Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

headlight problem --- Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default headlight problem --- Advice needed

Ive been having this problem with my headlights on my 2011 Q7 since the day it was new.

Whenever I am driving at night and mostly on a highway it appears as if the lights are switching back and forth from DRL mode to normal on mode. I cant seem to pinpoint exactly when it will do it but its noticable most times on a highway when driving in the left lane or behind another car. This is because I can see the reflection in the car in front or the concrete barrier next to me. Ive had it to the dealer three times and they have replaced a sensor and now both bulbs. But still seems to be happening.

Are there any known issues? Anyone else having this same problem.

And I know its not the fog lamps, or the turn signals or the turning light features. However when the flickering does occur it looks like those lights involved with the turning light feature do light up.

The dealer doesnt seem to think its a big deal but obviously something is wrong. Been happening since april 2011 so its not going away.

any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you able to tell or test if it's the 'dipping' function of the adaptive headlights? (behaving differently when cars/ligths/reflections present vs on the open road?)

See post#5 in the thread below

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...ive-headlights
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So the dealer has had my Q7 for about a week now and still cant seem to figure out how to fix it or what is causing the problem. they replaced the bulbs, checked error codes, replaced the light sensor (for auto function) in addition to other items that have been replaced in previous visits and its still doing it.

It mainly does it on the highway at any speed when traveling in a straight line. It almost looks like the LED daytime runing lights are going on and off or varying in intensity. Problem is you cant get it to do it while stopped so unless you have someone ride in front of you there is no way to tell what is exactly flickering

Dealer tried to tell me on Friday its just the way it is. Unacceptable. Now they have a call into Audi corporate to see what they suggest.

Luckily I have a Q7 TDI as a loaner so Im not that upset but its still frustrating.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

after 2 weeks of sitting at the dealership I got my car back today. After speaking with Audi corporate they now tell me that its my adaptive headlights and its normal for what they do.

So that leads me to my next question. Anyone have adaptive headlights and experience this similar issue? I get a flickering of the lights while traveleing on the highway at night. It does it at radom times and for varying lengths of time.

On the ride home tonight while it was dark I did notice it appears to be doing it less but is still doing it.

Audi of America states is normal and nothing is wrong. Im not sure I agree with this.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '13 has adaptive headlights and have not noticed what you describe. If it truly is the "adaptive" feature of the headlights and you want to test, you can turn the light switch all the way to headlight on, rather than "auto". By turning the switch to on the adaptive feature is turned off. That will tell you that it is indeed the adpative feature.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2011 Q7 TDI with adaptive headlights and noticed the flickering everytime I drive at night, on the highway and around town. Just a quick flicker that lasts about a split second and happens randomly. Wasn't sure if it was normal or not but they are working I suppose. I thought they we just readjusting themselves. I'm hoping its not a problem because my Q has
Old 01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

been at the dealer for so many little problems I'd hate to add the to the list and go back again. I think the previous owner was a little abusive with the buttons.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PARealtor

So that leads me to my next question. Anyone have adaptive headlights and experience this similar issue? I get a flickering of the lights while traveleing on the highway at night. It does it at random times and for varying lengths of time.
Yes-- I saw your post the other day but failed to respond. Ours does the same thing. Lights on dim driving along and something "changes" . Still plenty of light and all seems to be normal but there was this flicker or "change". I have never seen any lights malfunctioning from the outside and I wonder what it looks like at speed when it happens. Ours is random and infrequent too. Don't have a clue. Maybe it is self leveling a notch but is sure seems like a light switching or some such. If it never gets worse I'll probably just watch forum to see if anyone ever figures it our further.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thats exactly what I am experiencing. Whats odd is the dealer is now telling me its normal. This is after they have replaced sensors, bulbs, switches, etc. Im not sure what to believe.

If its normal and part of the adaptive headlights then why change out all those items?

I have noticed in the past 5 days that the flickering is far less. So I guess maybe the sensor was too sensitive.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Hoping to revive this thread... I have the exact same issue, and for me it seems to be more prevalent in cold temperatures (less than 40F). This has been happening on my Q7 for a couple of years now... It seems to happen to me over the winter months then goes away and I am growing tired of it, so I came to our forum looking for a possible solution.

Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply: headlight problem --- Advice needed