S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B9 S4 Pilgramage to Audi's Mecca (Ingolstadt)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, I know it's a long drive to Hamburg from where you are. I've done it several times. In fact when I picked up my RS5, my acquaintance, and Audi aficionado himself, joined me in Ingolstadt and then we drove to the Stuttgart area. He lives in Ilsfeld. Next day I hauled up to Hamburg to meet with my brother-in-law from Japan, who coincidentally was on a business trip, and then I continued to Leer visiting a customer of mine. Good times. The A7 through Würzburg to Hamburg is an awesome drive. Nice unrestricted sweeping Autobahn through the mountains.

You might be right on the pay at the pump thing. I think I'm confusing that with Switzerland. Now that I'm thinking about it, the problem in Germany is that some gas stations close for the night, so you can't get gas at all.
You sold me with "unrestricted sweeping Autobahn through the mountains." Now I gotta do it.

You are right about the gas stations closing early, normally at 8pm. That has stung me a few times. There are a few (very few) that stay open 24/7 near the autobahns, mostly for the truckers.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss

You might be right on the pay at the pump thing. I think I'm confusing that with Switzerland. Now that I'm thinking about it, the problem in Germany is that some gas stations close for the night, so you can't get gas at all.
Switzerland, but they only turn on the pay at pump system when they have closed for the evening. You've been away for too long!
Old 02-20-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Switzerland, but they only turn on the pay at pump system when they have closed for the evening. You've been away for too long!
Yes, I actually remember that. I was there over the holidays. I'm trying to visit at least every other year.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

OP, your fine post and pictures bring back memories of my ED last winter. Drove from Ingolstadt to Stuttgart to tour the Porsche assembly line and museum. Ended up visiting the BMW and Mercedes museums too during the trip.

Hoping to return and visit the tech museums in Speyer someday.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
OP, your fine post and pictures bring back memories of my ED last winter. Drove from Ingolstadt to Stuttgart to tour the Porsche assembly line and museum. Ended up visiting the BMW and Mercedes museums too during the trip.

Hoping to return and visit the tech museums in Speyer someday.
Did you buy an Audi via the ED program? Care to opine (on the experience from the US to Europe and back to the US to pick up your new car for the second time?)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Did you buy an Audi via the ED program? Care to opine (on the experience from the US to Europe and back to the US to pick up your new car for the second time?)
Ordered car, Audi ED, from local dealer, they never asked for a deposit I simply paid in full a few days before leaving for Europe. Visited Christmas markets in Austria and Germany prior to picking up my car. Audi driver picked me up at my Munich hotel (not the airport) in an A8L w/ W12 engine. I sat in the passenger seat and we spoke about driving "conventions" in Germany, i.e. what's safe when driving above the speed limit...+10 kph - usually ok; +20 kph - you're pushing it; Autobahn traffic camera - obey speed limit! (I downloaded and reviewed German road & traffic signs prior to the trip.)

Felt a bit strange taking a brand new car with less than 100 miles on the odometer up to 115 mph on the Autobahn, but I was below "the recommended keep it under" 3000 rpm! In addition to picking up the Audi I really wanted to see the Porsche facility. If it weren't the middle of winter I would've spent a lot more time driving around Europe. Drop-off was straightforward.

The worst part was waiting for delivery to the US. Drop-off in mid-Dec, nothing happened until after the holidays, ship departed mid-Jan, arrived San Diego mid-Feb. Reconnected with my car end of Feb...11 weeks later. Total elapsed time from order to US delivery = 6 months. Would I do it again? Absolutely!

Let me know if you have a specific question.

For pix, see #705: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post24953200
Old 02-23-2018, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

One thing to be aware of for those considering ED. You can't take delivery between November and Easter if the car comes with summer performance tires and if it's spec'd with all-season tires, then the top speed is lowered to 130 mph on S models. Winter is generally not the best time to do ED. Besides the tire situation, lots of mountain passes are closed. Best is spring and early summer. If you get too late into summer, then you have to deal with the fact that the factory is essentially closed for the entire month of August, so production gets pushed out and you may get uncomfortably close to the winter. If the production schedule gets delayed past November (summer tires scenario), they will cancel ED and ship the car to the US directly.

The whole process is pretty easy. They have several drop-off locations. Most are located in Germany. There are a couple in France and one in Switzerland (Zurich). I dropped my RS5 off in Zurich. Only constraint is that you can't drop it off on weekends and holidays, so book your flights accordingly.

Pics from my trip if interested: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuRzDfED_xGBrDrMZauopK8dbbmD

Last edited by superswiss; 02-23-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In 2016, there were 17 drop-off locations. However none were in Italy. Most of these also handle drop-off for BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo in addition to Audi.
I found the ED staff at AoA to be very helpful and accommodating.