Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

VW Settlement - What are you doing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Settlement - What are you doing?

I just got a settlement letter in the mail and went on line to see my options. They are offering a buy-back of $37,500 plus an additional settlement of $5,700. Thats roughly $43,000 for a 2011 Q7 TDI and I only paid $30,000 for it. I'd be silly not to take advantage of $13,000 of free money.

I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer to see if I can score a deal on a newer model. Maybe i'll get a little credit for sticking with the brand.

The problem is, I don't think Audi has offered TDI models since the scandal... I would really like to stick with diesel.

I'm curious what others are doing.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I gave back my Golf and bought a 2014 Q7 because I didnt want to give up diesel.. mebe you can upgrade to a newer year?

Otherwords give up diesel and go get something else.. the TDI wont be coming back, ever.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the settlement still going on? Ive been looking at a 2012 TDI Q7, what would happen if I bought it?
Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting question as I recently looked a bit into that when a 2014 A7 TDI was on the market in Oregon. I called the 800 number to ask if a claim had been filed on the car but they would not tell me. I posted the question on the Q5 board as that has had much more activity regarding TDI and the answer I got was pretty unspecific which is due to not knowing if a claim had been filed. I don't remember the numbers but check out the Huge TDI thread over there and start looking from the latest post then going backward, it will not be too far back as this was very recent.

The TDI is amazing in whatever car it is in. If you really like the car and it is a fair price just go for it. Love my 2015 Q7 TDI, didn't bite on the 2014 A7 TDI but instead found a 2015 S7 which is way more fun.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by matt94gt
Is the settlement still going on? Ive been looking at a 2012 TDI Q7, what would happen if I bought it?
Everything is different in Canada, here in the US there are buybacks for those and given VW is offering more than the markets are they basically vanished entirely for purchase.. perhaps after they fix em, but right this moment is the worst time to want a pre 2013 Q7 w/the intentions of keeping it.. Profiteers are grabbing em right out of auction and turning em in w/out ever letting em hit the used lot.. This is happening to the Gen2's aswell but to a much lesser extent.

The Settlement just started on July 1st for Gen1 3.0L TDI's; Gen2's are still waiting a fix thats supposed to come in a couple months.

Since early May you can input a VIN number for a US 3.0L TDI into the claims portal and see what settlement it qualifies for, once the deadline for previous owners to register passed.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-05-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What am I doing? Well, I'm being held hostage with my 2013 Q7 TDI while I wait for the second half of my payout. In the meantime, I'm finding that my vehicle is worth $26k-$29k (trade-in vs private party), THOUSANDS less than owners of 2012s are getting for their buyback, even when factoring in the payout. Not more Audis (or VW) for me, ever.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Everything is different in Canada, here in the US there are buybacks for those and given VW is offering more than the markets are they basically vanished entirely for purchase.. perhaps after they fix em, but right this moment is the worst time to want a pre 2013 Q7 w/the intentions of keeping it.. Profiteers are grabbing em right out of auction and turning em in w/out ever letting em hit the used lot.. This is happening to the Gen2's aswell but to a much lesser extent.

The Settlement just started on July 1st for Gen1 3.0L TDI's; Gen2's are still waiting a fix thats supposed to come in a couple months.

Since early May you can input a VIN number for a US 3.0L TDI into the claims portal and see what settlement it qualifies for, once the deadline for previous owners to register passed.
Thanks. Yes there very hard to find here too. I have found some 2011/2012 for fairly cheap. Maybe they live under a rock and don't know about the settlement?

should I just stay clear of TDIs or wait a year to see what happens? I really want one and don't want to miss the boat (if there all bought back) but I suppose the 2013+ are safe from the buy back?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I really doubt many of these vehicles will head to the crusher with the high resale value, I'd expect the turned in Gen1s to be fixed and resold after the fix is released and they have burned through the few people who opted to fix instead of buyback.

The schedule I saw a few months ago indicated they would not be submitting a fix for Gen1 3.0L until AFTER the fix for Gen2 3.0L has been approved and released.

If a Gen2 is too rich for your blood right now, I think waiting would be your best option and trying to score a fixed Gen1 w/no settlement payout.. VW Dont want to pay for storage on these things indefinitely, they are preparing right now to start fixing Gen1 2.0L buybakcks and flooding the market with 2.0L TDI's.. I'd think prices would be pretty good once the market starts reaching saturation from the hundreds of thousands of 2.0L's

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-10-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was thinking of holding out for a Gen2. Also, I would want the 3.0 TDI, or I'd just go with the 3.0T.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I should be picking up a 2013 61k mile prestige fully loaded minus tow package next weekend. Deposit and contract is signed.
Just learned that there is an ADDITIONAL 1500$ from bosch for these gen 2 q7s? wow..what a deal.
Audi dealer did the 65k mile service on it already new tires, brake flush and 4 wheel alignment. Needless to say, cant wait to pick it up!
8200+1500...that is an awesome discount.

Quick Reply: VW Settlement - What are you doing?