S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Distortion from speakers or does the B & O just suck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm convinced it's garbage. Thought it could be rattling or lose speaker covers or something along those lines, turns out the B & O is just garbage. Doesn't compare at all to BMW's Harman Kardon. I've noticed speaker distortion on talk radio and on phone calls, even at low to mid-range volume. On music, it really depends on the track, but anything with any kind of "punchy" bass as opposed to softer, flatter bass, seems to make the speakers distort. Not to mention that some of the vocals distort as well. I've tried changing up nearly all of the sound settings, but to no avail.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have to say, looking back at your threads, you seem quite dissatisfied with your S4 overall. Perhaps it's time to just take a loss, trade it in, and get another BMW?

Every car has minor flaws, but I'm going to be on my fifth Audi probably next week, and apart from feeling like my current S6 is too big for my tastes, I have been generally very pleased with them. I have the much less well regarded Bose in my S6 currently and think it's fine, but felt like the BO systems in my two previous B8.5 S4s as well as the Q5 were fantastic.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jayhawkmd
Every car has minor flaws, but I'm going to be on my fifth Audi probably next week, and apart from feeling like my current S6 is too big for my tastes, I have been generally very pleased with them. I have the much less well regarded Bose in my S6 currently and think it's fine, but felt like the BO systems in my two previous B8.5 S4s as well as the Q5 were fantastic.
The B&O system I had in my previous-generation S5 and SQ5 was very good. I would say quite comparable to the HK system in my BMWs. Not sure about the B&O system in the B9 S4 since I don't have it, but this thread is alarming - seems like Audi may have cut some cost there.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They put a little felt tape on it and it fixed about 90% of the problem. I bought some dynamat. It took about 30 minutes to cut it just right, but it completely eliminated the issue. I am getting some rattle from thed door speaker on the passenger side so that is the next spot to fix. I also bought the proper trim tools for a couple bucks. Removing the grill took 30 seconds.

​​​​​​

Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
The B&O system I had in my previous-generation S5 and SQ5 was very good. I would say quite comparable to the HK system in my BMWs. Not sure about the B&O system in the B9 S4 since I don't have it, but this thread is alarming - seems like Audi may have cut some cost there.
I would hate for this thread to be alarming to anyone. I took delivery of my B9 S4 over the weekend and couldn’t be more pleased. No issues with the BO at all. Sounds fantastic.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea what the OP hears but it verges on delusional. The system sounds not only distortion-free but fantastic -- very much comparable to the BMW.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is back at the dealer next week so they can remove the parcel shelf and investigate the rattle. It's buzzing badly at 60Hz. I have also discovered the centre speaker on the top of the dashboard also resonates badly at 255Hz which I've told them about.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a widespread issue. My rear speakers are definitely rattling, will take it to the dealer when I have time.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Can confirm that both my rear speaker deck (ie subwoofer) & front center speakers produce a rattle too. As others have figured out, it's not actually the speakers/sound system that sound distorted, just the grilles that vibrate too much at certain frequencies/volumes. More of an annoyance for those of us who like to turn up the bass. I'm just waiting for my first service to have the dealer fix them while the car is in there.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jayhawkmd
I would hate for this thread to be alarming to anyone. I took delivery of my B9 S4 over the weekend and couldn’t be more pleased. No issues with the BO at all. Sounds fantastic.

I would recommend you run the sine sweep from the beginning of this thread. Do the same in 3 months. I didn't notice any rattle until about 3 months in. The piece of plastic covering the speaker is just flimsy and seems to rattle at just the right frequency. I only noticed it while listening to podcasts.

Quick Reply: Distortion from speakers or does the B & O just suck?