Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Rear Hatch Won't Close

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that you were able to fix it. That's what I love about this blog. Best.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q7pgh1
From what I can tell through a search, I've been having a different problem from the other posts in this Thread. On a few occasions on cold days (<20F) after the 13 Q7 has been sitting out, the hatch will open, but when I attempt to close it using the button on the bottom of the hatch, no response. I have to push it closed and there's significant resistance. Any thoughts? Is the button/switch going bad?
Hello I hope you are well, I see that in the thread of the questionnaire the solution of your problem does not appear, I have an audi q7 with the same problem that you mention. Can you tell me what was your solution?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sjsuQ7
Just finished replacing he locking latch on the rear lid. The only issue was getting the rear lid trim back on.

After playing around with the bad latch, it is pretty easy to test your locking latch if you are having this problem with the rear lid not closing.

Manually engage the locking latch to the lock position, if it springs back, then you have a bad locking latch. A working latch will stay locked, now all you have to do is manually unlock it using the manual release in rear lid trim. Now that you know your latch is good, can check the other components (spring, striker plate, etc.,).
I had same issue, lift gate closed, pulled in and the opens about 10". The latch was not locking when pressing with a screwdriver. Light for lift gate open ON on dashboard. Removed it and just hitting it, released the mechanism. Locked and unlocked couple times, added dry graphite and all ok. Next time, before removing it, just hit it couple times with a hammer unblock and then apply grease. Saves you removing all trim on liftgate.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank You from The Year 2021

Just wanted to thank everyone on this thread. Went to Home Depot to pick up some sod in my Audi Q7. It was a far messier affair than I had envisioned, and my Q7 hatch won't fully lock. Searched on Google for a solution and found this thread. Saved me a trip to the deal and probably many hundreds of $$$. Took out the lock mechanism and gave it a good cleaning and lubrication and voila the lock worked.

Please thanks to xlr8it for the advice on cleaning the locking mechanism, and Santorin Drm pig pal on how to disassemble the locking mechanism (and what tools to use).

Cheers.

A very Dirty Locking Mechanism.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2009 Q7 - Rear Hatch Switch Opens but not Close

Hey guys, my 2009 Q7 has an electrical problem where the trunk will open, and the close button at the right side of the gate will not respond to closing. However if after opening the tailgate I press that button, it will stop the opening of the liftgate halfway. Usually if when pressed again, it will then reverse and close the liftgate. However pressing it again will just continue its trajectory to keep opening up. So somehow there is something that fail to register that the liftgate should reverse and close. Any idea what the problem is? The switch still lights up and the pins look clean. It just fails to respond to close, whether the engine is running or off. I've had this problem intermittently but it has now persisted.

HELP