Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Transmission Fluid change on 35k and 75k?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing

Originally Posted by markray
Thanks
I changed the fluid at 92 000 it was easy and took about 2 hours and i was taking my time l.

have a 09 3.6 witch took life guard 8 .again very easy.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good write up. Debating doing this myself. Or just taking it to someone that has done it. I have an oil extrator from my PWC but don't have a pump. Looks like the pumps are $80 at ECS.

I still shake my head thinking what a horribly designed setup to change this fluid.

Last edited by not2fast; 07-15-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have the 3.6 engine, the 6-speed auto is not the same as the with 4.2 engine or t-reg. The 3.6 6-speed is from ZF and the 4.2/t-reg 6-speed is from Asin. Fortunately, the drain/fill procedure is the same, but the fluid is very different, so make sure you have the correct fluid. If you have the ZF transmission and high miles, you might also consider changing out the "mechatronic sleeve", the plastic sleeve at the electrical connector. When it leaks, you have to drop the pan to fix it. If the pan is already off, it's not too big a job. If you search for "zf mechatronic sleeve replacement" it will pop up writeups and videos for it, mostly for bimmers (or fords), but it's the same basic transmission. These things are plastic with a rubber seal, and leaks are pretty common. When the transmission starts leaking, there's no reasonable way to measure how far down the fluid level is (thanks, Audi). Ford uses the same transmission but at least added a mickey-mouse dipstick.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to do a partial drain/fill of ATF using a vacuum suction thing? I did that on my volvo from above. The ATF has no dipstick or anything to check/fill from above?
Or a partial drain and fill from below? Just drain and keep the pan on there, run the engine a bit until it stops coming out? then refill? I know it's not optimal, but better than nothing?
150k miles, never been done to my knowledge. Bought the car at 109k.
3.6L 6 speed 2008 Q7

Last edited by jhyatt; 10-22-2019 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by jhyatt
Is there any way to do a partial drain/fill of ATF using a vacuum suction thing? I did that on my volvo from above. The ATF has no dipstick or anything to check/fill from above?
Or a partial drain and fill from below? Just drain and keep the pan on there, run the engine a bit until it stops coming out? then refill? I know it's not optimal, but better than nothing?
150k miles, never been done to my knowledge. Bought the car at 109k.
3.6L 6 speed 2008 Q7
I could be wrong but I don't recall a atf dipstick, hence why it is a sealed system.

Just pull the drain plug and measure how much come out and put that much back in is what some say. I can't recall if the fill hole is like you find on amy transfer cases and diffs where you fill it until the fluid starts to run out the hole (on level ground) and once no fluid comes out you put the bolt back in.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a bit overdue to replace my fluid. Anyone know if the adaption delete is required on the 8 speed on the TDI? It sounds like a hard process to get get just right and I saw nothing that would give you a clear indication it was done right. Is there a way to just reset it via ODBeleven/VCDS?
Old 10-23-2019, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You fill until fluid runs out of the fill hole with the engine running and at the specified temp. If the transmission is correctly filled when you begin the job, nothing will drain out when you pull the plug. There's not a separate drain and fill plug, just a fill plug.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It may be sealed and have "Lifetime Fluid" but here's how mine looked at 55k miles:
The following users liked this post:
A665 (11-08-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did it stink at all? On my other cars that aren't sealed when I check my ATF dipstick they are basically still pink even when it hasn't been changed in ages. I know fluid can turn brown with age so maybe that's normal and if so that's good to know because mine probably would have given me concern since it has 2x the times miles. The only time ive had a car with brown ATF was when the trans (clutch packs) were going bad and slipping and the fluid was brown and stunk. That fluid was much darker than yours though and could have been confused as used motor oil based on the dark brown color.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think ATF just stinks. It didn't smell much worse than the new fluid going in.

Seems to shift a little nicer afterward, but mostly I have peace of mind knowing it's at least a bit better than it was. Will probably change it again before another 55k. Ran me about $145 in the end doing it myself.

I had purchased 10 quarts of Toyota Type WS fluid (bout $95 bux). To do the flush I drained and changed the filter (Filter - $33, Gasket - $15), then filled it (about 5.5 quarts). While idling I put in another quart and a half and let that drain out. Then I added a quart each time and let it drain, until the final quart where I let it drain to the appropriate level. By this time temp was about right, the fluid was barely dribbling out and I put the plug in. Obviously 100% of the fluid wasn't replaced, but I'd like to think the majority of it was.

Definitely wasn't as dark as my engine oil, mine comes out jet black (the joys of having a diesel, black 250 miles after changing it)

Last edited by TheMysticWizard1; 10-25-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Q7 Transmission Fluid change on 35k and 75k?