Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Towing package

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Towing package

New to this site.. Looking at buying a Q7 TDI. I have a 26ft holiday trailer with a dry weight around 5300lbs.. I am looking for a 2014 or 2015 Q7 TDI with factory towing package.. How can you tell the difference between if it has a factory towing package or if a hitch is installed without physically seeing the vehicle? I don't want to waste my time going to these dealerships to find out it's just a hitch and not the actual towing package. The first thing I look for now is being able to change the suspension to towing mode..
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,The facotry towing package comes with brakes control unit,a trailer's wiring connector,receiver with wiring harness attached as well a hitch with ball and a cover,You may look for the audi q7 premium or the sport line cones already with package i think,other models only cone with normal hitch and not detachable
Old 12-28-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Should be on the sticker if it was built with the towing package.. any Audi dealer can re-print the original window sticker.

it does not come with a break controller, its just pre-wired for one.. and all of em are, even those with aftermarket hitches..

a 26ft trailer dry @ 5300lbs sounds a bit large, not that it wouldent pull it but you'll be at or over your ratings when camping.. I'm looking at a 17ft toy hauler that has a max weight of 6k, but dry its like 3200.. heck I hauled 1000lbs of gear in a trailer just tent camping, I'm expecting that to be quite a bit higher making the jump to a camper trailer.. seems to me the Max weight of trailer and max tow of vehicle should be alot closer, whats the point of having a trailer that can haul 5 tons, and weighs 2.5 tons dry if your your TV can only handle 3 tons

User Manual says not to use a WD hitch, tho people do and claim no issues..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 12-28-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I got the factory tow package on my 2015 Q7 TDI Prestige S-Line in the USA... I have never towed with it (I use it for bike racks)... But, I can tell you that I didn't get a hitch/ball.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OEM Hitches can be installed after the fact, but only vehicles built with the Tow Package at factory got the upgraded radiator fans.. Gives you an extra 1000lbs of towing capacity, but there is no visible indicators between an OEM Hitch installed after the fact or a Factory installed hitch, they look the same.. the only way to know 100% for sure your used vehicle came from the factory with the tow package is to pull the original build/order info based off the VIN (ie, Window sticker), really only Audi Dealers/Employees can retrieve this information to confirm, online VIN decoders and stuff wont show this option.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thank you. I figured as much.. After being loaded for camping I would say I am no more then 6200. I don't carry water ever, I use to haul with an F150 and never felt the thing. I know that with a unibody i might feel it more but I am still under the 6600 max. I was just hoping there might be a secret I am not getting here like there is one more button on the consol or its in the VIN.. Either way my hunt still continues. They are hard to find with the actual towing package and not just the hitch.. My dealer is getting a couple lease returns so we will see. I have heard nothing but good things when it comes to the pulling of the Q7
Old 12-28-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ah yeah I dispersed camp for a week or two at a time, gotta bring lots of water and supplies.. Whats the wet tongue weight at? With propane and batteries I see most camper trailers are above 10% tongue and expect you to use a WD hitch to bring it back within spec.. If your F150 towed it well the TDI engine will handle it effortlessly, its just if your willing to ignore the manual and hookup a WD/Sway hitch to handle that load easier.. The camper I'm looking at needs a +3in hitch rise too.. Ive got Air Suspension and that'll help i'm sure.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 12-28-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
User Manual says not to use a WD hitch, tho people do and claim no issues..
Be VERY careful about using Weight Distribution hitch unless the receiver is specifically designed for it. PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: I had an aftermarket Curt hitch installed on my Q5... It seemed "Logical" to me that WD would help take weight off the car. The problem is that if not designed for it, the WD System actually puts loads on the hitch that it was not designed for. In my case, the front end of the hitch actually became detached from the car when I went over a speed bump with the front wheels and Trailer wheels. The leverage that the WD System puts onto the hitch was too much for the attachment system. I had to re-attach it, and stop using the WD Hitch, and all was good again, and towing went super. Now I have new Q7 with tow package & Auto Level system, and looking forward to towing (without WD system).
The following users liked this post:
Gadlen (07-04-2023)
Old 12-29-2017, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To the OP. If you’re going to tow that much weight, be sure to get a Q7 with air suspension. It makes all the difference in the world!
Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
To the OP. If you’re going to tow that much weight, be sure to get a Q7 with air suspension. It makes all the difference in the world!
+1

Q5 is too lightweight for that much trailer

Grey

Quick Reply: Q7 Towing package