Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness

Folks I know this has been covered in prior posts, I figured I would give my experience and try and consolidate some of the questions into one “electronic brake controller wiring” location.
Here are the parts I bought from Audi for about $35.00. This install was on a 2010 Q7 TDI.

-(1) quantity 1J0972782, factory wire harness (housing)fits into the existing vehicle harness to hold the wire plugs.
-(2) quantity 000979228E, wire set, comes with spade connectors on each end, they snap into the above harness.

1. Remove the plastic housing beneath the steering column. 2 torx screws on the right and left side. Unplug OBD port, and foot well light (I used a small slotted screwdriver and gently pried it off by wiggling the screwdriver between the plug and housing applying gentle sideways pressure).

2. Locate the factory installed wire harness found above and behind the OBD port. If you have a factory installed tow package it will be there. Mine was taped up out of reach with some white/tan masking tape. (see picture of the wire harness covered with a foam bonnet)

3. Un-tape the foam bonnet, allowing access the back portion of the factory wire harness and note the color/location of each of the four wires.

4. Construct your wire factory wire harness by inserting the yellow wire sets into the new harness and clicking them in place. Once locked in cut the wire loops to create 4 individual wire leads.

5. Label the wire harness provided with your Tekonsha and the newly constructed harness as follows:
The existing Audi factory installed harness has the following wires:
Brown
Red/White
Black/Red
Blue

Tekonsha Primus IQ electronic brake controller has the following wires:
Black
White
Red
Blue

6. Connect the two wire harnesses with the leads by using butt connectors in the following order.
Red/White to Black
Brown to White
Black/Red to Red
Blue to Blue

7. Check to make sure the unit powers up

8. Mount the brake controller to the lower most dashboard panel directly above the accelerator pedal. (I mounted mine about ¼” from the bottom edge of this dashboard panel and as far right as possible)

9. The six screws that come with the controller don’t look like they will do the job but they worked nicely. It may take some bending on your part to get the unit mounted where you want it, but that’s the home stretch.

10. Re-install the lower plastic housing with the torx screws, I nipped the the bottom right corner off diagonally with Wiss snips to allow for the contoller wires to pop through without binding or pinching.

Original poster assumes no responsiblity for any damage done as a result of this post.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
GeriatricGinger (02-08-2023)
Old 04-19-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default one more photo

Only allowed 5 attachments in the prior post
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for this. Doing mine soon.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this may be a dumb question but what does this do or what is the benefit of doing this?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
this may be a dumb question but what does this do or what is the benefit of doing this?
It allows control of a trailer with electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. In a panic stop, which I had to do just yesterday, it saves your a$$!
Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you install the relay as is recommended by Tekonsha?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 04-21-2013, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

gotcha... thanks for explaining.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default dutch, no relay>>

the primus IQ controller didnt need one.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picture of installed controller

Can you please post a picture of the final installation? I.e. how did you install the controller and did you insulate the yellow wires and how did you run them? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtesh73
Folks I know this has been covered in prior posts, I figured I would give my experience and try and consolidate some of the questions into one “electronic brake controller wiring” location.
Here are the parts I bought from Audi for about $35.00. This install was on a 2010 Q7 TDI.

-(1) quantity 1J0972782, factory wire harness (housing)fits into the existing vehicle harness to hold the wire plugs.
-(2) quantity 000979228E, wire set, comes with spade connectors on each end, they snap into the above harness.

1. Remove the plastic housing beneath the steering column. 2 torx screws on the right and left side. Unplug OBD port, and foot well light (I used a small slotted screwdriver and gently pried it off by wiggling the screwdriver between the plug and housing applying gentle sideways pressure).

2. Locate the factory installed wire harness found above and behind the OBD port. If you have a factory installed tow package it will be there. Mine was taped up out of reach with some white/tan masking tape. (see picture of the wire harness covered with a foam bonnet)

3. Un-tape the foam bonnet, allowing access the back portion of the factory wire harness and note the color/location of each of the four wires.

4. Construct your wire factory wire harness by inserting the yellow wire sets into the new harness and clicking them in place. Once locked in cut the wire loops to create 4 individual wire leads.

5. Label the wire harness provided with your Tekonsha and the newly constructed harness as follows:
The existing Audi factory installed harness has the following wires:
Brown
Red/White
Black/Red
Blue

Tekonsha Primus IQ electronic brake controller has the following wires:
Black
White
Red
Blue

6. Connect the two wire harnesses with the leads by using butt connectors in the following order.
Red/White to Black
Brown to White
Black/Red to Red
Blue to Blue

7. Check to make sure the unit powers up

8. Mount the brake controller to the lower most dashboard panel directly above the accelerator pedal. (I mounted mine about ¼” from the bottom edge of this dashboard panel and as far right as possible)

9. The six screws that come with the controller don’t look like they will do the job but they worked nicely. It may take some bending on your part to get the unit mounted where you want it, but that’s the home stretch.

10. Re-install the lower plastic housing with the torx screws, I nipped the the bottom right corner off diagonally with Wiss snips to allow for the contoller wires to pop through without binding or pinching.

Original poster assumes no responsiblity for any damage done as a result of this post.

Thanks for looking,
Mike
mtesh73

Thanks for the post and VERY detailed installation instructions, helped me get my 2009 Q7 TDI wired up with a Tekonsha P3. One issue i'm having is that the unit will not power off after the car has been shut off, even after several hrs the device still on???

Did you have this issue?

Thanks

Quick Reply: hardwiring a tekonsha electronic brake controller with factory harness