Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TSB for 07 Q7 Sunroof drain (leak into electrics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WATER INGRESS CLASS ACTION

Today I got a legal document in the mail about a class action settlement for leaking sunroofs. I thought it might have been on my 2007 Q7 but after reading is it is is on my 1998 A6 I used to own. It includes certain vins on 1997-2006 A4s and 1998-2005 A6s. Audi is proposing to reimburse people and has increased the scheduled maintenance for cleaning the sunroof drain system and plenum area to 40,000 miles or 2 years which ever comes first. Has anyone seen any changes on the Q7? Is there a maintenance interval on the q7?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by microcosm
Hello All,

I am looking to buy a CPO 07 Q7 and am trying to research more about the sunroof leak issue. Is it something that is easily preventable by a dealer modification? How can I tell if this work has been performed? Most of the cars I have been reviewing are outside of the VIN range. Will they still do the modification?
Just being outside of the VIN range doesn't ensure that it's trouble free. I was outside the VIN range and still had the rear drains leak on the amp in the right rear corner.

The good thing seems that they followed the TSB even though it was outside the VIN range.

John.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for this info, this forum is great. Unfortunately my dealer and Audi did not care at all with my Q7 and after requesting replacing them, it was not done until I was out of warranty and got leak in each of them with electrical damage.
DO NOT BUY AUDI IN THE FUTURE, that is the best TSB advise you can get
Old 08-21-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This issue is beyond insane... To think any vehicle whether a Kia or an Audi would need basic owners maintenance to clean out sunroof drains at owners cost is assanine. I am having trouble finding the link to the the drain cleanout/pic etc. Can someone provide the link? thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
This issue is beyond insane... To think any vehicle whether a Kia or an Audi would need basic owners maintenance to clean out sunroof drains at owners cost is assanine. I am having trouble finding the link to the the drain cleanout/pic etc. Can someone provide the link? thanks
Just you may feel a little better. BMW did the same thing with 2003-2008 Z4's. The drains for the roof can become clogged if the car is under trees, etc. and water will damage the hydraulic pump which raises and lowers the roof. Originally the pump had no protection from water. In 2006 they put a plastic bag around it to help, but it still has issues if flooded. BMW will deny claims if the drains are found to be clogged, but there is no stated service interval for cleaning the drains.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Matt what does the TSB mean? I have a q7 within the vin stats. my car in in the shop now, my sunroof drains apparently r broken in the rear, which took out my amp, & mmi unit, total cost to fix everything & clean & replace drains is over $3000.00 my ext warranty wont cover it either, saying that it is a maintenance issue.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by carrienmarc
Matt what does the TSB mean? I have a q7 within the vin stats. my car in in the shop now, my sunroof drains apparently r broken in the rear, which took out my amp, & mmi unit, total cost to fix everything & clean & replace drains is over $3000.00 my ext warranty wont cover it either, saying that it is a maintenance issue.
TSB= Technical Service Bulletin. This is a document released by a manufacturer when a defect is found with instructions on how to repair it. Inside of the OEM warranty - if you describe the symptoms listed in the TSB as happening in your car, they will usually carry out whatever repairs are listed. Once you are out of warranty it is completely up to Audi as to whether, or not to goodwill the repair. IMO you should be getting a goodwill repair as the defect is known and should have been addressed earlier. This is the problem with a TSB vs a Recall. Recall means all cars get it done(like the coil pack issue was handled). TSB's are simply done on an as needed basis.

If you have not done so already, ask for a District Service Manager to review your case and see if AoA will cover it for free.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default R You Kidding Me

So I purchase a 2007 Q7 with the expectation of it out living the 2002 Jeep Liberty that made it 180,000 miles I replaced. Here I am with the same issue all on this board are reporting and apparently nothing is being done about it. I have an extended Warranty that I need to confirm coverage, but it doesn't sound promising. I live in Massachusetts and have owned the car for less than 30 days so any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Good luck

Originally Posted by NewAudiZack
So I purchase a 2007 Q7 with the expectation of it out living the 2002 Jeep Liberty that made it 180,000 miles I replaced. Here I am with the same issue all on this board are reporting and apparently nothing is being done about it. I have an extended Warranty that I need to confirm coverage, but it doesn't sound promising. I live in Massachusetts and have owned the car for less than 30 days so any advise would be appreciated.
I knew about this TSB before my 2007 Q7 was out of warranty and demanded the drains to be replaced and of course was not done by dealer. After a few months I got a leak in the front passenger side, then in the driver side and finally in July major leak in the back with damage to the amplifier. Each time I demanded the other drains to be checked/fixed. I had to pay for everything except the amplifier. I have owned BMWs and I am not saying they are perfect, but when TSBs were issued they have taken care of them and avoided future damage. I am still dealing with possible leak since a few weeks ago there was a loud pop and lost of sound under heavy rain, sound came back and dealer did not find anything wrong.
Call Audi NA and see if you get anything from them.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NewAudiZack
So I purchase a 2007 Q7. [...]
Here I am with the same issue all on this board are reporting and apparently nothing is being done about it.
[...]
I live in Massachusetts and have owned the car for less than 30 days so any advise would be appreciated.
My honest advice would be: give the car back and my a 2008 (or later) Q7. This will solve you sunroof issue at all.

As we learned in some other threads that your extended warranty wont cover the water damage cause by the leaking sunroof.

greetz from CT.

Quick Reply: TSB for 07 Q7 Sunroof drain (leak into electrics)