RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Where to have Carbon buildup cleaned in Seattle/Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to have Carbon buildup cleaned in Seattle/Tacoma

Hey all,

I just purchased an RS4 Cabriolet with 30K miles. I purchased with the assumption that I'd need to have the Carbon buildup cleaned. Is there anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area (I'm in Gig Harbor) who does this? Even though I know it's not a warranty issue, I'd prefer a dealership. I've used Larson in Tacoma for previous Audis (an '08 S4 Avant 6MT and an '02 A6 2.7T 6MT), and for my current Porsche (Cayenne GTS 6MT); but I'd prefer to go to a dealership that does this routinely... Does anyone have experience with Larson, University or Barrier for this procedure? If so, were you happy with the results, and what was the approximate cost?

BTW - my car has a 'semi-permanent' CEL from (according to the seller)the Milltek exhaust... Might this be addressed by the Carbon cleanup?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the area as well and was looking into buying a bore scope to see how bad it is. I bought the car used at 18k miles and it seems plenty fast and pulls after 5500rpm, from what I read this is a ggod sign that mine is minimal. I think I am capable of doing this myself, I just did the piggie pipes got the cell because I didn't have the o2 spacers, will fix in a future exhaust mod. If the price is right by a reputable shop I would be interested as well.

Stewart
Old 09-23-2011, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Save your money on the boroscope. I've read literally dozens of U.S. RS4 owner reports, as well as opening mine up at around 30K miles, and it's unanimous. Intake manifold pulled off with as little as 5000 miles showed considerable carbon buildup on the intake valves. Another common mantra is the owner felt the car pulled plenty strong before the tear down, then after the operation, that same owner is flabbergasted at how much power the car gained (mine gained 30HP). It's exactly like a broken record (for those that are old enough to appreciate that saying.)

Just do it!
Attached Images  

Last edited by ELEVENS; 09-23-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Our best go-to in the area is Jason at AMD in Woodinville. He did my CC last August, and at the time commented they'd already done 10 or so. Plus he's only charging 500 these days. He might throw in a pre/post dyno run to show you your gains, if you're lucky...

Being in the south end, I also use Larson for all things Audi - and from talking to their reps & techs over my 3 years of ownership - they've worked on very few RS4s.

I'd doubt your CEL is related to the exhaust, btw.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Long drive for you, but I had mine done at Roger Jobs Audi in Bellingham. They did great and I couldn't complain about anything.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys,

I took the car to Larson yesterday and they say the CEL is due to a bad O2 sensor. They'll be replacing it under warranty next week. We'll see... Sadly, I'm convinced they 'dinged' my driver's side door with a tool during the visit. Long story, but it's a minor ding, and I'm fine with getting it repaired on my own. They absolutely did not come forward with this and they'll probably deny it happened. I left the dealership without discussing it with them as I knew it would just be a 'he said, she said' scene.. which no one wins. Once they change out the O2 sensor I'll take the car to AMD or Roger Jobs... Or maybe to University, as their service scheduler claimed their techs have done it many times...

Anyway, I'm happy to hear there are some options in the area.

Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Further to this...

So Larson changed out the O2 Sensor (and repaired the ding in the door), and the CEL was dark for nearly 24 hours! The next morning it was illuminated again, so I'm taking it back again tomorrow. The service manager in charge of my vehicle is very accommodating, but does not seem at all interested in acknowledging (or even discussing, although I've sent him links to several carbon buildup articles) any issue with carbon build up. Once the latest CEL is diagnosed I'll be taking it to either Jason or University Audi for a cleaning.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RCGigHarbor
So Larson changed out the O2 Sensor (and repaired the ding in the door), and the CEL was dark for nearly 24 hours! The next morning it was illuminated again, so I'm taking it back again tomorrow. The service manager in charge of my vehicle is very accommodating, but does not seem at all interested in acknowledging (or even discussing, although I've sent him links to several carbon buildup articles) any issue with carbon build up. Once the latest CEL is diagnosed I'll be taking it to either Jason or University Audi for a cleaning.
I brought my car into Barrier last week after discussing a carbon clean. They discovered that it had some cold start issues and they pulled the intake and did a carbon clean under the original factory warranty. I was working with Dan.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow - thanks! I'll give Dan a call.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Carbon Clean

Originally Posted by clarkej
I brought my car into Barrier last week after discussing a carbon clean. They discovered that it had some cold start issues and they pulled the intake and did a carbon clean under the original factory warranty. I was working with Dan.
Do you mind if I ask, is there a dramatic difference in power/performance pre- and post- cleaning?

Quick Reply: Where to have Carbon buildup cleaned in Seattle/Tacoma