RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Okay......lets do it.....DRC class action

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay......lets do it.....DRC class action

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. I recently bought a low mileage RS6 after a year long search. My car starting making that grinding/dragging/golf clubs in the trunk noise we are all familiar with. I know DRC does not descriminate as to mileage or car color.

I am an attorney in the Boston area and former prosecutor. I really want to pursue this matter and need the help of members to gather information. I know I don't have as many posts as other members and have not contributed to the the Audiworld community as much as others, but I have been a member for several years and have been monitoring the RS6 forum for the last two.

I currently own three S cars and an original UR. I am, as you all are, consumers AND enthusiasts of the Audi brand. I think Audi of America should hear directly from RS6 owners since the expense of replacing DRC properly is costly and its clearly a problem in design. I am aware of Audis own TSB that a few members have circulated around the forum so I will need a hard copy of that. I will also need all the DRC service records from current/prior owners. The multiple failures will be key.

I think thats a good starting point. I have read most of the threads and I am aware that some members sold their cars because of this problem. I wonder if anyone has figured out how many of the 860 cars Audi imported here were fixed within 4 years/50K miles.

Okay...I know this thread is going to receive a TON of hits. Please post your comments and suggestions or you can email me directly:

attyrobertiacovelli@yahoo.com

Attorney Robert Iacovelli
120 Main Street, Suite 2
Worcester, MA
508-795-1800
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Better post this on the RS4 Forum, too. And good luck.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Okay......lets do it.....DRC class action

Ok,

We have a winner here. I will start a thread over on RS6.com. There is a huge crowd over there and some current 1st owners that are having problems right now as well.

I agree to include the RS4 folks. This will hit home with Audi USA as the RS4 has the same system and have the same problems.

Thanks
Dave Hall
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 AM

Default Hey Blooscloos. Great initiative here. I'm in.

My story has been posted here. Basically, leased the car with 36k miles and no issue. Inside of a year and within 2-3k miles the banging, clanging started. Took over a year and many MANY visits to Audi with no results, before I brought in Audi of America's customer help line before the dealer acknowledged it and tried several times to fix the DRC. The last fix worked for all of about 2 weeks and I've been too disgusted to bring it back. So, in the last 15 months I've only driven about ~600 miles, because I hate it.

It's a real shame, because I was planning on this being a keeper. Now, I can't get rid of it fast enough.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm in if you're in like the rest of us (pro-bono/minimal fees)

Frankly, I'm not interested in spending my time where the attorney gets 1/3 (or more) of the deal and we get a voucher for a free car wash from the dealer.

If you're on the up and up and in it as an enthusiast, I'll pitch in. It seems fair for the reparations/damages to be the cost of the average coil over replacement ($2-3k). If it were just special shocks that needed replacing after 40k miles I wouldn't bitch, but the system precludes a simple swap (unless I am misguided on that, someone jump in if so).

I'm currently replacing mine at under 40k miles due to major seepage. I am told the prior 24k miles were babied and the system was never stressed to the levels I put it through in everyday driving.

My RS6 U.S. VIN list (I hijacked it from DaveyKid) can track this but is less than complete on that subject, only shows about 10 so far out of 344. Recent forum polls have the number unscientifically around 50%.

Clearly there are lots of questions to be answered but I'm sure you'll get to them in due time. (Who qualifies? Mileage limits? Damages sought? etc.)

Keep us posted with progress. I'm sure you've got lots of ears perked up at this point.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I am in. I have posted previously. My DRC has failed four times in less than 1000 miles.

and I think it has failed again. I bought my car with 28K miles on it and it had a failed DRC at the time of purchase that the seller was not aware of. He has two other audis including an RS4 and had just had the RS6 check out in Scottsdale and the audi dealer did not catch that the DRC had failed. He believes it had been shot for a year or two but he did not know how the care was supposed to feel. This is my 2nd RS6 so I knew right when I drove it the suspension was not right. Let's go on this. My car now has 33K miles on it and I need to bring it back in because there are symptoms once again. (The seller paid the my Albuquerque Audi dealer $6K to replace the DRC).
Plus, I am pretty well politically connected and could get a US Senator or two involved if we need to apply pressure on DOT.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 AM

I sold my RS6 because of a fear of returning failures. I had my DRC fail, but got insurance to pay. I'm tired of Audi not standing behind design flaws, but still like the cars. I bought an S6 to avoid DRC.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm in. Thanks. BTW there were approx 1200 RS6's imported here..

A poll on RS246.com showed over 75% of owners have suffered DRC failures. Personally, I have had 28 faulty shocks and 16 central valves replaced under warranty in 53000 miles. The car has been in no less than 10 times for this sole reason. Whatever you need.. I really hope you can follow thru with this..
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've experienced it, plus 2 failed repairs, f/b aftermarket install. What do you need from us?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Robert,

I think I was the original DRC poster boy.
My car was leaking out of the rear valve on the day they delivered it.

Well Documented.

They (Audi USA) asked for an opportunity to fix the car as I was demanding my money back or a new car, (Which they could not deliver as they were out of production) As I afforded them the opportunity to fix it, I went beyond the 1 yr. Lemon Law Statute - which I think they were trying to do. My DRC lasts about 8-10K on every repair. They have never been able to fix it.

I will send you an email.

John

Quick Reply: Okay......lets do it.....DRC class action