Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Settlement claim question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Settlement claim question

Bought used TDI March 2017 with the belief per Carfax that the vehicle was traded in March a few days prior to purchase. As I read the agreement if the original owner sold the vehicle after 1/31/2017 they were not entitled to participate in the claim. My initial contact with VW they told me that the original owner had yet to file all their paperwork and I would receive half payment at this time. If their paperwork was never completed, I would be paid a "top off payment." When I spoke to VW today all they could tell me was the claim was settled and I would have to appeal to the Claims Review Committee. Just mailed off all paperwork backing up my claims. Anybody have similar experience?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I have not gone down the path yet, I bought a '13 last July, so I still have some time to see if it was already done or what I want to do. An extended warranty would be nice, since it only has 60k miles on it.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
I have not gone down the path yet, I bought a '13 last July, so I still have some time to see if it was already done or what I want to do. An extended warranty would be nice, since it only has 60k miles on it.
@cuatrokoop why not just enter your Vin here and it'll tell you right away whether you're eligible : https://www.audidiesellookup.com/
Old 07-21-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by raj99
@cuatrokoop why not just enter your Vin here and it'll tell you right away whether you're eligible : https://www.audidiesellookup.com/
I had not seen that site, just the general settlement site. It looks like the dealership I bought the TDI had the work done. One of their sales guys had the car as his vehicle for ~6mo before they put it up for sale, they put about 3k miles on it after they got it and the work was done. We've put about 7k on it since then.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

The fix was not released til November 2017 IIRC, if you bought it in march.. they couldent had fixed it.

Though if you bought a vehicle after fix was released from a dealer, it would had never left the lot unfixed.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
The fix was not released til November 2017 IIRC, if you bought it in march.. they couldent had fixed it.

Though if you bought a vehicle after fix was released from a dealer, it would had never left the lot unfixed.
Fix date was 11/22/2017 according to the website Raj posted. However, I am going to verify with the Audi dealer I use because that seems to be very close to the release date from what I remember as well. I didn't buy the car from an Audi dealer, I bought it from a boutique dealer, I do not believe they would have been obligated to have the fix applied. They had it about 6mo and 3k miles, and we've since added about 7k to it ourselves thanks to my daughter showing Quarter Horses.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you bought it AFTER the release was fixed, it was fixed when you bought it.. you get nothing for buying a fixed vehicle, regardless where you bought it from.. you have to be the person to get it fixed to get money.

before the fix people were buying em up left and right, the ppl you bought it from probably grabbed a few, put em in storage, waited for the fix to come out.. got em fixed, cashed em out and sold one of em to you..

I know one guy who had a barn with about 30 TDI's and made deep into the 6 figures off the settlement, he fixed em all and unloaded em asap before market became too saturated.. they drove up prices for ppl like me who was looking for a Q7 at the time.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you bought it AFTER the release was fixed, it was fixed when you bought it.. you get nothing for buying a fixed vehicle, regardless where you bought it from.. you have to be the person to get it fixed to get money.

before the fix people were buying em up left and right, the ppl you bought it from probably grabbed a few, put em in storage, waited for the fix to come out.. got em fixed, cashed em out and sold one of em to you..

I know one guy who had a barn with about 30 TDI's and made deep into the 6 figures off the settlement, he fixed em all and unloaded em asap before market became too saturated.. they drove up prices for ppl like me who was looking for a Q7 at the time.
That's crazy, and unfortunately a way to work a system while being legal. They should not have allowed dealers to collect the money (and if you have 30+ vehicles, you would likely have to have a license in any state, I know in OH if you sell more than six cars in a year you MUST have a UD#, the guy you know likely sold all of them in 6-12mo). Heck, I could probably still sell my '13 for similar money to what I paid. There are tons of Gen 1 TDI's out there right now, if they get any cheaper I may have to replace my 3.6.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They didnt let VW/Audi/Porsche dealers participate, but anyone else was fair game.. the guy I'm speaking of did have a dealers license, stupid easy to obtain and many ppl go through the hoops just to get access to the auctions.. I had friends who got me in before who just dealt in flipping classics, I doubt they sold enough cars per year to need it.. I bet everyone of the mechanics I know with their own shops have licenses.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-21-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Yep, overpaid for mine because of speculative TDIclub members!! lol

Quick Reply: Settlement claim question