Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Latest thinking on 20" all season tires for Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 06:09 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Latest thinking on 20" all season tires for Q7?

It's time for yet another set of new tires for my 2015 Prestige 3.0T. After the original factory Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, this most recent set was the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. Both were 275/45 R20 on the factory rims. Tread life has been 20-25k miles for both sets. The Contis were clearly better than the Pirellis for my driving (general commute and road trip driving in the 4-seasons central plains, but with what is probably a more spirited driving style than one should really have in a 3-row SUV...). On the minus side, 3 of my 4 Conti tires turned out to be impossible to balance and had to be replaced under warranty, which was an added level of headache. Is the Conti still the consensus "best" all-season option with a performance flavor, regardless of price? Or is there a newer favorite? I've heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+, but the only version I see available in this size is the Porsche N-spec version of the "non-plus".

I do not want to swap dedicated summer for winter tires, so this needs to be an all-season time. I would be willing to explore other sizes, but they need to fit on the factory 20x9 rims without a huge speedometer error.

Seeking the collective wisdom of the forum!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You should look at Yokohama Parada Spec X

for a really good all season in 20's. They are more than competent in snow and a great all around tire.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Nitto 421Q
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Some interesting options there. I've heard good things about the Yokohama. Looking at the tread pattern I struggle to see how it performs well in light snow, but the test results say otherwise. Not as familiar with the Nitto, but I'll take a look.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nokian WRG3 SUV are great ALL-WEATHER tires.

https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weat...ian-wr-g3-suv/
Old 11-20-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I was told by the dealership I had only 4 options for my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus (20" wheels) loaded with options. (4MB5A1) I put Cont's (non-RF's) on which has helped considerably with tire/road noise.
Options based on my dealership. Was I mislead?

1.) GY Sport All Season (RF's) Came with the car. Feathering after 10K.
2.) Pirelli Scorpian Verde A/S -run flats
3.)Continental LX Sport XL's -Nice and non rf's . quiet but a little bouncy on the ride
4.) GY-Ultra Grip 8 Performance. Total junk based on reviews.

Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had the Spec-X (Poor rim protection and a narrower tire than same sized competitors) and the OEM Conti 4x4, and by far, the best tire I've had so far on my Q7 are the Pirelli Verde+ (which are WAY better than the Scorpion Zeros, and not the same tire in any way). I have a set of DWS on my e39 BMW and they are a great tire for winter conditions when they are new, but like you said, Contis have an issue getting balanced correctly. I see new tires all the time, and Continental tires are always much lighter, and not as well built verses the same sized tire from their competitors. Definitely makes me question how well built they are...and the sidewalls are typically softer, which doesn't work well with heavier vehicles like the Q7. I have the Michelin AS3+ on my E55, and have been pretty pleased with them, and I'm happy to see that they're finally available in our Q7 OEM size. I would consider putting those on as my next set, since the other AS tires are more geared towards comfort vs. performance. I doubt they'll last as long as the Verde+ however, so I guess it depends on what your priorities are. AS3+ for performance, Verde+ for longevity.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:03 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by charliehereforyou
Hi. I was told by the dealership I had only 4 options for my 2017 Q7 Premium Plus (20" wheels) loaded with options. (4MB5A1) I put Cont's (non-RF's) on which has helped considerably with tire/road noise.
Options based on my dealership. Was I mislead?

1.) GY Sport All Season (RF's) Came with the car. Feathering after 10K.
2.) Pirelli Scorpian Verde A/S -run flats
3.)Continental LX Sport XL's -Nice and non rf's . quiet but a little bouncy on the ride
4.) GY-Ultra Grip 8 Performance. Total junk based on reviews.

Good Luck!
Charliehereforyou, your Mk II Q7, has a different tire size than the Mk 1 (285 wide for you vs 275 for us). You're correct that there aren't many choices in your size. I see a couple of additional pure summer and pure winter choices beyond what you listed, but nothing else in the All Season. Fortunately the Mk 1 size has more options - I'm sure that will change in time when the manufacturers see the demand in your size.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:14 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
AS3+ for performance, Verde+ for longevity.
Good input - thanks. If the AS3+ was available in the 20" size, I'd be very tempted. But since all they make in the 20" is the older AS3 "not plus", I'm not as sure. Supposedly the difference between the + and the older one is a new compound that's more capable in winter, which sounds like a good thing.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, they are very wide tires. Never used such wide tires but pretty happy with them. Would much prefer 19" tires with Michelin's but that would cost me for wheels and tires. As to the wheels, I'm told by the dealer that I have limited choices and will run at around $750 each. (my wife was not real thrilled with that and they are not nearly as nice as my 20" wheels) I have some really nice 20" wheels however.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Latest thinking on 20" all season tires for Q7?