want to continue using the auto car wash. 3 times is NOT a charm here.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For winter, I have a season’s pass for the car wash in my area that’s touchless. I have been using this same car wash for the past 2 years and everything has been good. Yes, it’s cold, snowy and Icey here at times. If yours has some type of brush that touches your car, I’d see if there are any touchless car washes in your area that you could use instead.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Perhaps a Touchless carwash? Uses pressure washers, essentially to wash the car with no actual spinning 'swirl' makers. This seems like the first post I've seen with the rear wiper breaking off, let alone 3 times! Is it all the same place? Something doesn't seem right for it to keep happening. Where is it shearing off? Do you have a picture?
Alas I haven't found a good touchless wash here. I've tried several different car washes locally and the one I had most success with closed.

It shears off right at the base, where the arm meets the mount, at the joint where you can life the arm to service the wiper blade.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
2 Cents
2 things:
1. Knocking on wood, I have had zero issues with car wash. If I did, I would use a different wash perhaps. I wash mine quite a few times a month (on a membership) because it rains constantly here too and I do not have the time to spend 2 hours cleaning it.
2. I would simply delete the rear wiper anyway! Just cap it off nicely and disable in VCDS. It is not necessary, does me absolutely no good. If it was missing, it wouldn't be by me.
Point 1) I have tried 3 different car washes now. There was one I liked that did tape down the wiper, but they closed.

Point 2) I enjoy having the clean and clear view out the rear, and my rear-facing video surveillance also enjoys it when the mud and grime doesn't obstruct the view. But that said, I appreciate your points.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Well we share platforms with the Touareg and Cayenne. Perhaps you could take a look at their rear wipers. I had an 04 Touareg, and I swear it had a metal arm; 04-10 shared the same rear glass. I'm not sure about the Cayenne, but you could check one out in a parking lot.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
I don't use my local car wash primarily because of my Q7 Thule crossbars I use for the Thule Hyper XL Roof Box. There are enough warnings from Thule NOT use use an automatic car wash.

Hand washing is more work (especially in the Winters here) but more satisfying like I have done for my S6. Seriously, it does not take that much time to wash/hand dry and you avoid all the micro fine scratches on the paintwork from the auto car wash. What's funny is while I was drying the rear windshield of my wife's Q7 just a couple of days ago, my towel caught the tip of the rear wiper blade and ripped the wiper blade (rubber blade piece) off off the wiper arm. It broke the connector to the wiper arm. Just spent $20 to get replaced. There are great suggestions from folks here if you want to continue using the auto car wash. 3 times is NOT a charm here.
I also use Thule Flush mounts, have zero issues with car wash!
I have been through a few brands of washes now, no issues with anything.

Quick Reply: Freaking rear wiper arm keeps getting broken off in the car wash