Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Transmission Issues - Help! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by George Trudeau
I apologize for the SPAM Would I be able to perform this adaptation with the Hex+Can on the 17.8 release?
Are you located in Woodinville, wa? If so I'm very close.

Don't know exactly about that exact cable since mine works for all
Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystoke
George,

You €™re not spamming. You have an issue and the community is here to help you. Just give them a bit to settle in and I bet you can get your diagnosis straightened out.

Best of luck to you,

Grey
Wow, just- wow. I really, really appreciate those sentiments, Grey! Thanks! Here's hoping!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99

I re-borrowed that cable and am in the car now trying to figure out how to clear everything. Haha. I guess we will see.

Yes, I am actually right on the town line of Woodinville/Bothell WA. 240th St SE & 45th Ave SE, In Olympic Ridge. Geez, if you could help that would be absolutely amazing. Perhaps an evening this week??

~George

Last edited by George Trudeau; 11-12-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Most of those codes are not even engine related, and the ones that are, do not seem to be that serious.

The one I would be looking at is the Transmission Code for gear ratios.

Clear the codes one at a time, with the particular controller.

Some of them my come right back, I have a parking assistant error that will not clear, because it is a short to ground.

Good Luck
Old 11-12-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99

UPDATE:

I cleared all codes. I haven't driven it yet. Idling, waiting for car to get good and hot. I have several codes that came back immediately after clearing several times. 2 HVAC faults and 4 door faults. Outer door unlock sensors and front & rear HVAC sensors. Every time I clear them they come right back. So, obviously something is very broken there, but I'm not worried about those right now.

Everything else is clear and holding clear while idling.

This particular VagCom tool doesn't seem to have any options to do those steps you provided in the tranny adaptation procedure. So, I would really like to take you up on your offer to try and set those with your UBER tool! Haha!

In the meantime, I am going to take it for a ride and see what happens... will run another scan when i come back. Will update with status!!

~George

Last edited by George Trudeau; 11-12-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

UPDATE:

I cleared all codes. I haven't driven it yet. Idling, waiting for car to get good and hot. I have several codes that came back immediately after clearing several times. 2 HVAC faults and 4 door faults. Outer door unlock sensors and front & rear HVAC sensors. Every time I clear them they come right back. So, obviously something very broken there, but I'm not worried about those right now.

Everything else is clear and holding clear while idling.

This particular VagCom tool doesn't seem to have any options to do those steps you provided in the tranny adaptation procedure. So, I would really like to take you up on your offer to try and set those with your UBER tool! Haha!

In the meantime, I am going to take it for a ride and see what happens... will run another scan when i come back. Will update with status!!

~George
The HVAC and Door sensors are just that, and will probably have to be replaced. I doubt they have anything to do with the shifting,

What you want to watch for are the Trans codes after you drive it a bit. Then do a Google Search and see what comes up on them.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I re-borrowed that cable and am in the car now trying to figure out how to clear everything. Haha. I guess we will see.

Yes, I am actually right on the line, of Woodinville/Bothell WA. 240th St SE & 45th Ave SE, In Olympic Ridge. Geez, if you could help that would be absolutely amazing. Perhaps an evening this week??

~George
Check here once you have something pinned down...

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Grey
Old 11-12-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sswari
The HVAC and Door sensors are just that, and will probably have to be replaced. I doubt they have anything to do with the shifting,

What you want to watch for are the Trans codes after you drive it a bit. Then do a Google Search and see what comes up on them.
Well, another update. Super confusing drive. I drove it for 20 minutes, fairly conservatively, after letting it idle at full operating temp in the garage for another 20 minutes. It was good and hot. It drove, handled, shifted, downshifted and acted like a brand new car. It was perfect, and was very happy I made the purchase... I mean, it was perfect. As I was about to drive it home, I decided to go right instead of straight and really hammer the throttle through a couple gears (3rd & 4th). By the time I got to the very next light, it was downshifting wonky again. I drove it around the long way about 3-4 miles and 4-5 stops, and it was downshifting and upshifting 1-3 gear very rough again. Pulled it into the garage, and it would hesitate again 3-4 seconds when shifting into Reverse then 'THUMP' into gear. Super, super confusing. Of noteworthy mention, is that prior to pulling into my driveway I stopped the car on the other end of my subdivision's circle and shut it off for 10 seconds and re-start. Once I did that, it did shift a little better- but the thumping was still much more pronounced than the first 20 minutes of driving without question.

My laptop and VagCom was running the whole time so I scanned codes. seemed clear as a bell. All good- Although, another 'lean' code popped up which is irritating me since I replaced both MAFs already. I cleared it. Went to transmission, and nothing. BUT, for giggles, I put it into reverse & drive a couple times to see how it was behaving, and that thumping was still there. Re-ran diagnostic, and sure as it rains all winter in the Pacific Northwest; there was a tranny code:

Sunday,12,November,2017,20:13:20:61691
VCDS Version: Release 17.8.0 (x64) Running on Windows 10 x64
Ross-Tech: Home

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09D-927-750.LBL
Control Module Part Number: 09D 927 750 FQ HW: 09D 927 750 FQ
Component and/or Version: AL 750 6A 0999
Software Coding: 0000504
Work Shop Code: WSC 31414 790 00001
VCID: 02008CB65DFFEA569C-8056
1 Fault Found:

17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring
P0730 - 003 - Incorrect Gear Ratio

SO- I am still not sure if something is broken, or, if #Raj99 is correct and the adaptive reset needs to happen. either way, I am open to trying it Raj99!! I'm sure giving it a go costs less than what a shop would!!

Also- the HEX+CAN wouldn't allow me to do anything with the "Adaptation". The entire box was greyed out

Back to square 1.

Last edited by George Trudeau; 11-12-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Check here once you have something pinned down...

Ross-Tech Wiki

Grey
Thanks!! This was helpful... I found this:

17114/P0730/001840 - Gear Ratio Monitoring: Incorrect Gear Ratio

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

• Transmission Fluid contaminated
  • Transmission faulty (Mechanical Problem)

Possible Solutions

• Check Transmission Fluid (Color and Contamination)
    • Replace Transmission Fluid when necessary
  • Check Transmission Mechanics

So based off of that- The cooler makes sense. It was AWESOME until I stomped on it. Maybe it's getting too hot??

I mean guys, this thing was amazing- PERFECT for 20 minutes of driving until I hammered it once for 4-5 seconds. I wouldn't think the transmission was toast if it was acting so good beforehand!

Frustrated. And, I know a mechanic will tell me to replace the whole transmission.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sswari
Most of those codes are not even engine related, and the ones that are, do not seem to be that serious.

The one I would be looking at is the Transmission Code for gear ratios.

Clear the codes one at a time, with the particular controller.

Some of them my come right back, I have a parking assistant error that will not clear, because it is a short to ground.

Good Luck
You are definitely right. The HVAC & door codes came back immediately. I can live with those. I hear a strange clunking cycling periodically under the dash and in the back too, I am assuming thats the HVAC faults. Heat & AC are working so I couldn't care much less about those right now!

The gear ratio one did pop back (see my last update). This, REALLY concerns me.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues - Help! :(