Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

I put an amber LED behind my red taillight lense!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I put an amber LED behind my red taillight lense!

Tonight I was at Walmart (ugh) but I wandered to the automotive section, and they had 1156 amber LED bulbs, so I figured I'd try them in my rear turn signals to give it a euro look, and, IT WORKED! I already had plug and play resistors for red bulbs, so I just took the red LEDs out, and replaced them with the amber bulbs!

They are cheap Walmart bulbs so they're not the brightest, but now that I know I can get the amber color from my US Spec tail lights, I will most likely purchase high quality bright LEDs. What does everyone think??
Old 02-19-2016, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 AM
jes
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good... but you'll never get full brightness on LEDs when the lense color is different from the LED. LEDs are a monochrome light source...

I went the other way on 1 of my cars, installed red LED running lights on rear amber turn lights. Brightness didn't matter for me.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, I have noticed that, the Pilot Tower LED is not bright at all as it is, I'm going to invest in the Sylvania Super Bright LED 7506A (Amber).. I had the 1156R (Red) bulbs installed and I would go as far to say that they are brighter than stock Audi LED tail lights on the Newer models, they may actually be too bright. If I had the Amber version of the bulbs I think the brightness would still be substantially bright. I may install them (red) in my tail lights too. The bulbs look really weird. Not what you would expect an LED bulb to look like.

Was the car you installed the LEDs on an Audi? I had to use plug and play resistors because the LEDs caused a bulb out error. Sylvania says that the super bright bulbs are canbus error free and they very well may be because I used an 1156 bulb when I should have used a 7506... I will have to order the 7506A eventually and find out.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

hmmm
Old 02-22-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I removed the cheap amber bulbs and reinstalled my ZEVO bulbs. Going to purchase the amber color of these ZEVO bulbs, but for now, here is a video of them. Just ignore the cheesy Closing time by Semisonic remix I put in the video. Lol

Last edited by D3Audi; 02-22-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So before this did your entire rear tail lamp flash when you turned the signal on? Did you have to re-code? I really don't understand why Audi does this in the US with the entire tail lamp flashing instead of a dedicated turn signal in Amber. It's not required... 2016/17 Chevy's are out there with amber signals... can someone explain? /rant
(Sorry did not mean to hi jack)
Old 02-24-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I totally agree all rear signals should be Amber, my Q7 is a 2008 so therefore it's a pre-facelift model so it has a separate place for a halogen turn signal. 2010+ models got all LED tail lights and had the brake lights and turn signals using the same cluster of LEDs. In other markets, the Q7 uses the very top LED strip as a turn signal and it is Amber, in the USA that strip is red and coded with the brake lights. I believe you can code your current tail lights to use just the strip for the turn signals, then all you would have to buy would be the euro tail lights. Therefore you would have an Amber LED turn signal. There has been a ton of research on this for many years and even the NHTSA agreed Amber Turn signals are safer and more visible. In my opinion all tail lights should have separate running lights, brake lights, and turn signals. A lot of USA spec vehicles that are domestic brands use a duel filament bulb as the brake light, running light, and turn signal... All in one reflector housing and one bulb. I personally think that is very dangerous and needs to be looked at more in depth.. But hey, apparently it's more dangerous to import a 2013 Audi RS6 Avant to the states...Lolol
Old 02-24-2016, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here is a picture of the amber LEDs using the top strip. If this was a USA model, that would be red and turn on with the brake lights

Old 02-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'd love to code it so at least only the top LED's flash, would be a step in the right direction. But, I don't know anything about coding or VAG COM etc... Would the dealer do it? (if they did probably way over priced)

Quick Reply: I put an amber LED behind my red taillight lense!