S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

'11 B8 S4 DSG vs 6MT APR Stage 2... Dyno Dynamics @ Elite Motorsports Dyno Day

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '11 B8 S4 DSG vs 6MT APR Stage 2... Dyno Dynamics @ Elite Motorsports Dyno Day

So I'm sure you guys have been following our threads as far as bolt-ons and progression using the same dyno @ No Limit Motorsports (Dyno Dynamics).

Old threads..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ics?highlight=

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Day?highlight=

So today we held a Dyno Day with Elite Motorsports in Medford, NY. The Dyno used was a Dyno Dynamics Dyno. It was a fun event and a few Audi’s showed up to dyno.

Dyno Facility: No Limit Motorsports
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics. Dyno Dynamics Dynos feature an electronic load system, able to simulate real life driving, instead of spinning rollers to get a number. They tend to show lower numbers than the Dynojet and Mustang Dynos.
Temperature was 55 degrees today.
4th gear pulls for all 3 runs for each car.

Got to meet another fellow Audiziner (NJAUDI1) who came over from NJ. His setup is a 2011 S4 with 6MT- APR Stage II 93 tune, APR intake, Milltek catback non resonated system. Ben is a really cool dude and we had some good laughs today. Thanks for coming out Ben.

Ben's numbers- 373 HP/ 378 TQ

I decided to run the 100 octane file knowing that John, Ben and (Apexit (Luis) and RichiB- who it turns out couldn't make) it were going to be running the 93 files and we didn't really have that much difference in mods besides the exhaust/exhaust setups.

Trinacria's car - 2011 DSG, APR Stage II on 93 File, K&N/airbox mod, stock exhaust
My car- 2011 6MT, APR Stage II on 100 File, AWE tuning intake, stock exhaust

This could also show the difference between John and myself with the difference only being the program file (93 vs 100). We have dynoed consistently within 1 HP of each other in the past so the idea was for the concept to continue with the pulley and see if 100 made that much difference.

Unfortunately John's car wasn't too happy to be on the dyno today for some reason we couldn't figure out. I have driven and data logged his car many times with the new setup and we are running very similar vag com data. The DSG feels incredible with that power and shifting.

John's numbers were 362 HP/ 347 TQ.

My numbers were 408 HP/ 401 TQ on the 100 Octane File. The dyno operator said he saw 16 PSI spikes on my boost gauge during the runs.

Below is my dyno sheet. Red run is my APR 93 Stage I/Awe tuning intake run. The Blue was my run today. Talk about DELTA.

I have been doing extensive logging with both programs.. very smooth and timing/boost/MAF values look great.

Here is my stock dyno.. 310.5 HP/323 TQ. Quick glance at the delta of stock vs Stage II/100 tune.. LOL. I am going back next week to have him overlay all 3 runs. I wish he had taken the stock run to redline.

Some other notable cars that dynoed today..

TonyRS4 - 2007 RS4, freshly carbon cleaned, K&N/airbox mod, H pipe, resonator delete, mix 93/100 gas. 345 HP/ 288 TQ (he ran 286/261 TQ @ our last dyno day before carbon clean)

Big props to the RS4 today. The car was properly carbon cleaned and Tony took care of some much needed maintenance items between dyno runs; fuel filter, cleaned the air filter, cleaned the snow filter, new throttle body due to it failing etc. The car responds really well to 100 octane as a few of us had discussed. Ambient temps were also much better today. But look at the DELTA!! I'm glad Tony's car is running really well.

2011 S5 - AWE tuning intake, exhaust cutouts, OE tuning tune. 307 HP/ 275 TQ ( he ran @ our last dyno day without the intake/tune- 264 HP/ 239 TQ)

2011 BMW 1M ??? stock- 356 HP/ 425 TQ

2011 BMW 1M - ESS tune, secondary cat delete, magnaflow axle back - 367 HP/ 424 TQ

2010 BMW 135i (N54)- JB4 tune, downpipes, intake, race gas- 438 HP/ 490 TQ

All in all it was a fun day and I'm glad I kept going back to the same place to really see how the mods have added power.

Last edited by coupesta; 11-13-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Numbers look great. Nice work and information.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

wow... very nice numbers... it's great you have continued to dyno and on the same one to show progress... you need to hit the strip and see what the beast can do... Oh and man those 1M's make some very nice power...
Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by forza1976
Numbers look great. Nice work and information.
Thanks forza.

Originally Posted by primetime
wow... very nice numbers... it's great you have continued to dyno and on the same one to show progress... you need to hit the strip and see what the beast can do... Oh and man those 1M's make some very nice power...
Prime.. thanks. I am very tempted. Probably in the spring before I start some track days.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice work - I plan to do some modding in the Spring.

The 1M numbers look great, but man is that car fugly. I hear BMW is dropping it too.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
hey prime- what race gas are you running? just curious.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

that RS4 dyno'd pretty well, but his 'before and after' is pretty skewed.

On top of carbon cleaning, he also did before vs. after...

93 vs. 97 octane
80 degrees out vs. 55 degrees out
no intake spacers vs. with intake spacers
no h-pipe exhaust crossover vs. with h-pipe
old fuel filter vs. new fuel filter
vacuum leak vs. capped exhaust vacuum lines
failing throttle body vs. new throttle body
maf sensor problem vs. new maf sensor

About all his after dyno charts proved is that ink sticks to paper. Anyway, hopefully he had fun. Good for him to compare his numbers to the other V8 car that was there (the S5).
Old 11-13-2011, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
that RS4 dyno'd pretty well, but his 'before and after' is pretty skewed.

On top of carbon cleaning, he also did before vs. after...

93 vs. 97 octane
80 degrees out vs. 55 degrees out
no intake spacers vs. with intake spacers
no h-pipe exhaust crossover vs. with h-pipe
old fuel filter vs. new fuel filter
vacuum leak vs. capped exhaust vacuum lines
failing throttle body vs. new throttle body
maf sensor problem vs. new maf sensor

About all his after dyno charts proved is that ink sticks to paper. Anyway, hopefully he had fun. Good for him to compare his numbers to the other V8 car that was there (the S5).
Yeah Saki- I agree- definitely not a pre/post dyno and I think he should have done some of the required troubleshooting/maintenance items before the first dyno run @ no limit. His car hasn't been running well for a while.

But I don't think he was aiming to show what a carbon clean could do though, as he did much more than that as you stated. i think he just wanted to see what he could get as a max from a properly running RS4. which it is. The temps definitely helped all of us yesterday.

I didn't know that 100/mixed gas helped the car that much. NY07RS4 mentioned to Tony to add a little.

He definitely had fun. You had to see his face. He was getting crapped on for having a "slow RS4" and sure enough, his car was suffering from a bunch of problems. I kept telling him that it wasn't running right and we did some data logs that didn't line up with what the healthier RS4s were running.

Tony's a good kid. Bottom line- a healthy RS4 is a fun car. Definitely keeps up with a tuned B8 S4 and supports the claim that his car wasn't running well when we did a few runs while I was stock. A 93 tune S4 will only put a car- car and half MAX on him from second and third gear rolls. This has been confirmed on several runs we did.

I can't wait to see it with some JHM goodies. ECU, and piggies/exhaust are in the cards for him in next year I believe.

Paul (NY07RS4) should have his car done soon too. Should be fun.

Last edited by coupesta; 11-13-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coupesta
But I don't think he was aiming to show what a carbon clean could do though, as he did much more than that as you stated. i think he just wanted to see what he could get as a max from a properly running RS4. which it is. The temps definitely helped all of us yesterday.

I didn't know that 100/mixed gas helped the car that much. NY07RS4 mentioned to Tony to add a little.

He definitely had fun. You had to see his face. He was getting crapped on for having a "slow RS4" and sure enough, his car was suffering from a bunch of problems. I kept telling him that it wasn't running right and we did some data logs that didn't line up with what the healthier RS4s were running.

Tony's a good kid. Bottom line- a healthy RS4 is a fun car. Definitely keeps up with a tuned B8 S4 and supports the claim that his car wasn't running well when we did a few runs while I was stock. A 93 tune S4 will only put a car- car and half MAX on him from second and third gear rolls. This has been confirmed on several runs we did.

I can't wait to see it with some JHM goodies. ECU, and piggies/exhaust are in the cards for him in next year I believe.

Paul (NY07RS4) should have his car done soon too. Should be fun.
Yeah, it just seemed funny that he named his thread CARBON CLEANED RS4!!! on audizine lol. The results were unfortunately tough to use to evaluate CB impact.

As I said, the dyno is just a good comparison to the other V8 car that was there. For whatever reason SC cars love the dyno, so looking at delta on dyno for an SC car vs. an NA car isn't going to really predict the race (as you guys showed...your dyno said you should have killed him, but it was sort of close).

p.s. was that leaded race gas that tony put in the car? Won't that trash your cats? I've been meaning to ask the B8 S4 guys who run leaded race gas...is that a concern at all?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No smart B8 S4 guy is running leaded.

Quick Reply: '11 B8 S4 DSG vs 6MT APR Stage 2... Dyno Dynamics @ Elite Motorsports Dyno Day