Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Homelink

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homelink

Hi-

Please let me know if I'm missing something but it appears that my Homelink linked to my garage door opener only works if the ignition is on? Every time I park my Q7 back into my garage, I turn off the ignition but then I am unable to use my Homelink to close my garage door. I have to remember to press the Homelink first before turning off the car. Something I have to remember to do as this is different from my previous car (Homelink worked without the ignition). Thanks!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by ajlee7
Hi-

Please let me know if I'm missing something but it appears that my Homelink linked to my garage door opener only works if the ignition is on? Every time I park my Q7 back into my garage, I turn off the ignition but then I am unable to use my Homelink to close my garage door. I have to remember to press the Homelink first before turning off the car. Something I have to remember to do as this is different from my previous car (Homelink worked without the ignition). Thanks!
Correct. Homelink only works in Audi models if ignition is on.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

I am final remembering to hitting the garage door button before I shut off the car. My last two cars sensed whether the key fob was in range of the car or not. One car I had would open the garage door even if the car was off and the key was nowhere in the area. I parked that car in the driveway and did not thing that was safe.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Since it's not natural for me to close the garage door while the car is still running, I will use the garage door remote opener. This defeats the purpose of Homelink but at least I can close the garage door in the winter while I'm still in the car.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 PM
mbr
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-

Homelink only works with the ignition on. This is a safety feature and if homelink was always hot, I would not use it. It is designed to open your garage when you come home and close it when you leave. If the homelink is always hot, and the car is parked in your driveway, all someone has to do is break a window, press the homelink and has direct access to your house.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mbr
Homelink only works with the ignition on. This is a safety feature and if homelink was always hot, I would not use it. It is designed to open your garage when you come home and close it when you leave. If the homelink is always hot, and the car is parked in your driveway, all someone has to do is break a window, press the homelink and has direct access to your house.
That's a good point! Q7 is low risk because it's rarely parked outside but my other car is higher risk because it is outside. I never thought of this. Would be nice if Homelink can be hot for 1 min after ignition shut off and cold afterwards. Anyway, not a big issue thanks all!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks. Since it's not natural for me to close the garage door while the car is still running, I will use the garage door remote opener. This defeats the purpose of Homelink but at least I can close the garage door in the winter while I'm still in the car.
You don't have a wall mounted button to open/close?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Force-1
You don't have a wall mounted button to open/close?
Hi I do have a wall mounted. It's just something I'm used to especially during the winter here in NY with 3 kids. I rather drive into my garage, turn off ignition, close the garage door and then my family gets out of car so they don't get too cold. I know, it's a peculiar but just habit!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi I do have a wall mounted. It's just something I'm used to especially during the winter here in NY with 3 kids. I rather drive into my garage, turn off ignition, close the garage door and then my family gets out of car so they don't get too cold. I know, it's a peculiar but just habit!
I'm with the OP for this point. BMW does the same, and it's a PITA. (That coupled with you need to hold the button down for close to 2 seconds for it to engage the opener. Hold it too much longer and the MMI switches to button reprogram mode).

I get the idea of killing power to it if the car is parked outside (but then you should lock your door to the house anyways if you're worried about people getting into your garage and then your house), but it's a PITA if you park inside all the time. Too bad they didn't offer the option to toggle the operation of power (or keep it powered for a minute afterwards -- that would be best!)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by mbr
With my Acura, the home-link button would work with the ignition off, but the key fob would have to be with you. Just like the door locks. That should solve any security issues.

Quick Reply: Homelink