Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Windshield Back Order in US?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Windshield Back Order in US?

Hello!

We purchased a 2018 Q7 Prestige in October. Within one hour of buying it, a small rock hit our windshield on the highway and created a large star, followed quickly by a long crack. We couldn't believe it! It was our 2nd time driving the car and we had to take it for service. Unbelievable.

Because it was so new, I took it back to the dealer so it would be done right. Besides the windshield being very expensive (sensors, calibration, etc.), we were told the windshield was on back order in the US and would be "a few weeks". Two weeks later they said "it's still on back order, it will be another 2- 3 weeks". It ended up taking 7 weeks to come in.

I asked them why it was back-ordered so far, and they said there are none in the US so everyone is waiting, but apparently they are available in Germany. I find that hard to believe - there must be tens of thousands of Q7s in the US, and broken windshields are fairly common. I researched online but didn't see anything about it. When I picked it up today, they said they are now on back order for 6 months, and they already have two customers waiting. WTF?!

My questions for the forum:

1) Can anyone verify this? Are there really NO Q7 windshields available in the US, or is my dealer full of it?
2) If so, is this common for Audi parts? This is my first Audi. We LOVE the Q7, but I'm a little concerned that it was so difficult to get a simple part.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.