Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Valve cover & timing chain cover gaskets DIY replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve cover & timing chain cover gaskets DIY replacement?

Hey all, my '14 Q7 has begun leaking oil noticeably on the garage floor; not just some drops. Dealer has identified the cause as mostly the timing chain cover gasket, but also the valve cover gasket to a lesser extent. Price quote on replacement, mostly labor, is upwards of $1300, with the bulk of that towards the timing chain cover gasket replacement. I've done minor work on the car, up to rotors/pads, but are either of these gaskets something a reasonably handy person could do at home, in not too long a time, or am I just asking for a horrible weekend trying to save some money and better off leaving it to the dealer?

Side note, vehicle is at 68k miles; if they're already digging in, are there proactive timing chain concerns that could be addressed at the same time?

Thanks
Old 11-05-2018, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have them check chain stretch on measure blocks. If out of spec replace. Should be fine though, that's baby mileage.
Not a quick job at all. hot up pipes, transmission, valve covers, flywheel, rear cover all come off. Full weekend job at home.

Replace the tensioner: there is a TSB for it.

Also are they 100% positive it is the timing cover gasket? It concerns me they say valve covers to a lesser extent...as if those leak, it will drip down along the back of the block pool around the timing cover/bellh9ousing then drip on the ground....clean and inspect the uppermost leaks first...verify again if the upper joints are leaking or not...

Last edited by Greg5OH; 11-05-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, will check into those. Think I'm just going to have the dealer do the work in this case though, not worth that much time and frustration. :-)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pdisme
Hey all, my '14 Q7 has begun leaking oil noticeably on the garage floor; not just some drops. Dealer has identified the cause as mostly the timing chain cover gasket, but also the valve cover gasket to a lesser extent. Price quote on replacement, mostly labor, is upwards of $1300, with the bulk of that towards the timing chain cover gasket replacement. I've done minor work on the car, up to rotors/pads, but are either of these gaskets something a reasonably handy person could do at home, in not too long a time, or am I just asking for a horrible weekend trying to save some money and better off leaving it to the dealer?

Side note, vehicle is at 68k miles; if they're already digging in, are there proactive timing chain concerns that could be addressed at the same time?

Thanks
Hello, I know it has been a while since your post, but I'm curious if you had the oil leak fixed and what it actually was? I took my 2011 Q7 TDI in for an oil leak and they told me it's the lower timing cover seal. The quote was $9k-$11k??? I understand the TDI needs the engine and trans dropped for this service, but this is ridiculously expensive even for a dealer...Thanks for any input.