Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Key stuck in ignition, Q7 does not recognize it's in park

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck in ignition, Q7 does not recognize it's in park

Using the keyless fob, I pushed the stop engine button in my garage when I finished my drive. The display screen suggested I place the vehicle in PARK to keep it from rolling. It was already in park though. I put the key in the ignition to see if it would recognize it and everything works fine except the key wont release when it's in the off position, the steering wheel won't lock either. For whatever reason, the vehicle thinks it's not in park when it is. Please help.

THANKS
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ktmpsales
Using the keyless fob, I pushed the stop engine button in my garage when I finished my drive. The display screen suggested I place the vehicle in PARK to keep it from rolling. It was already in park though. I put the key in the ignition to see if it would recognize it and everything works fine except the key wont release when it's in the off position, the steering wheel won't lock either. For whatever reason, the vehicle thinks it's not in park when it is. Please help.

THANKS
Also, maybe someone can point me in the direction of where a sensor would be (possibly transmission or shifter mounted) that tells the vehicle what gear the vehicle is in. Hooked up to a scanner today and no trouble codes available. Please help
Old 03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This may be of no help to you, but the same thing happened to me. After leaving it with the dealer to sort, they found a coin had slipped its way under the console, and was just stopping the lever registering being in Park. Amazingly it was free of charge. As I said probably no help to you, but look at the easiest first

Cheerd
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a heads up. After finally finding a local shop that could scan the computer, there was a code pulling up for a faulty Transmission selector board. It's the electronic board under the console shifter. Almost a seven hundred dollar dealer part but I was able to get a complete unit from a low mileage used car off of ebay for about 200.00. As soon as the part arrives, I'll install it and keep everyone posted.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just replaced the entire shifter unit. No luck. Key still stuck. Any advice????
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

try the brake light switch bro
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you clear any error/fault codes
Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

It happened to me one time, something stuck in the ignition. I pulled the key out, the stereo was still on. I used the new, seldom used 2nd key, put it in the ignition, turn the engine on and off. Pulled it in and out the ignition quickly, I heard something clicked inside the ignition, and it went away. It happened on a long trip, hot day. It actually happened twice with the same key on the same trip. The newer key never fails. Never happened again since, it was 2-3 years ago.

Good luck,

Louis
Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How do I go about clearing the codes? Also, any idea where exactly the transmission park selector module or switch would be?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Guys , Brand new Q7 TDI. Have same error car not in park. After letting car sit for a few minutes the error goes away. sadly cant duplicate at dealer. Have pics to show but I guess they assume customers are idiots and don't know how to shift to park. Will see what happens .

Rob

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition, Q7 does not recognize it's in park