RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

power steering failure.....need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering failure.....need help

Posted this over at zine and thought I'd run it by you guys as well

Took a really hard corner today and later in the day when I went back to drive the car the power steering no longer works. Takes all my strength to turn tight corners at low speeds

When I start the car it actually works for a couple seconds and then cuts out. The fluid is at the max level. Any suggestions?????

Many thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a hunch but that happened to one of my cars once and I had to replace a check valve in which the orifice was plugged. That was a Corvette so not sure if the symptoms carry over but I'd say if its not leaking and the belt still turns the pulley, you've got a hydraulic problem. An obstruction in the flow path seems to make sense. At least to me
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Just a hunch but that happened to one of my cars once and I had to replace a check valve in which the orifice was plugged. That was a Corvette so not sure if the symptoms carry over but I'd say if its not leaking and the belt still turns the pulley, you've got a hydraulic problem. An obstruction in the flow path seems to make sense. At least to me
I think I narrowed it down to the servotronic relay going bad. To remove it do you simply pull it out or is it held in my clips?? Anyone know?

Many thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting this - as I checked my fluid and I am at the min level. My old B5 A4 leaked at a connector - this was a common issue with the PS systems on that car and I think it extends to the B6/7 models too
Old 05-06-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Reggie
Thanks for posting this - as I checked my fluid and I am at the min level. My old B5 A4 leaked at a connector - this was a common issue with the PS systems on that car and I think it extends to the B6/7 models too
Filled my reservoir slightly above max like the TSB states and my power steering is back, but my servotronic assist is still inactive. Not sure if my relay is shot or not. The connectors on our cars are not properly insulated and do go pretty often