RS 6 Discussion (C5) Discussion forum for the Audi RS 6 C5 platform

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

My 03 RS6's transmission started to act up.

The car is put in drive, but the car feels like it's not engaged, almost like a manual car with the clutch worn out. The indicator on the dashboard is completely in red, instead of showing that it is in "D" for drive. Once I shut off the car and restart, everything is back to normal. This has happened twice in the last month.

In addition to the above, another glitch. The car does not want to upshift. It just stays in 1st gear. I try manually upshifting, but does not respond. Immediately park the car and restart, the car comes back to normal.

I don't think it's a mechanical thing, but more so of an electrical problem. Any thoughts?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds electrical to me. Mechanical you would know as it would be slipping and banging into gears,

had mine fail so that i do know. Nothing occurred on my dash display which tells me you have something else going on with the display all red. Also my car threw a CEL once the torque converter and tranny were really ready to die. Once it starts to fail it never gets better so the fact your car resets and seems fine in another tell.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like the torque converter is gone. Common failure in these cars..

Any codes?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Change fluid and filter as first step...

I was told my tranny was shot at first due to the PRNDL lighting up all red. It was also slipping. A fluid and filter change resolved my issue and it has performed great for the past 6 months.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what...i've ONLY had 2 of them : )

That almost makes it reliable in RS6 land.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Change fluid and filter as first step...

Ok. I'll change the fluid and filter and see where that leads me..

I don't know about the codes. Have not checked, yet.

BTW, I bought the car earlier this year with 40K miles on it. The car had the transmission replaced under warranty approximately 2 years ago, when it was at about 30k miles.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default When you drain fluid check for metal fragments or pieces

as that would indicate a more serious problem if found. That was the advice I was provided and fortunately no metal was found in the drained fluid.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: Sounds electrical to me. Mechanical you would know as it would be slipping and banging into gea

I hope it's a minor electrical problem. Anyway, I'm gonna change the fluid and filter as process of elimination. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

Can't hurt to do the oil and filter. There is 3 magnets in the oil pan to clean.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Common? I've only seen a handfull postings about this...Please don't tell me it's becoming common...

Had my transmission serviced at about 68,000 miles when it was LEAKING....YIKES... Seal was leaking, but no damage. I thought it was part of the 75000 mile service, so I told them about it at the RS6 dealership so they would not duplicate (had it done at local non-RS6 Audi dealer), and they said it's not part of 75000 mile usual service.

Is the Torque Converter the weakest link in the transmission?

Mike

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem