Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Flex Pipe issue help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skuse
Hello all,
Brand new to the forum! Been searching the net for 2 days and no luck. Wife's 2009 Q7 3.6 and have a leaky flex pipe. Dealer wants 4k... local shop 2k. yup.. all labor apparently. I don't think there is any way in hell they could be welded in place. So figure I'd tackle it myself... Can't even get out of the starting block.. sigh. Anyone have any pointers to some detailed information? Guessing it all has to come out in pieces... First step: I'm trying to disconnect it right under where the passenger seat is. Two separate pipes coming down off the passenger side manifold and flange together with the rear section. Each pipe has 3 "bolts" holding the together. Reason I say "bolts" is I can't tell if it;s a bolt, stud or what. too rusted to tell. Trying to cut them out but that's not even looking good. Will post a pic as soon as I find out how.
no answer for you but those price quotes are way off. I live in an expensive state and the local shop just replaced the flex pipe along with manifold gasket for $1200 and that includes parts. the flexpipe is $500 from their parts places obviously its only $250 from rock auto but as you see. that quote is crazy.
I was having them change the tranny fluid when I asked them a quote to fix this pipe as its been leaking for a few years. when they said $1200 I said do it.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the notes! Yea, I'd be good with 1200.. especially if it included the intake gasket. Too late now though... I'm too far in!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oops. Misread that. Though you said intake manifold. Guess I had that on my mind as well since that should probably be replaced too.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skuse
Oops. Misread that. Though you said intake manifold. Guess I had that on my mind as well since that should probably be replaced too.
Yeah ooops actually that was my mistake as I have intake gasket on my mind lol. I just changed that on my fathers ford taurus
I did mean manifold gasket. mine was leaking there also for a few years. previous owner took it to a shop who claimed to have replaced this flex pipe for him.
but when I inspected it what they actually did was break a manifold bolt and leave another 2 threads backed out. so the gasket was leaking. I think they epoxied it to hide their screwup and that eventually fell off.
Maybe taking the manifold off makes replacing this pipe easier? but I am guessing its almost certain u will break a manifold bolt.
I talked to the shop manager quite a bit and he never noted this was going to be a difficult job. he did tell me the mechanic accidentally snapped a small plastic coolant line T line. he didnt charge me for that. I cant see which where it was, and am hoping they actually replaced it instead of patched it.
I havent looked at their work from below yet. I will next oil change though.
hope you are able to get this out.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, got it all apart and out! No fun... but not impossible. The worst part was definitely the bolts (or whatever they were) that held those two flanges together. Fortunately? the broken flexpipes made my life easier since I was able to more the exhaust enough to be able to get at the lost bolt and get everything separated. Not sure how you'd be able to get it out otherwise.

As far as the "bolts" holding the flanges together... 3 of the came completely out like they were bolts with nuts. The other 3 are still stuck in the flange and look like studs. Will post once I get them out.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Old 02-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update..... I visited 3 shops.

general mechanic: $1800
exhaust shop #1 : $2000
exhaust shop #2 : $950 (winner)

it was 6 hours of labor + $150 in flex pipe parts

the problem is the amount of labor to access the pipes and disconnect the flex pipes. Horrible design and it sounds like an issue most of these Q7s in bad weather areas will eventually have due to rust. Good luck, hunt around and find someone that will do it on a per hour basis.

Note: the sound is annoying more than anything but here in MA you won’t pass inspection with a split exhaust pipe
The following users liked this post:
sjdobihal@yahoo.com (03-31-2024)
Old 02-11-2019, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank for the info. Same challenge here in PA.

So I called a few local shops and no one wants to touch it since they say there's no way to weld in the flex pipe and be able to be sure it will line up when put back in. So started looking around for a replacement and initially it didn't look too bad (< $600 for both). However, when I actually called to order, it looks like all the ones out there wont fit on mine! The all say VIN 4L7076621 and mine is 4L39D011200. Call Eastern Catalytic (listed on rockauto) and said not looking good.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this will help when talking to shops:

1) the flex is before the catalytic so it’s not necessary to replace the catalytic converter. I think this confuses some shops when they look the part number up OR they are just trying to pump up then bill by telling you you need to replace the Catalytic too

2) the factory exhaust parts are expensive. The muffler shop I ended up using used standard non-oem flex pipe to repair the section. Parts were just $150 but I think OEM parts include a much bigger section of pipe and was More like +$600. I know the shop that quoted me $2000 insisted on using the OEM parts.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh man I missed you got this off etc...
is it all back on??
I could have looked at my paper work and got you the part number they used for mine.
I think they also told me the wrong pipe was sent to them so it delayed the fix a bit lol.

Quick Reply: Q7 Flex Pipe issue help