RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Audi Track Day Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Track Day Video

The event was a freaking blast, if you live within 6 or 7 hours of Summit Point and have ever had an urge to get on a race track I suggest you do it next year.

This was my first time on a track, so it was definitely a bit scary at first. I kept it pretty conservative the entire time making sure to give my self plenty of space and not tailgate, which I think my instructor was thankful for. Once I began to get more comfortable I was able to focus on the lines and where I needed to be, learned a a lot about this car for sure. All laps were done with Traction and Stability Control full off. No matter what I did it stayed planted and well composed, I love this car.

Those Nexen N3000 tires were pretty sucky, after about 3 laps they were greasier than bacon. But for 170 bucks I guess I can't complain. I knew I was going to be eating the tires up trying to learn how to drive and they held up fine, so they get a pass for cheap first round track tires...I should get another 3 or 4 track days out of them before it's time to put some sticky rubber on this thing and see what it can do.

You'll notice I ran out of gas at the end...the RS4 literally goes through about 1/2 gallon or so a lap, maybe more. My gas light came on and 1.5 laps later I'm literally out of gas. I heard the motor miss, but I didn't realize it had cut off completely until my instructor said something.

Video is in 720p if you change the settings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y6fc...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOVE IT! You did a good job...great tips from your instructor as well.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'M SO JEALOUS! ... Hopefully today I get my car back so I can begin my 750 misery filled miles of break-in. That C63 is disgusting! Were you even letting off the gas to let him by?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks Like Fun! I won't miss the next one...funny running out of gas at the end....did you ever get to run without the instructor?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gibsonl
I'M SO JEALOUS! ... Hopefully today I get my car back so I can begin my 750 misery filled miles of break-in. That C63 is disgusting! Were you even letting off the gas to let him by?

Gibson what are you breaking in? New clutch? My tech told me to just go drive the car, keep out of redline.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Since I destroyed my pressue plate I went with the JHM Stage 4 lw clutch and flywheel. Also did the master and metal slave cylinder since they have been known to go. Hopefully I never lose the pedal at 100+ again. Had I figured it out a few seconds later while in turn 10 it woulda got UGLY!!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely letting off the gas for the C63 to pass. The low end torque pulls that thing out of corners really nicely. There is one clip where we come out of turn 10 pretty close to eachother and he pulls a good 3-4 car lenghs down that 1/2 mile. He had traction control on Sport mode the entire time, transmission shifting itself and allowing the car to always be on the edge of losing traction without actually losing it. He said it was amazing how he could just dive into corners and floor it and the car would just figure $hit out. With the traction control off I think it would have been a drift monster. He has H&R springs and as far as we know it's stock otherwise...but it's fast. He gets it back from the shop today from blowing out his rear end...hence the "Smoke Screen Mod" you see in that one clip.

I'm thinking about doing the Trackdaze event at the Summit Point Shenandoah circuit in May, just Sunday instead of the two day. I know it's a smaller track and the RS4 isn't known for being strong in those areas, but it still looks fun and will be a different experience. If anyone is interested let me know.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

You're on your own with Shenandoah! For that track you definitely want to try to be a little closer to the wheel so you don't have to reposition your hands in corners. There's so much cornering you may not have time. It looks like cars can get airbourne on that hump under the bridge on the straight if you have enough exit speed out that turn! .... I think my track plans right now for April and May are Summit Main April 6-7 with Prosche Club, VIR April 16 and 17 (since no one aside from BADRS4 seemed interested in VIR on May 5-6.) Trackdaze does let you sign up for 1 day which is pretty nice.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're on your own with Shenandoah! For that track you definitely want to try to be a little closer to the wheel so you don't have to reposition your hands in corners. There's so much cornering you may not have time. It looks like cars can get airbourne on that hump under the bridge on the straight if you have enough exit speed out that turn! .... I think my track plans right now for April and May are Summit Main April 6-7 with Prosche Club, VIR April 16 and 17 (since no one aside from BADRS4 seemed interested in VIR on May 5-6.) Trackdaze does let you sign up for 1 day which is pretty nice.

I might do VIR in April with the Audi group. I like that it's on a Mon/Tues.

I can't get any closer to the steering wheel...I'm built like a damn orangatang so it's either my legs are squished and I can't get to the brake/clutch or I'm far away and have to reach out to the wheel...I just make it work.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BADRS4
Looks Like Fun! I won't miss the next one...funny running out of gas at the end....did you ever get to run without the instructor?
No, it never even came up. I think I scared my instructor a bit becuase when I guess I went from super newb to being relatively quick for a first timer in a short period of time. I think he was worried I was getting overly confident and was going to make a mistake or try to push it too far. I think the car still had a lot to give honestly. So much damn fun!

Quick Reply: Audi Track Day Video