Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Dash Camera installing

Old 01-21-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash Camera installing

Hi All,

I want to install front and back dash cam installation, I asked some local shop and they are scared to touch Audi because of all the airbags and etc... right now I have only front camera and which is using the front 12v port. Actually it will be nice to hide all those wires. Do you have any recommendation, can we do it our self ?. Or if any one live in Surrey Canada know any shops do this ?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't have one myself yet but another member recommended the Owl camera (google it!). To my knowledge, install is pretty easy and a DIY-job. Granted, it's not a true"rear' camera but it records the interior as well as the front view - as far as I know.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm the guy that praises the Owl Camera. The thing it great. I'll find my favorite video and put it here. If you get one of these, there is no rear camera. I wish there was. It does take two videos. One of the inside and one of the outside. But not a true rear view. The Owl hooks into the OBD port and is always on, even if the car is off. Then it sends videos to your phone and you can recall up to two weeks of video if you want and then 'share' them to wherever you want.

https://owlcam.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobCh...SAAEgK_nfD_BwE

Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ah nice .. thank you ..
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I've done a few cams (and other things) for our cars over the years. For Q7 I recently got the following:
Amazon Amazon

and hardwired it to the fuse box and all wires are hidden. Sorry, photos are not very good (dirty car just got home in snowy weather).
The front camera quality is good but the rear camera is bad. I noticed it only after installation was done. I did this along with the brake controller for trailer (so opened up the side of the dash only once).

Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

I had a local shop install an Audi Universal Traffic Recorder, purchased from an Audi dealer in UK. Works great, and if you search for it here are online manuals for installation (our cars are mostly prewired for it). Genuine Audi Universal Traffic Recorder Dash Cam UTR - Front & Rear 4G0063511F/H https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F40 1691517548
Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There are mirror tap options available to get power from mirror wiring for clean install, I tapped it to switched fuse, because there is no constant fuse on foot rest fuse box, but main problem is that camera shuts off for a second when the auto start stop is activated, not when car shuts off but when the car restarts. I could not find a way to beat that. It's annoying, the whole auto start/stop is extremely annoying.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dohturdima
I had a local shop install an Audi Universal Traffic Recorder, purchased from an Audi dealer in UK. Works great, and if you search for it here are online manuals for installation (our cars are mostly prewired for it). Genuine Audi Universal Traffic Recorder Dash Cam UTR - Front & Rear 4G0063511F/H https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401691517548
I didn't know that they have a system already exists and that looks promising ..
Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by achayan
I didn't know that they have a system already exists and that looks promising ..
It works great, and is pretty well integrated with The Audi UTR app that can be downloaded from a UK app store.

Here's the link to the thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mkii-discussion-211/dashcam-installation-2935314/page17/
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why can't we just record the four cameras that are already installed in the car? !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Camera installing