Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New engine at 140,000 miles?! Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine at 140,000 miles?! Need some advice

Hi! I could use some perspective and advice.... was driving my 2012 Q7 3.0 on the highway when my car lost power and just died. After being towed to the dealer, it started up, so they thought it was a faulty sensor. Turns out it needs a whole new engine for $30,000!! Diagnosis is that the car had a "seized cylinder 1 rod bearing", which they tell me is too hard to reach in the engine to repair. Can this be right?! That's a whole new car!!! Car is in great shape otherwise, with the exception that it chugs oil, which the dealer tells me is totally normal for an Audi. We add about a quart every couple of weeks. Do I abandon the car? Look for a shop who will try to repair it? Buy a used engine? Arghhh.... please help!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lalunia
Hi! I could use some perspective and advice.... was driving my 2012 Q7 3.0 on the highway when my car lost power and just died. After being towed to the dealer, it started up, so they thought it was a faulty sensor. Turns out it needs a whole new engine for $30,000!! Diagnosis is that the car had a "seized cylinder 1 rod bearing", which they tell me is too hard to reach in the engine to repair. Can this be right?! That's a whole new car!!! Car is in great shape otherwise, with the exception that it chugs oil, which the dealer tells me is totally normal for an Audi. We add about a quart every couple of weeks. Do I abandon the car? Look for a shop who will try to repair it? Buy a used engine? Arghhh.... please help!
Your car is worth less than $12k if it were in good running condition. Based upon that id look at a used rebuilt engine or just dump the car and buy something else. Fwiw, a qt of oil per week is not normal and your engine obviously had issues before the catastrophic failure.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I agree with Raj about the oil consumption. Personally, I would dump the car. I previously made the mistake of trying to save my old beloved 4.2, which had about the same mileage as your car, and it was a huge financial mistake. But I was in love
Old 05-04-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Your car is worth less than $12k if it were in good running condition. Based upon that id look at a used rebuilt engine or just dump the car and buy something else. Fwiw, a qt of oil per week is not normal and your engine obviously had issues before the catastrophic failure.
Thanks for your reply Raj! Dumping it would be easier if I didn't still have about a year left on my loan!
Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thans Kevin, and sorry for your loss! : ) I felt the same way about my first car, a Renault Alliance GTA convertible back in the 90's. But an Audi shouldn't just die at 140,000, should it? I still have a car loan on it!! I need to get at least enough life or $ out of it to pay it off.
Old 05-04-2019, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lalunia
Thans Kevin, and sorry for your loss! : ) I felt the same way about my first car, a Renault Alliance GTA convertible back in the 90's. But an Audi shouldn't just die at 140,000, should it? I still have a car loan on it!! I need to get at least enough life or $ out of it to pay it off.
Take a look at my signature and the car listed at the bottom. Note the mileage when I threw in the towel. I was the original owner and the car was meticulously maintained. I spent more than $10k trying to keep her alive once she passed the 135k mile mark. I ended up buying a brand new A6 for cash because I decided it would be cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

burning a quart a month is way too much oil.
replacing the engine is not $30k.
You have a spun rod bearing, that means your engine overheated from starvation of oil.
did someone overfill the oil so you could go an extra week not adding any?? I suspect you never checked the levels after someone added oil?
overfilling it is worse than low oil.
you could call around and see how much local garages will swap an engine from a junkyard, truthfully I dont see it being more $7k.
only problem is most mechanics that dont know Audi/VW's will be clueless on troubleshooting.
140k is not high miles the engine should still be running like new at 140k this aint the 90's anymore...
Old 05-05-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

You need more quotes on the repairs to make a better decision. If the repair exceeds what you owe on the car then a low mileage used q7 may make more sense in the long run and roll in what you currently owe.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks so much for the perspective! I'm going to call around for some more estimates.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...ine-06e100033q

Quick Reply: New engine at 140,000 miles?! Need some advice