Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 and 3 car seats, what are you guys doing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 and 3 car seats, what are you guys doing?

With #3 on its way we need to put 3 car seats in the Q7.

Currently we have 2 recaro pro sports in there. we will need to add an infant carrier to the mix.

How do all of you have your child seats positioned?

There is no way the 3 seats will fit in the 2nd row.

I need to keep at least 1 of the 3rd row seats down for trunk space. Yet still be able to get the kid from the 3rd out easily without them hopping through the hatch everytime.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get three accross!
Pic from car of mksap11
Old 11-28-2012, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are Radian/Sunshine Kids car seats. They have a narrower base and can be used for infants as well. They take up a lot of space/incline if rear facing though. You can fit 3 across if need be.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM
AZC
AudiWorld Junior Member

Doesn’t the new one need to sit backwards? We have two Graco seats in ours.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kyrocks
They are Radian/Sunshine Kids car seats. They have a narrower base and can be used for infants as well. They take up a lot of space/incline if rear facing though. You can fit 3 across if need be.
My wife's looking at the Q7. Does the Rear facing seat fit ok? Do you have to move the front passenger seat far forward? this is a primary reason for her trading in her Volvo.
Also, how do you get into the 3rd Row? If I have a Radian Seat facing forward, Can I tilt the whole seat forward enough to get into the 3rd row?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cut68
My wife's looking at the Q7. Does the Rear facing seat fit ok? Do you have to move the front passenger seat far forward? this is a primary reason for her trading in her Volvo.
Also, how do you get into the 3rd Row? If I have a Radian Seat facing forward, Can I tilt the whole seat forward enough to get into the 3rd row?
We had the Britax Marathon seats and had a rear-facing one behind the passenger seat for a while. No space issues.
On the other hand, the memories of the quality time spent moving the seats from the second to the third row and back have not faded yet. The space is pretty cramped with that size seat facing forward, I doubt you could install it facing back, even with the second row all the way forward and all the way up (which would probably make the 2nd row occupants quite miserable)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aqaqaq123
We had the Britax Marathon seats and had a rear-facing one behind the passenger seat for a while. No space issues.
On the other hand, the memories of the quality time spent moving the seats from the second to the third row and back have not faded yet. The space is pretty cramped with that size seat facing forward, I doubt you could install it facing back, even with the second row all the way forward and all the way up (which would probably make the 2nd row occupants quite miserable)
I understand what you are saying. I have 2 seats, one kid faces forward and once faces back. assuming I have both on the second row, on the sides with an open space in the middle, would I be able to access the third row seating for additonal passengers? On the side with the front facing car seat, can I tilt the whole seat forward to get into the 3rd row?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cut68
I understand what you are saying. I have 2 seats, one kid faces forward and once faces back. assuming I have both on the second row, on the sides with an open space in the middle, would I be able to access the third row seating for additonal passengers? On the side with the front facing car seat, can I tilt the whole seat forward to get into the 3rd row?
The middle part of the backrest folds flat and it fits between two car seats placed in the outboard positions. If you have two older children riding with you, they can easily step over the folded middle piece and get into the third row. They will leave footprints on the leather or carpet every now and then, unless you warn them every time .
Having two adults in the third row is generally not feasible for anything but short trips, so you wouldn't want to seat them there anyway.

With the rear-facing child seat on, unless it's a big one, you can slide the bench forward and fold it down far enough to gain access to the third row. Ingress is helped more by how far the 2nd row slides forward vs how flat the backrest folds, so you should be able to get into the third row. It's not the most convenient/comfortable option but the only proper alternative is a minivan. If you have one of those Gracos that click into a plastic base (for infants), that's even easier.

Something we did a lot was to put the rear-facing seat in the middle (the car's wide enough for that, even though just barely). That left one premium outboard seat available for grandma, so we did not need to use the third row all the time.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aqaqaq123
The middle part of the backrest folds flat and it fits between two car seats placed in the outboard positions. If you have two older children riding with you, they can easily step over the folded middle piece and get into the third row. They will leave footprints on the leather or carpet every now and then, unless you warn them every time .
Having two adults in the third row is generally not feasible for anything but short trips, so you wouldn't want to seat them there anyway.

With the rear-facing child seat on, unless it's a big one, you can slide the bench forward and fold it down far enough to gain access to the third row. Ingress is helped more by how far the 2nd row slides forward vs how flat the backrest folds, so you should be able to get into the third row. It's not the most convenient/comfortable option but the only proper alternative is a minivan. If you have one of those Gracos that click into a plastic base (for infants), that's even easier.

Something we did a lot was to put the rear-facing seat in the middle (the car's wide enough for that, even though just barely). That left one premium outboard seat available for grandma, so we did not need to use the third row all the time.
That answers my question, thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have two recarro prorides in my q7 and there are no issues with my seat being back. I would imagine you would need to move one of the older kids seats to the middle so that you can put the newborn rear facing seat on the outside. Its possible to do just not a whole bunch of room then.

How old are the kids? Is one old enough to use a booster in the 3rd row?

Quick Reply: Q7 and 3 car seats, what are you guys doing?