Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

today the fuel filler door would not open

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default today the fuel filler door would not open

My wife called to inform me that the fuel filler door would not pop out as usual. Even before I could ask she told me that she had tried to troubleshoot the issue. Lock & unlock, tap the filler door, listened for actuator while locking and unlocking. No luck. It seems that it is stuck, so off to the dealer it went. Since it was after 7PM we had to use the night-drop. This is the first time the Q has malfunctioned. We still love it though.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to ours too. Dealer had to pry open the door and then leave it unlock able. This lasted for over a month. Apparently the part was shipped by steamer from Germany, then came overland via dog sleigh. Or, the dealer forgot to call us and it was only when we brought it in to have the recurring (still) issue of the MIL looked into that someone remembered the fuel door lock pin.

Still love ours too!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by StFrancis
My wife called to inform me that the fuel filler door would not pop out as usual. Even before I could ask she told me that she had tried to troubleshoot the issue. Lock & unlock, tap the filler door, listened for actuator while locking and unlocking. No luck. It seems that it is stuck, so off to the dealer it went. Since it was after 7PM we had to use the night-drop. This is the first time the Q has malfunctioned. We still love it though.
Where in GA? There is a manual over ride for the fuel door lock.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Manual fuel flap release inside trunk behind panel!

See the red pull cord.
07 car of UrQ. Please tell me if the newer models with the revised fuel flap like the Q5s do not have it.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Where in GA? There is a manual over ride for the fuel door lock.
Smyrna. When my wife left work yesterday evening she drove directly to me and I did exactly what ya'll recommended by prying the rear trim panel to expose the red fuel flap release. I tried tugging with moderate tension to no avail. I did not want to make it worse so I gave up.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StFrancis
Smyrna. When my wife left work yesterday evening she drove directly to me and I did exactly what ya'll recommended by prying the rear trim panel to expose the red fuel flap release. I tried tugging with moderate tension to no avail. I did not want to make it worse so I gave up.

Thanks for the replies.

The manual fuel door opener really is not an opener. It is an "unlocker". When you pull the red "string" it will unlock the fuel door. You still need to open the door as you would normally do, i.e. press on it to pop it open.

Arrie
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had this happen a few months ago. I gently helped it open with a credit card with no adverse effects,
Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Arrie
The manual fuel door opener really is not an opener. It is an "unlocker". When you pull the red "string" it will unlock the fuel door. You still need to open the door as you would normally do, i.e. press on it to pop it open.

Arrie
It depends on what year we are talking about. Our 07 has an electronic release located on the drivers door next to the power hatch button. The '10 loaner we have which is more expensive does not have this feature. My wife called yesterday asking how to get the fuel door open as the manual "push the door to release" seems quite chincy compared to the power release our 07 has. Gotta love decontenting....
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
It depends on what year we are talking about. Our 07 has an electronic release located on the drivers door next to the power hatch button. The '10 loaner we have which is more expensive does not have this feature. My wife called yesterday asking how to get the fuel door open as the manual "push the door to release" seems quite chincy compared to the power release our 07 has. Gotta love decontenting....
This may be a personal preference thing. I prefer the way it is on my '10 Q7 - my wife's A4 has the fuel door release you describe in the driver's side front door and I found it to be a PITA because I'd always forget to push that button, have to remove a sunshade from the door pocket or something. I much prefer being able to open the fuel door from outside the car where I'll actually be using it.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems very annoying. 3 days ago Parking Brake Light would not go out. After re-engaging the parking brake and releasing it about 5 times, turning off the car and restarting it, I decided to pull the parking brake back to its original position by hand. Worked.

Quick Reply: today the fuel filler door would not open