Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Tire Pressure question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure question.

My tires are Pirelli's 275/45R 20 110 H the front tires require 44 psi and 49 psi in the back. I got a low pressure warning 3 weeks ago and when I check it my PSI's were in the 30's which is grossly under what he manufacture recommends. Hubby thinks that the dealership lowered the PSI for a better ride since he finds it hard to believe that the tires could lose that much air in all tires in the time we have taken delivery of the car which was about 6 weeks of ownership at that time 2015 PP Q7. My question to you all is are you all running the tires at the recommended PSI or are you running it with a bit less? This is the first time I have ever owned an Audi prior to this we owned a GX 470 and of course the ride was totally different. We also had air suspension on the Lexus that we don't have on the Audi. Love the car but it is a totally different ride. Could use your advice.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I, personally, run 42 front and 44 rear. If I'm heavily loaded, as when pulling my karavan, I'll do 44 & 49.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Since I rarely have more than 2 in my Q7 I run 35 all the way around. I adjust it up if I anticipate a heavier load.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I, personally, run 42 front and 44 rear. If I'm heavily loaded, as when pulling my karavan, I'll do 44 & 49.
^^^this is most likely the best set up for all around daily use. ( i do 48psi all around just for more even wear and rotate tires with every oil change. )
Old 12-06-2015, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

To the OP: The best way to find the right combination of tire pressure ride vs handling is to start with the recommended PSIs as found in your manual - they should only be measured when the tires are cold. (The PSIs on the door pillar label are for max load only).

When set, you can add a lb or two of pressure at a time until you find the best preference of comfort and handling. Once you find your sweet spot, set the tire pressures in the MMI.
BTW, it's not recommended to go below the manual's PSI recommendations.

Also, keep in mind that ambient temperatures will affect tire pressures. As it gets colder outside, the PSIs will drop and vice versa, sometimes significantly. Same when measuring tire pressures when they are warm vs. after a couple of hours sitting.

Dealers usually will use the manual's tire pressure recommendation or if anything, tend to overfill them. I always tell the SA the PSIs I want when he/she is entering the service info.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I will adjust accordingly. Right now I am having a stiff ride so I'm going to let some of the air out.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Again, don't go below the recommended PSIs in the manual. Besides excessive tire wear, you could be opening yourself up to tire "roll" in cornering which could be a safety issue, especially in a heavy car like the Q7.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also, keep in mind that ambient temperatures will affect tire pressures. As it gets colder outside, the PSIs will drop and vice versa, sometimes significantly. Same when measuring tire pressures when they are warm vs. after a couple of hours sitting.
it varies one psi per ten degrees of F temperature.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Also keep in mind the tire pressures as stated on the sidewall of the tire, do not exceed the max rating. The 18" Pirellis I'm running on the 3.6 carry a lower maximum pressure rating than the 19" Pirellis on the 4.2 (same model of tire, just different sizes).

But yes, there is a something floating around the dealer network to set tire pressures somewhere around 35psi on our cars. The one dealership I've been to a few times has done the same thing, twice.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm the same running 42/44 unless I'm loading and towing and i will up to 48 at the rear.
This has given an almost perfectly flat tyre wear too.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure question.