Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 3.6l engine sputter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 3.6l engine sputter

I recently bought 08 Q7 and it runs great,however when car is shut off for 15-20 min and started again,on take off it sputter on almost all cyl's than it clears up and drives great again.If i run it all the time there is no issues.When started first thing in the morning it runs great. I had check engine light on first time and had cyl missfire on 2 cyl's. Cleared the codes and drove again for 3000 miles and problem was always there but no light on. Second time it came on i had 5 cyl's missfire. Took it to dealer and they scanned and said that it was probably poor fuel quality as per dealer "northeast ohio has some of the worst fuel in country". I always fill with 93 grade fuel and almost never fill at the same gas station.Their explanation is that fuel here has lot of alcohol and when engine is hot it evaporates and creates air pockets and that is reason for sputter. Now i may be crazy but this makes no sense at all? If there is no leak where does this evaporate? Has anyone had this problem before? If so please help. Also few nights ago when engine was sputtering i checked dash and check engine light started flashing, 5 flashes, than pouse, than 18 flashes and it went off, and it hasnt been on since. I am all puzzled with this issue and any help is apriciated.
Thank you in advance!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MY 2007 Q7 3.6 sputters when it's cold, then warms up and it's fine, dealer tells me to put some good cleaner in there. I think it's the coil packs. I had all my coil packs replaced on a recall for both my Q7 and A6. not sure why. make sure yours has been replaced if on the list.. the check engine light will flash when the coil packs fail or one goes bad. you can still drive the car if you have some thing still firing. they say if the check engine light is flashing don;t drive it. My sputtering wasn;t always there but only there now when cold, I have no idea what it is until something fails. I'm sure it is something with the igintion system breaking down but have to wait till it fails.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vlado
I recently bought 08 Q7 and it runs great,however when car is shut off for 15-20 min and started again,on take off it sputter on almost all cyl's than it clears up and drives great again.If i run it all the time there is no issues.When started first thing in the morning it runs great. I had check engine light on first time and had cyl missfire on 2 cyl's. Cleared the codes and drove again for 3000 miles and problem was always there but no light on. Second time it came on i had 5 cyl's missfire. Took it to dealer and they scanned and said that it was probably poor fuel quality as per dealer "northeast ohio has some of the worst fuel in country". I always fill with 93 grade fuel and almost never fill at the same gas station.Their explanation is that fuel here has lot of alcohol and when engine is hot it evaporates and creates air pockets and that is reason for sputter. Now i may be crazy but this makes no sense at all? If there is no leak where does this evaporate? Has anyone had this problem before? If so please help. Also few nights ago when engine was sputtering i checked dash and check engine light started flashing, 5 flashes, than pouse, than 18 flashes and it went off, and it hasnt been on since. I am all puzzled with this issue and any help is apriciated.
Thank you in advance!!!
Sounds exactly like the crap my dealer told me. Were you at Cascade by any chance? I had a failed check valve, and the replacement made things about 50% better. Still misfires on hot restarts.....but it is drivable now.

Tom
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yup Cascade audi.Mine is still driveble and i just kind of baby it when it sputters but i like my cars full throttle when needed. I am going to try fuel cleaner that they recomended and see what happens
Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vlado
Yup Cascade audi.Mine is still driveble and i just kind of baby it when it sputters but i like my cars full throttle when needed. I am going to try fuel cleaner that they recomended and see what happens
What type of fuel cleaner did they recomend?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

not sure what it's called but apperently according to audi dealer they sell only one audi recomends.When i was there last time they were out of it so i got to go back to get it