Slow Crank

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:34 AM
HK1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Crank

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Audi Q7 3.0d - keyless push start. When I start the car from cold, the engine does not start first time. I have to press the engine start button and leave the car ignition on for around 20 seconds. Then when I fire the engine, it starts first time. A brand new battery fitted. It tends to be worse in cold weather. Also, if I drive the car (say go to the supermarket) and leave it parked for a few mins, the next time I start it, it starts first time with no delay? Any help much appreciate!

Thanks
Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it's very cold you have to press start without foot on brake and let the glow plugs heat up. That's why it's not starting right away I would assume, after you've been driving and get back in, the glow plugs don't need that much time to warm up again.

The attached image shows your glow plug indicator that lights up in your instrument cluster, wait until it turns off, foot on brake and press start again.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:14 PM
HK1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TDI_smurf
If it's very cold you have to press start without foot on brake and let the glow plugs heat up. That's why it's not starting right away I would assume, after you've been driving and get back in, the glow plugs don't need that much time to warm up again.

The attached image shows your glow plug indicator that lights up in your instrument cluster, wait until it turns off, foot on brake and press start again.
Hi. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated. I thought it was the glow plugs too but the light you mention goes of in about 2 seconds. I have to wait much longer with ignition on without foot on brake pedal. Then it starts.

Don't know if this is related but last week I left the car unlocked for 45 mins. Everything was off but just forget to press lock on remote. When I returned the battery was drained. New battery fitted about 6 months back so can't be that.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

See my post directly below.... Do you get any of the other trends and symptoms I describe ?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 AM
HK1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Martyn 2006 Q7 TDI
See my post directly below.... Do you get any of the other trends and symptoms I describe ?
Hi Martyn,

I took a look at your post and these are the exact same symptoms my Audi has. Have you figured out what the problem was?

For cold starts, I find the cranking is improved if I leave the ignition on for about 15 secs before firing the engine. My theory is that there is a battery drain somewhere.

Regards,

Harshad
Old 01-27-2016, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HK1
Hi. Thank you for replying. Much appreciated. I thought it was the glow plugs too but the light you mention goes of in about 2 seconds. I have to wait much longer with ignition on without foot on brake pedal. Then it starts.

Don't know if this is related but last week I left the car unlocked for 45 mins. Everything was off but just forget to press lock on remote. When I returned the battery was drained. New battery fitted about 6 months back so can't be that.
Was the new battery coded to the car? If not it is probably shot. Only use OEM batteries on these beasts and get them coded by VAG or VCDS