Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

water noise in the trunk door

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bspurloc
Where is your water?
Open the rear hatch and remove the floor and the next layer to see the spare tire.
If that area is wet in there your sunroof drains are leaking. and pathetic if Audi is still using the drain hose glued to outside of drain tube method instead of drain hose funneled into drain tube.
Mine had about 20 gallons of water in it. I made a video and a post how to fix it.
Thank you for your reply. I checked the spare tire area and it is dry. So I am guessing the water is not leaking from the sunroof drain hose. I was able to remove the plug that is located at the base of the hatch and drain the water. I have to still find the cause of this issue. Took it to a local dealer and he quoted 295 to diagnose it. Fix will be additional. I suspect the weatherstripping between the tailgate glass and the spoiler may need to be replaced. Hopefully its easy to change that myself.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Aat167
Thank you for your reply. I checked the spare tire area and it is dry. So I am guessing the water is not leaking from the sunroof drain hose. I was able to remove the plug that is located at the base of the hatch and drain the water. I have to still find the cause of this issue. Took it to a local dealer and he quoted 295 to diagnose it. Fix will be additional. I suspect the weatherstripping between the tailgate glass and the spoiler may need to be replaced. Hopefully its easy to change that myself.
Yeah sounds like weather stripping either on the window or the top of the hatch. although I dont think its likely there are holes at the top so most likely the window.
I dont like how the original person was told by the dealer that it was normal...
You could just use a hose and run water onto the window and see if it fills into the door,
Old 08-22-2022, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Aat167
Hi there I currently have the water in wheel well issue, however it does not have a sunroof therefore does it still have drains? Or is there any other reason for this to be happening ?

Nothing obvious

Please help
Old 08-23-2022, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 727 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer07
Hi there I currently have the water in wheel well issue, however it does not have a sunroof therefore does it still have drains? Or is there any other reason for this to be happening ?

Nothing obvious

Please help
You've got rear A/C condenser mounted in the left rear of cargo bay (adjacent to the 3rd row seating) just like everybody else, right? The rear condensate drain tube that drips just behind the left rear tire can get blocked up or perhaps damaged where it passes through to the exterior, similar to what the front condenser's condensate drain is well known for, and the water runoff /backlog has to go somewhere, then you've got a kiddie-pool in your spare-tire well, or a ruined amplifier for your stereo and related MMI problems, etc., etc. Probs be good idea to put a dessicant pack back there to dry it out completely once you've mopped up as much as possible.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 08-23-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
You've got rear A/C condenser mounted in the left rear of cargo bay (adjacent to the 3rd row seating) just like everybody else, right? The rear condensate drain tube that drips just behind the left rear tire can get blocked up or perhaps damaged where it passes through to the exterior, similar to what the front condenser's condensate drain is well known for, and the water runoff /backlog has to go somewhere, then you've got a kiddie-pool in your spare-tire well, or a ruined amplifier for your stereo and related MMI problems, etc., etc. Probs be good idea to put a dessicant pack back there to dry it out completely once you've mopped up as much as possible.
Hi there thank you for your reply, I have been unable to locate the rear AC drain as of yet.

I have attached a photo of some white plugs at the of the spare wheel boot which look to have water seeping from all 4.
Do you know what these are?
Thanks again 👍
Old 08-25-2022, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 727 Likes on 602 Posts

Water that is backed up in a confined space is going to find the path of least resistance to escape. Get under the car with a good strong light/torch at the left rear corner just behind the rear wheel arch and find your clogged drain hose/outlet. Use a pick or probe tool to unclog the blockage in the line and that backlog of water off the rear A/C condenser unit should flow right out. You may find it useful to jack up the car a bit on that rear corner and get some good lighting to help you identify the drainage hose outlet...it's basically just behind that tire opening and a few inches inboard. Normally the drip pattern from that rear drain falls within 6" behind the tire and also roughly the same distance from the exterior sheet metal.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 08-25-2022 at 07:22 PM.