S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

audi s4 b6 engine shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audi s4 b6 engine shaking

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on my b6 s4, she has 126000 miles, is a 6 speed and recently i have been experiencing intermitted shaking. generally after a long drive after downshifting it starts to shake but only above certain rps (today was 2700) . The shaking feels like a misfire or the timing of the engine being off. we have checked the clutch, we changed the coil packs, spark plugs and fuel filter. any suggestions on what it could be? my dealer has no idea and ive tried about three different shops without success. after a few hours the problem goes away making it difficult to diagnose because if i wait to take it to the shop overnight the problem has sorted itself out overnight. Please Help!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Timing chain guide? From what I've read that's the weakest link.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gotta have deep pockets for that one.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If all other components have been changed i regrettably have to believe it is a timing issue. Any engine codes? Thinking it might be one of the cam adjusters
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by joeycuccaro
If all other components have been changed i regrettably have to believe it is a timing issue. Any engine codes? Thinking it might be one of the cam adjusters
There are no codes bieng thrown, we cleaned the sensors and checked the timing, my shop guy thinks it may be the flywheel , witch coincides with another post i have read here on audi world, ill call him and ask about the timing chain guide. its certainly an engine timing issue, thanks for the responses ill let you all know what we fix and if it works
Old 03-02-2013, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My pockets are luckily deep enough
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If anyone knows a good shop in CT thats is not the wallingford audi guys(their idiots) please let me know
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tyzuse9
If anyone knows a good shop in CT thats is not the wallingford audi guys(their idiots) please let me know
Two really good shops I know of in CT are -

1: Coventry Motorcars in Coventry

2: NorthBay Imports in East Windsor.

Those are the only 2 places I bring my car to.
I have also heard good things about ICS Performance out of Stamford and Excelerate Performance out of Branford but I don't have any first hand experience with them.

Last edited by Tillse7en; 03-05-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tyzuse9
There are no codes bieng thrown, we cleaned the sensors and checked the timing, my shop guy thinks it may be the flywheel , witch coincides with another post i have read here on audi world, ill call him and ask about the timing chain guide. its certainly an engine timing issue, thanks for the responses ill let you all know what we fix and if it works
My problem with my B6 was that the Transmission housing had cracked and it was a fault by the manufacturer. The stock housing couldn't hold up against the torque of the engine. No codes, nothing visible, til they took down the transmission and along the entire upside of the bell housing was a huge crack that ran around it. Subsequently,the shaking had caused me to also blow my motor mounts. I also had to replace the dual mass flywheel and the clutch. It cost me abound 9 thousand dollars for the repair. True Story.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tillse7en
Two really good shops I know of in CT are -

1: Coventry Motorcars in Coventry

2: NorthBay Imports in East Windsor.

Those are the only 2 places I bring my car to.
I have also heard good things about ICS Performance out of Stamford and Excelerate Performance out of Branford but I don't have any first hand experience with them.
i bought the car at coventry and when they replaced the spark plugs they left 2 of the used ones in the engine just sitting there, i'm not so sure if i trust your response.

Quick Reply: audi s4 b6 engine shaking